Wiki Posts
Search

Recent F experience

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wideman
The LH business class lounge is the Senator lounge, and yes, it is (usually) crowded and (always) unexceptional. The excellent LH lounge is their First Class Lounge (and in FRA, the additional FC Terminal) -- however, that is reserved only for LH top tier (HON) and customer flying LH/LX F. You don't get into the FC lounge even if you're flying Star Alliance F.
LH Business Class lounge is the Business Lounge, not the Senator Lounge. Senator Lounge is technically a *First Class* lounge where Star Gold members can access. The lounge naming convention is a little confusing, the fact is LH has 3 tiers of lounges where Business Class pax without status can only access the first tier, the LH Business Lounge.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by Guava
LH Business Class lounge is the Business Lounge, not the Senator Lounge. Senator Lounge is technically a *First Class* lounge where Star Gold members can access. The lounge naming convention is a little confusing, the fact is LH has 3 tiers of lounges where Business Class pax without status can only access the first tier, the LH Business Lounge.
That's exactly what I thought. There are clearly different signs in the terminal pointing at different directions, one for Senator Lounge and another for Business lounge so I am certain they weren't the same.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
That's exactly what I thought. There are clearly different signs in the terminal pointing at different directions, one for Senator Lounge and another for Business lounge so I am certain they weren't the same.
You are correct, they are not the same at all. Senator Lounge is much nicer than the Business Lounge in every aspect. Prior to the introduction of the LH First Class Terminal/Lounges, the Senator Lounge was Lufthansa's top lounge brand. My guess is CX is betting on most of its HK customers traveling to/from Germany being ignorant of how the LH Lounge system works. But CX really should have paid for you to use the Senator Lounge given that you were a paying First Class customer and because that's what other top airlines do in similar situation where its own lounge or alliance partner lounge is unavailable or even if the lounge class is too low. Air France, for example, paid to have its First Class pax using the Oneworld First Class lounge ex-LAX even though there is a Skyteam lounge (Business class only) in LAX. JL paid for its customers to use the F section of AF lounge ex-JFK. QR paid for its First Class customers to use Thai First Class lounge ex-BKK while sending its business class pax to Thai Royal Orchid Lounges (Business class).

It's little details like this that shows to what point the CX management is busy cutting corners here and there. How much are they going to save by paying for LH Business lounge access vs. Senator Lounge? We are literally talking about dollars and cents here. Why mess with the perception of premium customers if you are going to try to maintain and market an Int'l First Class product over what, 10 bucks? This is not a well thought out business decision.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:05 am

I just flew back from DUS this week and I was the only pax in F. The last time I had the entire cabin by myself was TPE-HKG on a 747 like 2 years ago. Never had it happen on longhauls since my usual ports are SFO, LAX, LHR, CDG which are all F heavy routes.

Anyway, here's my thought on the overall F experience ex-DUS:

Ground experience and lounge - CX sends their premium pax (including F pax like myself) to LH business lounge. I was a bit surprised they wouldn't send F pax to LH Senator lounge at least. The flight was departing from Terminal A where a Senator lounge is available. The LH Business lounge has nothing to write home about, in fact it was dull and dull. It was quite busy during the late morning hours (I was only there for 15 mins). Pax will need to go through passport control before reaching the non-Schengen gates in Terminal A. The area around the gates are really small and boarding seems a bit messy. They have the auto-gates where pax have to scan the boarding pass themselves. The strangest part was that they started boarding inside the terminal but the air bridge was still being blocked off (i.e. it was not ready for boarding) so I along with other fellow pax have been hanging around at the air bridge for like 3-4 mins. No big deal but this really shouldn't be happened in the first place. Overall the ground experience was not good at DUS. It all seemed a bit disorganised and the lounge experience was clearly quite disappointing.

On board experience: It was great being the only F pax as 1) it would never run out of meal choices as all the dishes were available to me and 2) I could have a seat for sleeping and another seat for eating/watching movie, etc. The service was very attentive and friendly. Both the crew were quite chatty nonetheless they knew when to stop and allow me to dine, watch movie or sleep. I can't say enough how much I like CX service style in F. That is crew would always be there for you if need be (press the call button and they'll show up within 10 sec usually!) or otherwise they would leave you alone. Some posters in other threads may not like this style but as a CX regular F flyer I love it. Overall, a flawless service!

