Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who are the ugly DMs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by sscywong
That's my discretion to tips them. In your suggested scenario I assume what you were saying is some DYKWIA DM asked for something cross class, I complain, and ISM tried to offer me the same cross class product and ask me not to make the complain... I'll call this bribery
If we accept the premise that CX goes to great lengths to accommodate to their DMs, I can only assume the ISM is trying her best here to please not only one DM, but now two.

In this case, I almost wished well-behaving DMs would publicly shame bad-behaving DMs to spare the ISM of this awkward situation.

Surely the above-and-beyond service attitude to DM's is one of CX's few remaining competitive advantages when compared to the likes of SQ, JL, QR, etc.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
Surely the above-and-beyond service attitude to DM's is one of CX's few remaining competitive advantages when compared to the likes of SQ, JL, QR, etc.
But very unfortunately this has resulted in more and more DYKWIA bad a**... Taking all and every tiny bit of advantage, exploiting the system for their own benefit at the expense of all other fellow DMs... or simply all passengers...
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
A small anecdote

Wellll let me add my own anecdote from last week!

Last week, I'm flying CX J CDG-HKG. 77H. I boarded about 20 minutes before departure, after J was full but Y pax still going by.

I was in the main dorm room cabin A side. I get held up in the galley as I'm trying to walk aft to my seat. Line isn't moving briefly, say 20-30 seconds. Because the passenger in 15A is standing in it, loudly communicating to an FA perhaps 5-6 rows back (louder voice than "saying" but quieter than "yelling"), "I am a Diamond member! I am a Diamond member! I don't like this seat! I am a Diamond member! I don't like this seat!"

He had been assigned to 15A, the seat on 77H with no windows. That seat's plusses and minuses go both ways although overall I don't like it due to my preference for looking out. It DOES generally get the best service of the main dorm room cabin, close (but not precisely) to as good as mini-cabin service. Unfortunately, you have no windows which I don't really like.

I can't say this fellow was a good look at all for the rest of us Diamond members. Rather embarrassing disposition.

I sat down in my seat, row 18, and the guy continued on for quite some time. He quit blocking the aisle, but he was standing in his pod yelling back at the FAs "I am a Diamond member! I don't like this seat!" He eventually got swapped with an ID pax who was sitting at the back of the cabin, one of the high 20 rows.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by QRC3288
....."I am a Diamond member! I am a Diamond member! I don't like this seat! I am a Diamond member! I don't like this seat!".......
Reminds me of.....

Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:05 pm

No need to trial "meal on demand" for the Chicago sector in J....it's available for HKG-SIN in EY.

Diamond member wants to delay this meal on this 3 hours 25 min flight. Insisted that his meal should only be served during the last hour.....

After they cleared all the meal trays for the EY, they told him that they were heating his food to make sure he gets his exclusive meal piping hot....so that he finished it just in time for the landing.

(Audio)

Last edited by Audio; Jun 15, 2017 at 10:51 pm
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by Audio
Do need to trial "meal on demand" for the Chicago sector in J....it available for HKG-SIN in EY.

Diamond member wants to delay this meal on this 3 hours 25 min flight. Insisted that his meal should only be served during the last hour.....

After they cleared all the meal trays for the EY, they told him that they are heating his food to make sure he gets his exclusive meal piping hot....so that he finished it just in time for the landing.

(Audio)
I'd like to see that person try this on a HKG-TPE hop
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by 24left
"Never go anywhere empty-handed and always write a thank-you note."

Not really the modern world nor always applicable when flying, but still.
I think these days a handwritten thank you note has extra meaning now. I carry personal stationary for moments like this

That's my discretion to tips them. In your suggested scenario I assume what you were saying is some DYKWIA DM asked for something cross class, I complain, and ISM tried to offer me the same cross class product and ask me not to make the complain... I'll call this bribery
Well that's just the ISM getting themselves in a whole crock of manure. What happens when all the DMs on the flight then ask for the same thing.

Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
In this case, I almost wished well-behaving DMs would publicly shame bad-behaving DMs to spare the ISM of this awkward situation.
I think this could be said about any bad flyer regardless of FF status.

I was in the main dorm room cabin A side. I get held up in the galley as I'm trying to walk aft to my seat. Line isn't moving briefly, say 20-30 seconds. Because the passenger in 15A is standing in it, loudly communicating to an FA perhaps 5-6 rows back (louder voice than "saying" but quieter than "yelling"), "I am a Diamond member! I am a Diamond member! I don't like this seat! I am a Diamond member! I don't like this seat!"
This is so shameful it's comical. This guy has no idea that he's the only one who looks like a fool. Goes to show that money doesn't buy class. It would have been even funnier if he was an op up and they told him that they reaccommodated him back to his original seat.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by SilverChris
I'd like to see that person try this on a HKG-TPE hop
Personal experience:

I was once op-up to F on HKG-TPE in the morning. Forgot why I was extremely tired and feel asleep from push back till 45 mins to TPE.... Once I woke up I asked if I could still have breakfast... Then the crew very efficiently have it all served (and I have them all finished) right at the time they started to prepare the cabin for landing...

