Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who are the ugly DMs?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
The thing is, why shouldnt the owe/dm/go be given some preferential treatment if they in general brings cx heaps of revenue? It wouldnt be of the benefit of cx and shareholders not to do so.

we just hv to draw the line somewhere.
If CX chooses to make something into an official (if not necessarily published) benefit, then that would be fine. By all means, they are free to make it official that DM get a champagne in Y, for example.

But when people are demanding all manner of things they are not entitled to, just because they feel that they should be, that's a very different matter. Even worse when they bring the attitude to go with it.
Old May 7, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Honestly think after reading some of these outrages requests and the attitude when denied to go with it here that people have claimed to see and have heard about that they should be stripped down a tier or kicked out of the club full stop.
Old May 7, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Yeah, it would be really bad for them not to respond to your complaint. I have never complained about CX yet, but do normally fill out a comment card with compliments to the lounge staff and crew onboard.
I found that more than two third of my complains were against the ground... Mostly outport ground... Usually only got canned reply from CX... (p.s. online complaint form as I don't know should I get a complaint form from the cabin crew to complain about the ground....)

And usually I'll write a compliments (online as well) after I've filed a complaint... Try to avoid filing two complains in a row

Originally Posted by jasjasper
Quite, but even the best of ISM on CX couldn't beat the QF charm - CX greeting just comes across as, well, you said it, SOP... I much prefer a genuine greet and chat rather than a generic presentation of a water bottle.

On a tangent, on the topic of water bottles - I was presented a water bottle ICNHKG few days ago as the SOP greetings- little miss grumpy in 39A (i was in 39C) saw my shiny Evian and asked ISM for some water - BC brought back a plastic glass - 39A tasted the water, and the conversation goes:

39A: I don't want this tap water. I don't drink tap water. And your water tastes disgusting
BC: Sorry miss. Would you like any other drink?
39A: No, I want bottled water. Evian
BC: errrrrrr. Let me check with my colleague
FP arrives: Hello miss. I'm sorry but bottled water are reserved for our top tier members
39A: I'm a member too. Why don't I deserve one? I simply can't drink the tap water on the plane. It's disgusting
FP: Sorry miss, from our records, you're a MPC green...

bla bla bla gets boring. Had I not taken a sip out of my bottle, I'd have just given her my bottle to shut her up. Talk about SOP backfiring....
If I were you... Had I not taken a sip out of my bottle (which usually didn't until mid-flight) I'll open that right away in front of her, drink it and give her a big "blup" Or less evil, ask the cabin crew for a cup of tap water and drink it, keep that bottle unopened throughout the entire flight...

BTW did you ask for a comment card to praise the crew for not pampering the GR girl?

Originally Posted by cysyuen
No. I don't ask for a pre-flight drink. I would have had my stomach full of food and drink ex-HKG in the lounges before travelling.
You can order that in HKG lounge if you really want that. I'd also recommend you not to ask for one in Y to avoid getting embarrassed or hated / named in CX Secret later...
Old May 7, 2017, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Get a btl in lounge
empty the water
fill up with cathay delight
board
ask for a cathay delight
if they say no, ask for a cup
take out btl and enjoy
Old May 7, 2017, 9:04 am

Get a btl in lounge
empty the water
fill up with cathay delight
board
ask for a cathay delight
if they say no, ask for a cup
take out btl and enjoy
Or ask for the ingredients and mix it yourself in Y

p.s. Is Kiwi juice served in Y? Or served separately at all?

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
The recipe published in my local tabloid.

Cathay Delight

2 teaspoons Coconut Milk
4 Tablespoons fresh milk
1/2 cup Kiwi juice
3 mint leaves for garnish

Combine liquid ingredients in a cocktail shaker with crushed ice. Strain into a wine glass. Garnish with mint leaves.

Recommended appetisers:
parmesan cheese cup with shrimp
scallop and asparagus with sundreid tomato dressing
Old May 7, 2017, 9:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sscywong
Or ask for the ingredients and mix it yourself in Y

p.s. Is Kiwi juice served in Y? Or served separately at all?
No wonder i dislike it. I hate coconut milk with a passion. Now that you talk about it...
Old May 7, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
The thing is, why shouldnt the owe/dm/go be given some preferential treatment if they in general brings cx heaps of revenue? It wouldnt be of the benefit of cx and shareholders not to do so.

we just hv to draw the line somewhere.
I totally agree with you on this one. Some preferential treatment is okay, but they need to keep them within the cabin/class the passenger is traveling. Asking for something from Business or First is totally unnecessary. It's not like CX's wines are spectacular anyway. I saw an FB post recently where an male ISM/SP was in PEY/EY holding a tray of what looks like wine from J being offered to a passenger. The guy who posted it said that someone else asked if they could have some, to which the crew declined. I think if they would do something like this, they should at least be discreet about it.

Getting pre order of meals or snacks and a bottled water I think should be enough for many OWE/DMs to feel special.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I totally agree with you on this one. Some preferential treatment is okay, but they need to keep them within the cabin/class the passenger is traveling. Asking for something from Business or First is totally unnecessary. It's not like CX's wines are spectacular anyway. I saw an FB post recently where an male ISM/SP was in PEY/EY holding a tray of what looks like wine from J being offered to a passenger. The guy who posted it said that someone else asked if they could have some, to which the crew declined. I think if they would do something like this, they should at least be discreet about it.

