Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:13 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

Now that the Wuhan coronavirus is escalating, I wonder if there will be any service changes due to the outbreak. Crew are already permitted to wear face masks.

Before SARS, long haul business class was served from an open topped trolley. They assembled your meal in front of you placing vegetables and proteins based on your choice onto the plate. During SARS, they implemented the J casserole and wheeled that down the aisle with plastic covers over every casserole.

And then the long haul casseroles remained for 14 years for better or worse because the crew preferred them.

With the new J service, your tray is plated in the galley. Will this change? Either revert back to casseroles or they will put plastic covers over the plates as they are carried to your seat (which really wouldn’t make much difference since the food is uncovered in the galley).

Last edited by sxc; Jan 22, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:26 pm

Completely different. Imagine the food in the open trolley exposing to so many different customers as they wheeled through the aisle!
Sohoboy likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:28 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
@londonexpert true, but you know there will be some overly cautious passengers who won't be happy with how food is currently handled.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:29 pm

Programs: CXAM BAEC
Yes, they should stop food display on trolley.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:51 pm

Programs: CX, Hyatt
Taking the conversation down a different direction, I heard US government is planning to reroute all flights from affected cities at least in China to 5 ports with thermo-imaging. Wonder if CX will have to modify its service from HK to outside of those 5 ports in the US.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:59 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
Wuhan airport is effectively closed to commercial traffic.
Cathay Dragon has suspended all flights to end February
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:49 pm

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Platinum
Does anyone have experience asking them to change your flights to a later date, or waive the no-show or cancellation fees if you are travelling to an affected (but not closed area)?
Have a ticket going to XIY tmr, and don't want to go there anymore.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by sparkj
Does anyone have experience asking them to change your flights to a later date, or waive the no-show or cancellation fees if you are travelling to an affected (but not closed area)?
Have a ticket going to XIY tmr, and don't want to go there anymore.
CX/ KA is now waiving all rebooking, rerouting and refund charges for all tickets to and from China.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...and-china.html
bunkunu likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:01 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
If my ticket validity ends in February, are they extending that until May as well?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by dparkinson
If my ticket validity ends in February, are they extending that until May as well?
  • Revised (NEW) travel date must be on/before 31 May 2020 and subject to flight availability.
    In which case, the ticket expiry date will be adjusted accordingly.

Looks like it, yes.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Central90210
CX/ KA is now waiving all rebooking, rerouting and refund charges for all tickets to and from China.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...and-china.html
It came at the perfect time!
I asked if they could let me know the refund cost of a partially used ticket, but they said they had to calculate it (and the "Finance" fellows are now off for CNY), so they will allow me to choose between a refund or rescheduling the flight later on, while reserving seats on the potential rescheduled date for me. Better than expected CS experience.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
Transferring through HKIA en route to AKL 2/5 - and 2/12. Long layovers have me nervous.

I wonder if they will extend refunds for tickets thru Hong Kong?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:37 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Well we are planning on going to HKG in about 10 days for a 5 day stay at the IC. I booked this 9 months ago. Just hope we can make it there on our LAX-HKG flight. Not sure what we will do if we can't as we scheduled to leave from there to MNL on Feb12th for a very much anticipated philippines beach resort vacation. Oh and these are all award tickets in J booked with AA miles.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 6:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
So Hong Kong just declared a state of emergency because of the coronavirus

I wonder how this is going to affects upcoming flights flying through Hong Kong within the next few weeks
http://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/01/25/h...ronavirus.html
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Cat88L3
I wonder how this is going to affects upcoming flights flying through Hong Kong within the next few weeks
http://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/01/25/h...ronavirus.html
The biggest thing would likely be heavy screening of passengers arriving from China and then possibly suspending flights to additional Chinese destinations (beyond Wuhan) that have a large number of coronavirus patients.

I also picture a LOT more people wearing masks, as effective as they may (or may not) be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.