But that's F which has dine on demand... For J... I guess that DYKWIA DM can have the pre-set tray for sure... And some bread maybe...
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Personal experience:

I was once op-up to F on HKG-TPE in the morning. Forgot why I was extremely tired and feel asleep from push back till 45 mins to TPE.... Once I woke up I asked if I could still have breakfast... Then the crew very efficiently have it all served (and I have them all finished) right at the time they started to prepare the cabin for landing...

But that's F which has dine on demand... For J... I guess that DYKWIA DM can have the pre-set tray for sure... And some bread maybe...
45 mins out of TPE would mean 15 minutes after leaving HKG? That doesn't sound too bad.

I once only got my food 35 mins out of TPE, in F as well, which made me gobble down my dim sum as the captain made his pre-arrival announcement. And this was when I was wide awake, though the crew had to deal with a difficult DM traveling with his family. First time I've seen 4 people (2x2) dining together in F, let alone on HKG-TPE
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kaka
Do you ever tip anyone
Never on board

Other places? Yes though rarely (except in N. America where I simply can't skip the tips)

BUT

Equally it could be said its your discretion to tip them today for a future return of favor, which is still bribery.

Also, i never asked (nor yannerd, if i understood correctly) if you would accept the food/amenities from F when flying J because some DYKWIA DM asked for something cross class, you complain, and ISM tried to offer you the same cross class product and ask you not to make the complain.
So equally speaking the FA could have been offering you a nicer meal that you wanted out of discretion.

Originally Posted by yannerd
On the flip side, would you accept the food/amenities from F when flying J because you're a valued DM? Or would you still complain if you were offered the same as the other DM?
1. I never request nor being offered cross class amenities / food / whatever as DM

2. The one and only time I was offered F lunch in J was when I was GO flying a D fare ticket. The meal choices were lamb (which I don't eat), fish and forgot what it was (where I strongly not prefer it, should be like something super spicy or extremely heavily flavoured). I told the FP that I'd choose to skip the entree after few minutes of consideration. Then after confirming that there's excess fish entree in F FP provided me with the fish entree from F

3. Yes, as I won't take it. I'll even file one more "charge" against the ISM as (s)he tries to bribe me (technically speaking that's bribery)
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yannerd
Well that's just the ISM getting themselves in a whole crock of manure. What happens when all the DMs on the flight then ask for the same thing.
I agree. Methinks they would either proactively do it so everyone is happy; or do it so noone else know. I doubt they would do it so everyone else knows aka spoil the party.

The one who love to spoil the party is CX itself, when dealing with complaints. (See Chee Gor incident and the other HKAA upper management staff incident)
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Flying HKG-LAX in W, I was pretty sleepy and had already had a nice meal in the QF J lounge, so I wasn't hungry at meal service time and just wanted some water.

FA warned me that meals had to be served within the hour because they had already been heated. I told her that it was ok, and I knew the parameters and I'd get back to her if I changed my mind. I ended up dozing off again and missing the meal. I then nodded off again before landing and missed the second meal too, I guess I've had too much airline food these years
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:44 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
"I am a Diamond member! I am a Diamond member! I don't like this seat! I am a Diamond member! I don't like this seat!"
This reminds me of my last flight to Manila. While waiting to board the flight, I was about 5th in line in the Business/MP line, and this Filipino couple goes to the front of the line shouting "I'm a business diamond member! Business Diamond Member here! Where's my line?". Counter exec told them to go to the back of the line and they refused. Caused a scene saying they're not moving and expect to go on first. By the time they were finished their rant i think the whole gate knew they were diamond members lol.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Flying HKG-LAX in W, I was pretty sleepy and had already had a nice meal in the QF J lounge, so I wasn't hungry at meal service time and just wanted some water.

FA warned me that meals had to be served within the hour because they had already been heated. I told her that it was ok, and I knew the parameters and I'd get back to her if I changed my mind. I ended up dozing off again and missing the meal. I then nodded off again before landing and missed the second meal too, I guess I've had too much airline food these years
tell them their food is bad for ur health
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kaka
tell them their food is bad for ur health
I think any food that is preceded by the word "airline" is bad for your health

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.