Getting pre order of meals or snacks and a bottled water I think should be enough for many OWE/DMs to feel special.
I too feel given J meals in Y (or PY or whichever way you look at it) a bit over the top and have declined as a OWE. I was with my gf who sat next to me on a 2-4-2 sitting and got offered. so even had i taken it it doesnt feel that odd (I think i upgraded my gf's original-seatbuddy with the approval of ISM)... but had i been by myself i would feel really awkward to be eating sth my seat neighbour isnt offered (unless the ISM can present it really well, like saying how they didnt cater enough Y meals for everyone).

but heck, i was filled up by the JAL Curry regardless to what they serve.

then again, one thing i really like is Hot Chocolate night cap on redeyes even in Y (Do they serve this in the lounge?).
Old May 8, 2017, 9:31 am

The only time I got cross class meal offer (except in PEY long haul where one of the entrée is same as J but whole PEY have it right) was back in the old days when I was on 744 to NRT on the upper deck... Three choices back then were fish (sold out when they came to me), lamb (I don't eat lamb), and I forgot what it was (just remember that it was something no one would be willing to choose at all)...

The CP saw me looked very difficult for nearly half a minute when I told her I wanted fish and she told me they ran-out of it already but still very reluctant to pick the entrée (actually I had told her that I'll drop the entrée already in that case)... Then after five minutes she offered me the F fish entrée... And told me don't let other one knows (c'mon... I was flying myself and who can peek what the other was doing in FB1? )
Old May 8, 2017, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sscywong
The only time I got cross class meal offer (except in PEY long haul where one of the entrée is same as J but whole PEY have it right) was back in the old days when I was on 744 to NRT on the upper deck... Three choices back then were fish (sold out when they came to me), lamb (I don't eat lamb), and I forgot what it was (just remember that it was something no one would be willing to choose at all)...

The CP saw me looked very difficult for nearly half a minute when I told her I wanted fish and she told me they ran-out of it already but still very reluctant to pick the entrée (actually I had told her that I'll drop the entrée already in that case)... Then after five minutes she offered me the F fish entrée... And told me don't let other one knows (c'mon... I was flying myself and who can peek what the other was doing in FB1? )
i think thats the only possible reason where one was given a cross class meal. Even better it can be executed discretely.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
There's nothing wrong with Cathay offering "above and beyond" services. I've never asked for things in First Class when I fly C-class. However, sometimes the ISM will proactively offer me dining options from First Class, to that I won't say no to (since C class food are so pathetic).

Now, I'm sure some people who had experience such offering, made it an expectation, and every time they fly they expect food from the class above. Which I believe is where the problem begins.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
There's nothing wrong with Cathay offering "above and beyond" services. I've never asked for things in First Class when I fly C-class. However, sometimes the ISM will proactively offer me dining options from First Class, to that I won't say no to (since C class food are so pathetic).

Now, I'm sure some people who had experience such offering, made it an expectation, and every time they fly they expect food from the class above. Which I believe is where the problem begins.
I was offered caviar from the ISM once when I was flying Y. That was about 10 years ago with very few DMs on the SFO route those days. I actually declined the offer - not that I didn't like caviar, but seemed to be not quite a fit in the Y cabin.

I do agree that people get spoiled and expect something beyond treatment associated with their CoS. I still remember those days when I expected adjacent seat blocked when I was flying Y.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I was offered caviar from the ISM once when I was flying Y. That was about 10 years ago with very few DMs on the SFO route those days. I actually declined the offer - not that I didn't like caviar, but seemed to be not quite a fit in the Y cabin.

I do agree that people get spoiled and expect something beyond treatment associated with their CoS. I still remember those days when I expected adjacent seat blocked when I was flying Y.
Well you can now expect that when flying BA in Y with their theoretical seating
Old May 9, 2017, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cysyuen
Well you can now expect that when flying BA in Y with their theoretical seating
i would, however, expect the empty seats to be next to non-exit row DMs and not some random singleton seats at row 60.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:19 pm

I had an interesting chat with an FA on my last flight. She gave some interesting insights into how Cathay treats it's MPC members. Her thoughts were that Cathay goes out of it's way to retain DMs and DMs only, anyone else seems to be inconsequential.

A lot of the ISMs are lifers in the company and still live and breathe the company so they're all very happy to give DMs the unpublished perks like cheese plates and caviar. The ISMs of course don't care as they just tell the FP and BC folks to do the serving but the crew don't like doing it only because it leaves them short staffed for all the other stuff that needs to get done. The extra perks seemed to have become ingrained now though and to the point where she has gotten DMs who tell will tell her that they don't eat the Y garbage and that she better bring something from the front of the plane. If she tells them she's not able to offer them the F or J food, they just ask for a comment card to write her up.

On a similar note, she did mention that Hong Kongers are the worst flyers of any group. They're incredibly demanding and still expect to be treated like royalty when flying CX.

What's also interesting is that in her opinion, positive comment cards don't mean anything nor help with promotions and such but negative comment cards will get the crew members an immediate talking to from management.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.