Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Originally Posted by Redfish NA
(from CX press release) Mr Healy explained: “Despite all these measures, the collapse in passenger revenue to only around 1% of prior year levels has meant that we have been losing cash at a rate of approximately HK$2.5 billion to HK$3 billion per month since February, and the future remains highly uncertain.

They didn't define "losing cash" here, which can be different from operating cash flow and profit defined by accounting rules. A company could "lose cash" when it just pays back debts or buys assets. Don't know how refund fits into the equation. CX has contractual liabilities to buy assets such as aircraft. They may not be able to defer all of the contracted purchases. CX also need to pay back debts as they come due. Probably now it's very difficult for airlines to replace debts with new ones.
The potential refund of all "cash" deposits paid by US airlines is the reason Warren Buffett decided to pull all of his airline stocks investments...lucky they got financing otherwise most would have been insolvent by now.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 9:52 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by brunos
I doubt that "not same day" would raise much traction in the current times where airlines do not fly daily to most destinations.
CX has not flown daily to TPE for a very long time.
Out of curiosity, when did you buy this ticket and when was the flight cancelled?
Flight bought ~10 days prior to departure. Flight cancelled about ~5 day prior to departure. CX has a single flight TPE-HKG most days.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 9:54 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by percysmith
BA has responsibility to facilitate rebooking as CX's ticketing agent.

Not same day may raise some traction, raise a MCOL since you can MCOL BA. But they're kind of broke right now.
Ah, figured it was CX's responsibility since they're the ones who cancelled the flight. In previous instances (e.g. BA ticket CX flight cancellation) I was able to get CX to put me on OZ.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 1:47 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by helvetic
Ah, figured it was CX's responsibility since they're the ones who cancelled the flight. In previous instances (e.g. BA ticket CX flight cancellation) I was able to get CX to put me on OZ.
Generally speaking, ticketing carrier is responsible except if the IRROPs happen on the day of dep. or the day before, in which case the operating carrier should re-accommodate. In reality, airlines like to push you to one another so to not take responsibility. Did your previous instance happen close to dep.?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 3:04 am

Programs: CX, Hyatt
Aug schedule about to be loaded. Will reflect diminished transit demand due to continued restrictions carrying from July.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 7:43 pm

Seem like HK is going to ask travelers from certain high risk areas to provide covid19 negative results test before they are allow to board the flights to HK.

the aircraft will not be permitted to land if the condition is not met.

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...0071400037.htm
Old Jul 13, 2020, 11:54 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
Seem like HK is going to ask travelers from certain high risk areas to provide covid19 negative results test before they are allow to board the flights to HK.

the aircraft will not be permitted to land if the condition is not met.

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...0071400037.htm
Have they announced which are the high risk areas? I couldn’t find the details.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
from this article, they mention India/Nepal/Bangladesh/Pakistan/South Africa/Phillipines and INdonesia.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...airlines-halts
HKGglobaltrotter likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Hyatt
When will Cathay release their August schedule?
Old Jul 17, 2020, 5:14 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
from this article, they mention India/Nepal/Bangladesh/Pakistan/South Africa/Phillipines and INdonesia.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...airlines-halts
巴基斯坦、印度、孟加拉、尼泊爾和南非: Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Nepal and South Africa

???? i-CABLE - ?????????????????????????????
Old Jul 17, 2020, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
巴基斯坦、印度、孟加拉、尼泊爾和南非: Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Nepal and South Africa

???? i-CABLE - ?????????????????????????????
7 countries inclusive of Philippines and Indonesia. Wef 25/7

https://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/202...00822_001.html
Old Jul 22, 2020, 3:24 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
USA and kazakshstan are added to high risk country.
ernestnywang and tentseller like this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 6:44 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by 889
Those arriving from the U.S. are now going to be subject to the same strict rules as those arriving from India, Indonesia, etc.
I was about to write why is US subject to 72 hour test, but now I have my answer:

Originally Posted by pbd456
USA and kazakshstan are added to high risk country.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
deleted

Last edited by brewdog11; Jul 22, 2020 at 5:47 pm Reason: Found more appropriate thread to post question
Old Jul 23, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I wonder if CX will continue all 3 flights to the US now that the testing restriction is in place. Realistically no-one in the US will be able to get a test done within 72 hours and find a letter certifying the lab. Test results are taking a week or more right now in the US.

I wonder if the cargo can justify the route. The JFK flight isn't taking the most optimal route over the pole and its gotta be weight restricted normally. I'd say limited to 60,000 lbs at a guess with the lower pax loads. The LAX and SFO routes shouldn't be a huge problem for cargo, if they can find enough. UA is kicking butt on the cargo side of things and runs HKG routes out of LAX and ORD right now even if their pax flight isn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.