F&B experience: I think many would agree with me that this area has been CX's weakest. And yes it still is. I had opt for the lamb loin as my main which was a mistake. The loin was so thick and dry that I ended up sending back and had the spring chicken instead (which was also just average). I must say the downgrade on F&B offering on CX is quite apparent overall the past few years. But it was really the wine list that I think is the real downer on CX. One - they hardly rotate their regular wine list (I have seen the same wine on all my F flights this year - Shingleback Shiraz - if that rings a bell). Two - the promotion wine was just bad. It's amazing they actually hire wine consultants for this! As a wine importer myself, I simply couldn't quite believe what they are serving in F these days. Flew on SQ F to SYD this year, their wine list is just from a different league let's say!

Overall, I still think CX F is a very solid product and one of the best in the sky. They have the best hardware imho (being semi-open plan yet still feel private) and certainly the best service (being a DM in F in an empty cabin!)...now if they could really start fixing the F&B part...
Well, I'm flying this route in F next month. Did you get fast track security access in DUS? Till now we are also the only passengers in F on both outbound and return... Let's hope it stays this way
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Im flying F - JFK-HKG in April. Very excited. Used Asia Miles to upgrade the one way from a J booking. Cost me 60K.

Question - does FA know who is a paid passenger and who is an upgrade passenger?

Can I assume there is no difference in treatment in F?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Just a couple of things to be aware of ........ There will be a (fairly discrete) card pinned just above the headrest of your seat saying "Upgraded with miles, please handle accordingly". Plus, your IFE selection will be somewhat restricted and several of the more recent/popular releases (both music & film) may not be available to you.

Really sorry ... silly jokes .... I just couldn't resist .

Suffice to say, there will be absolutely no difference wrt your treatment. And yes, on some carriers, crew can see info on upgrades (whether op-ups/miles etc..) but I can't speak personally for CX, other folk here will know.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
My understanding has always been that all those who paid (whether in money or miles) to be in F get absolutely equal treatment. Those there by op-up in a full cabin may be given last choice on menu items, but it my experience (albeit a little dated now) that was very rarely an issue.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by christep
My understanding has always been that all those who paid (whether in money or miles) to be in F get absolutely equal treatment. Those there by op-up in a full cabin may be given last choice on menu items, but it my experience (albeit a little dated now) that was very rarely an issue.
They usually take pre-orders from passengers and let them eat whenever they like... So "last choice" is a concept usually not applicable to F...

And with relatively rich offering it's really rare to run out of selection in F...
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:40 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by sscywong
They usually take pre-orders from passengers and let them eat whenever they like... So "last choice" is a concept usually not applicable to F...

And with relatively rich offering it's really rare to run out of selection in F...
I've flown plenty of CX F, so I understand the principle, but I have once or twice been there on an op-up where I was clearly invited to pre-order last (not in the natural order of proceeding seat to seat) and I do recall once being told (as an op-up) that a certain dish was already "sold out". There was still plenty of food though, and I've never managed to drink an F cabin out of Krug!

Last edited by christep; Jan 9, 2016 at 11:58 am
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:44 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by sscywong

They only load 4 steaks on a full flight (ex-HKG) so if you're the 5th pax wanting steak....

and they definitely ran out of choices on a flight I took from US back to HK last year as the crew told me they only had 1 lobster congee and 2 pax asking for it at bfast!
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by elg26
Question - does FA know who is a paid passenger and who is an upgrade passenger?

Can I assume there is no difference in treatment in F?
1) the FAs only know if you're an op-up or not. Op-ups are usually indicated in the galley map by an up arrow. Cash fares, Asia Miles awards (whether straight or upgrade), and partner awards look the same to FAs on board.

It MAY be possible for the ISM to discern how passengers paid, but in practice I have never once seen this nor seen any difference in service. And fwiw, I've flown F in just about every manner possible: op-up, cash (both F and A tickets), cash upgrade at airport to F from J, Asia Miles straight redemption, Asia Miles upgrade redemption from cash J ticket, and a partner redemption award. The ONLY time I see a difference is if I'm op-upped.

2) there are two variables for treatment on-board: your status, and if you're an op-up or not.

Op-up is usually the last meal choice, and IME it is common that sometimes food choices run out. There is always enough food - no chance someone is going hungry - but simple fact is CX usually doesn't load one of everything, and I believe catering is based on some formula whereby op-ups are not included. As both an op-up and paid pax, it seems almost every CX F flight I see these days something is running out, particularly if the pax are aggressive eaters or the seats are 6/6 full. When I'm an op-up it frequently happens to me. And as a revenue pax a few months ago, I saw the gentleman next to me in 2D not have the steak available, which he wanted. He was a DM, fwiw, but he was the only op-up in the cabin and he was indeed offered last.

