Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by HGHUA
I wonder if the cargo can justify the route. The JFK flight isn't taking the most optimal route over the pole
Actually it is taking a very optimal route. Russian overflight charges and Polar charges are expensive fuel is cheap, saves money by not going over the Pole
Old Jul 23, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
I wonder if CX will continue all 3 flights to the US now that the testing restriction is in place. Realistically no-one in the US will be able to get a test done within 72 hours and find a letter certifying the lab. Test results are taking a week or more right now in the US.
The testing and lab certification papers are required for transit pax, as well?
Old Jul 23, 2020, 11:46 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I thought I saw it here before
Cap 599E quarantine on rest of world arrivals extended to end of December now
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by brewdog11
The testing and lab certification papers are required for transit pax, as well?
My understanding is yes, anyone who have been in any of the high risk areas in the last 14 days before boarding an aircraft flying to Hong Kong is required to comply with that.

Would be interesting to see if CX will once again scale back the pax operation in USA in Aug and Sep.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:42 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drivingflyingwalking
Actually it is taking a very optimal route. Russian overflight charges and Polar charges are expensive fuel is cheap, saves money by not going over the Pole
interesting, hadn’t considered that
Old Jul 24, 2020, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by patrickw
My understanding is yes, anyone who have been in any of the high risk areas in the last 14 days before boarding an aircraft flying to Hong Kong is required to comply with that.

Would be interesting to see if CX will once again scale back the pax operation in USA in Aug and Sep.
from CX website, it mention that transit pax are not required to comply.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...hong-kong.html

ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 9:16 am

I wonder if CX will continue all 3 flights to the US now that the testing restriction is in place. Realistically no-one in the US will be able to get a test done within 72 hours and find a letter certifying the lab. Test results are taking a week or more right now in the US.

I wonder if the cargo can justify the route. The JFK flight isn't taking the most optimal route over the pole and its gotta be weight restricted normally. I'd say limited to 60,000 lbs at a guess with the lower pax loads. The LAX and SFO routes shouldn't be a huge problem for cargo, if they can find enough. UA is kicking butt on the cargo side of things and runs HKG routes out of LAX and ORD right now even if their pax flight isn't.
Been wondering the same, not just for JFK. Is belly cargo able to justify the continued operating of these pax flights?

Just anecdotal from various FB groups, but it appears loads are very low (below 50%) on the three US routes at the moment, and they are only going to go lower with the latest testing requirement.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
from CX website, it mention that transit pax are not required to comply.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...hong-kong.html
Thanks! I stand corrected.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by fallinasleep
Been wondering the same, not just for JFK. Is belly cargo able to justify the continued operating of these pax flights?

Just anecdotal from various FB groups, but it appears loads are very low (below 50%) on the three US routes at the moment, and they are only going to go lower with the latest testing requirement.
Guess it depends on how much they are able to charge for the freight, I read that freight rates were incredibly high as of late but had started to fall. If I were running things I would be running a daily 777 into LAX and make use of all my codeshare partners to service destinations beyond that!

Same for Europe I would run a daily or double daily 777 into LHR and make use of BA through codeshare to serve the rest of Europe from there.

At this rate CX will need another government bailout! I doubt HKE or KA will resume any sort of normal schedule and flying anytime soon either, the entry restrictions into HKG must be really hurting.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Guess it depends on how much they are able to charge for the freight, I read that freight rates were incredibly high as of late but had started to fall. If I were running things I would be running a daily 777 into LAX and make use of all my codeshare partners to service destinations beyond that!

Same for Europe I would run a daily or double daily 777 into LHR and make use of BA through codeshare to serve the rest of Europe from there.

At this rate CX will need another government bailout! I doubt HKE or KA will resume any sort of normal schedule and flying anytime soon either, the entry restrictions into HKG must be really hurting.
These days it's all about the temp control freight. They can charge $20 a kilo vs say $3 for gen freight. That is if CX has the proper road feeder service network to make the connections to cities with more TC outbound.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold

Freight rates have fallen over 70% ex-China from their May peak. Rates are almost back to pre-Covid. The incentive to use expensive passenger planes just for cargo has fallen dramatically.

As HGHUA stressed, there is still strong demand for TC (temperature controlled) freigh like fresh goods, but demand for general freight has waned.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 8:44 am

Yet Hongkong Post is still suspending regular airmail service to the U.S., and many other destinations. (But the expensive Speedpost service is available.)

I suppose we'll know air freight rates are really down when Amazon U.S. starts offering free shipping to Hong Kong again.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
These days it's all about the temp control freight. They can charge $20 a kilo vs say $3 for gen freight. That is if CX has the proper road feeder service network to make the connections to cities with more TC outbound.
There is still daily 74F service YHZ PEK, the seafood shuttle.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 1:34 am

Reports coming out of HK that new reqs starting the 29th will require air crew to have a covid test within 48 hours of the flight dep from origin OR submit to a test in HK and forced to wait for result or spend 48 hours in a hotel.

Inbound passengers are waiting on avg 12 hours now for initial covid test upon arrival.

Last edited by HGHUA; Jul 26, 2020 at 1:52 am
Old Jul 26, 2020, 1:47 am

Assuming this is true, why say it "pretty much forces the airlines to have 2 crews, stopover to change crew, or just cancel all together." That's just scare-mongering, since as you describe it, airlines will have the option to arrange testing before departure instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.