Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent F experience

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Recent F experience

I recently flew HKG-ORD and JFK-YVR-HKG in F and noticed few small things different than my previous CX F flights.

1. No more note cards at meal service. I always thought this was a nice, thoughtful small gesture. But perhaps most pax just don't see the need for it?
2. No flowers on the wall mounted vase.
3. Amenity kit case is now a very plain looking Aesop one. I love Aesop products, but the case is not good looking. I even prefer the Agnes B ones they distribute in J. Too bad they stopped distributing the Tumi or Zegna kits.

I love CX F seat, but meals are still the least impressive part of the flights (huge chunk of steak doesn't always mean it's a good slab of meat).

On my HKG-ORD flight, I was seated in 2A and during taxiing prior to take off, all I could hear was the purser discussing her work details with another attendant - she was very loud.

The very comfy seat and the cabana at HKG's lounge are 2 most favorite things about CX F.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:34 pm

How recently? I flew HKG-ORD on Jan. 3. Got the note, saw the flowers, didn't notice the amenity kit since I always turn them down.

PS The note is not a "thoughtful gesture". It is something they are required to do by HQ. It's like when they smile at you, don't fool yourself that they like you.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:26 pm

I landed this morning from LAX also in 2A. Got the note but the text was written by someone then signed by the first attendants. Didn't notice flowers and though I didn't keep the new Aesop case, it's an improvement over the useless Trussardi women's cases.

The food is not that great so I like to be creative. Really liked my breakfast combo of berries (dinner dessert) and noddle soup (snack menu). I was really unfussed about the food, though, as the food at the new Qantas lounge was really good. I had my main dinner there.

The flight got better as it went on, as I did get caviar which I received before my drink or bread or blinis. They were in such a hurry for some weird reason that there was no drinks/nuts to start. Maybe it's LA since I've taken he similarly timed SF flight and there wasn't that weird sense of urgency.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 1:43 am
Original Poster

HKG-ORD was the 4th week of January and JFK-YVR-HKG was a few days ago.

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
How recently? I flew HKG-ORD on Jan. 3. Got the note, saw the flowers, didn't notice the amenity kit since I always turn them down.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:32 am

recent with them was two weeks ago.
with card when they served meal.
flowers on the wall
agree that the new amenity kit is a bit plain.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
1. No more note cards at meal service. I always thought this was a nice, thoughtful small gesture. But perhaps most pax just don't see the need for it?
the note card should still be there.

it's USA quarantine requirement to dispose of the flowers prior to arrival; therefore the vases were empty on the return sector.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:29 pm

I had flowers on both legs from YVR to JFK, and JFK to YVR...

I noticed they were empty when boarding at JFK, but they filled them up as passengers were coming on board.

I also noticed the cards only from JFK to YVR.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Had all the normal stuff (card, flowers, etc) on my January flights. Agree the new kits (discussed in another thread) are a bit underwhelming but I don't think that they are worse than before. One thing that surprises me is that I did not get the Mandarin Oriental special menu despite flying routes for which it is supposed to have been introduced in January.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Perhaps I can clarify a few of these things:

Notecards are still passed out...admittedly, they sometimes miss distributing them to non-Diamond passengers. It is not common but I've noticed it occasionally. I cannot recall in recent memory not getting a notecard. My guess is it was just a slipup.

This would only be abnormal if you were
a.) Seated in 1D or 2D on 77H, or
b.) Flying on the 74K, currently only flying regional routes, which doesn't seem to be the case.

For whatever reason, CX has not placed flowers on 1A, 2A, 1K, and 2K for the overwhelming majority of the flights I've flown on 77H (and 77D, and 77A, two older variants with the current F product) since I can remember. It is possible sometimes the windows get them, but in heaps of flights I cannot recall it. So presumably you flew in a window seat? In this case, it is actually standard practice.

(side note: does anyone know why CX does not place flowers in the window seats on the 777? Is there some regulation? Because they do place them in the D seats)

3. Amenity kit case is now a very plain looking Aesop one. I love Aesop products, but the case is not good looking. I even prefer the Agnes B ones they distribute in J. Too bad they stopped distributing the Tumi or Zegna kits.
Agree completely...at least I used to swap and get the female one and give to female family members, but even that appears to have gone downhill. They had this colorful ladies one my mother and sister loved to death a few years back but that's gone now.

I love CX F seat, but meals are still the least impressive part of the flights (huge chunk of steak doesn't always mean it's a good slab of meat).
Yea, maybe go for the Chinese food. I think it's the best food they have on the plane hands down.

On my HKG-ORD flight, I was seated in 2A and during taxiing prior to take off, all I could hear was the purser discussing her work details with another attendant - she was very loud.
Huge bummer. On rare occasions, they'll do this during the flight. Door L1 (A side) is the ISM's seat and on certain flights younger FAs will come up the aisle like chickens with their heads cut off and have furious discussions with the ISM. Or, once or twice the cockpit crew flirts loudly with the FAs...the door to the cockpit crew rest is also facing 1L. It's not a super common occurence but can occasionally happen. That's the 'downside' to the A side, the downside to the K side is the galley is over there. Either way both of the sides of F are great IMO...

The very comfy seat and the cabana at HKG's lounge are 2 most favorite things about CX F.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
Recently flew F from JFK-HKG and no note and no flowers. They also only stocked the largest PJS and the FA said she was going to write a report.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
A couple months ago we flew HKG-SFO and returned from LAX. The SFO flight was the midnight one ex HKG. No note cards with either meal on that flight, but they were there on the return.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:52 pm

Interesting...I've flown the JFK-YVR leg in F (both ways) several times in the past few years and only once have I ever gotten a notecard. To be fair, on some of those I turned down the meal in favor of immediate making up of the bed for sleep. Hard to blame the FAs for not tucking a note in the duvet!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288

(side note: does anyone know why CX does not place flowers in the window seats on the 777? Is there some regulation? Because they do place them in the D seats)
Did get flower on 2K last month.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by brunos
Did get flower on 2K last month.
Ha! Then I am truly baffled. Perhaps it is route specific? What route were you on? Fwiw, in the last few years I have only flown F sectors to/from SFO, LAX, JFK and HND. Zero European routes. Maybe it's different by destination?

Or maybe they are just completely random??

I could swear they regularly put them in the D seats in F (as well as J sometimes too, in that case D+G), but I haven't seen them in the windows on 77H in recent memory. Conversely, I remember always getting them on 74A/74K.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Ha! Then I am truly baffled. Perhaps it is route specific? What route were you on? Fwiw, in the last few years I have only flown F sectors to/from SFO, LAX, JFK and HND. Zero European routes. Maybe it's different by destination?

Or maybe they are just completely random??

I could swear they regularly put them in the D seats in F (as well as J sometimes too, in that case D+G), but I haven't seen them in the windows on 77H in recent memory. Conversely, I remember always getting them on 74A/74K.
Ir was CDG-HKG in January, orchids at 2D & K.

It could be that they were loaded at CDG. It could be that they came from the HKG-incoming ac. My wide asked if she could take them when disembarking at HKG and FA said yes. If they are only loaded at HKG, it might explain why some are missing on the return flight.

I agree with you that they were regularly there on the 747 and infrequent on 777.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.