For food order, elite status is usually followed. Although food is any time ordering usually the FAs will approach you right after takeoff, and see what you'd like. This is the process they do on elite order. I find that paid/miles DMs are almost universally offered meal choice first. I'm not sure where OWE stacks up, but I recall FAs moving down the status hierarchy to offer meals. Often in F some of many pax don't have status.

Lastly, if you're on a cash J + Asia Miles award, your revenue contribution is undoubtedly higher than the partner redemptions and even straight Asia Miles redemptions sitting in F. Heck, if you're upgrading from a full fare J ticket, you might be giving higher revenues than an A fare or corporate deal cash pax.

Last edited by QRC3288; Jan 9, 2016 at 9:54 am
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by QRC3288
1) the FAs only know if you're an op-up or not. Op-ups are usually indicated in the galley map by an up arrow. Cash fares, Asia Miles awards (whether straight or upgrade), and partner awards look the same to FAs on board.

It MAY be possible for the ISM to discern how passengers paid, but in practice I have never once seen this nor seen any difference in service. And fwiw, I've flown F in just about every manner possible: op-up, cash (both F and A tickets), cash upgrade at airport to F from J, Asia Miles straight redemption, Asia Miles upgrade redemption from cash J ticket, and a partner redemption award. The ONLY time I see a difference is if I'm op-upped.

2) there are two variables for treatment on-board: your status, and if you're an op-up or not.

Op-up is usually the last meal choice, and IME it is common that sometimes food choices run out. There is always enough food - no chance someone is going hungry - but simple fact is CX usually doesn't load one of everything, and I believe catering is based on some formula whereby op-ups are not included. As both an op-up and paid pax, it seems almost every CX F flight I see these days something is running out, particularly if the pax are aggressive eaters or the seats are 6/6 full. When I'm an op-up it frequently happens to me. And as a revenue pax a few months ago, I saw the gentleman next to me in 2D not have the steak available, which he wanted. He was a DM, fwiw, but he was the only op-up in the cabin and he was indeed offered last.

For food order, elite status is usually followed. Although food is any time ordering usually the FAs will approach you right after takeoff, and see what you'd like. This is the process they do on elite order. I find that paid/miles DMs are almost universally offered meal choice first. I'm not sure where OWE stacks up, but I recall FAs moving down the status hierarchy to offer meals. Often in F some of many pax don't have status.

Lastly, if you're on a cash J + Asia Miles award, your revenue contribution is undoubtedly higher than the partner redemptions and even straight Asia Miles redemptions sitting in F. Heck, if you're upgrading from a full fare J ticket, you might be giving higher revenues than an A fare or corporate deal cash pax.
As a OWE, I was offered meal first on a 6/6 HKG-JFK flight 3 weeks ago. Sitting in 2K, the purser come to me first, and then to 1K, followed by 1D, and 2D (2D seems like a relative to captain (probably wife).
Old Jan 10, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
They only load 4 steaks on a full flight (ex-HKG) so if you're the 5th pax wanting steak....

and they definitely ran out of choices on a flight I took from US back to HK last year as the crew told me they only had 1 lobster congee and 2 pax asking for it at bfast!
I really flew too little F... Once on KA (op-up on 900), Twice on CX (once A-card upgrade on Miles upgraded U (from W) to LHR, once op-up from GV2 I to TPE) (c'mon... I'm mostly SH flyer as many of you know )

Didn't had such "problem" in those 3 occasions... Lucky
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
As a OWE, I was offered meal first on a 6/6 HKG-JFK flight 3 weeks ago. Sitting in 2K, the purser come to me first, and then to 1K, followed by 1D, and 2D (2D seems like a relative to captain (probably wife).
Then my guess is OWE will rank above everyone but DM for the timing of the ordering process. Thanks.

I'll add that the REALLY limited item is the Kaiseki menu from KIX and HND; if you're an op-up on that flight, it is unlikely you'll receive it. Since most of the passengers order it IME. I've flown those routes both as revenue and op-up and only got the Kaiseki menu when I was a revenue pax; each time I was op-up it ran out before getting to me.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
Z bucket for kaiseki?

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Then my guess is OWE will rank above everyone but DM for the timing of the ordering process. Thanks.

I'll add that the REALLY limited item is the Kaiseki menu from KIX and HND; if you're an op-up on that flight, it is unlikely you'll receive it. Since most of the passengers order it IME. I've flown those routes both as revenue and op-up and only got the Kaiseki menu when I was a revenue pax; each time I was op-up it ran out before getting to me.
This is worrying ... seeing that I'm on a BA redemption, and right now the seat-selection page is showing 6/9, I wonder what my chances are w/o any status with CX? *fingers 'n toes*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.