FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific
Old Jul 25, 2020, 8:28 am
brunos
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by drivingflyingwalking
Guess it depends on how much they are able to charge for the freight, I read that freight rates were incredibly high as of late but had started to fall. If I were running things I would be running a daily 777 into LAX and make use of all my codeshare partners to service destinations beyond that!

Same for Europe I would run a daily or double daily 777 into LHR and make use of BA through codeshare to serve the rest of Europe from there.

At this rate CX will need another government bailout! I doubt HKE or KA will resume any sort of normal schedule and flying anytime soon either, the entry restrictions into HKG must be really hurting.
Freight rates have fallen over 70% ex-China from their May peak. Rates are almost back to pre-Covid. The incentive to use expensive passenger planes just for cargo has fallen dramatically.

As HGHUA stressed, there is still strong demand for TC (temperature controlled) freigh like fresh goods, but demand for general freight has waned.