Wiki Posts
Search

Recent F experience

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:05 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nsolitude
Flew LAX to HKG on August 10th. Declined caviar and no Krug was offered. Had Cathay Delight and Chinese tea all the way. Service was pretty good for F.
being a DM everything should be good whether u get caviar or not, no? and their tea is good too!
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by Shareholder
What's so funny. Caviar is highly over-rated but seems to be "the" thing for award flying FFers along with their Krug or Dom. Like children in a candy store! Guess FAs know who's who by who does and who doesn't want the caviar!
Some people would say FCL is overrated

Anyways I like my fish eggs.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:43 am

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
Originally Posted by kaka
being a DM everything should be good whether u get caviar or not, no? and their tea is good too!
Their tea is indeed really good!!! Didn't feel any special treatment as DM... Seat beat sign was on for at least 7 hours of the flight, so I was hungry and thirsty for hot drinks through.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by Shareholder
What's so funny. Caviar is highly over-rated but seems to be "the" thing for award flying FFers along with their Krug or Dom. Like children in a candy store! Guess FAs know who's who by who does and who doesn't want the caviar!
I like the caviar because it's predictable... and not particularly easy for them to screw up.

The Krug... well, I like champagne. And their wine list is often not so good, so the Krug is at least a great way to start.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
I like the caviar because it's predictable... and not particularly easy for them to screw up.
Exactly this. Cold dishes (or ones from a tin/glass/can) have less room for error than a dish cooked, chilled, waiting for 24 hours, then transported and re-heated.

Salads, desserts, cheeses... all usually ok. But your steak could vary from 'great' to 'almost inedible' (as was my experience on CX F last year on a flight to SFO).

Caviar (or other cold hors d'oeuvres) add another 'good' course.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:15 pm

Speaking of F, I asked about the flowers and I'm told they collect them and put them into a sealed plastic bag for US arrivals. And then before the next flight, they're taken out. They're not loaded on the US side.

And occasionally cleaning crews toss the bag of flowers, so hence you end up with no flowers on the return trip.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:41 am
tsz

Flew JFK-HKG in F early August and champagne wasn't poured at the seat. Tasted different and I asked the FA if it was Krug...she looked at me funny and went, "you wanted Krug? You should have mentioned!" Service was otherwise pretty good though.

I always thought Krug was the "default" champagne served in F...not on a only-if-you-ask basis, but I guess they used Deutz (the J class champagne?) as the default on this flight.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:46 am

Actually they usually ask me what I want. But usually Krug is suggested.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by nsolitude
Their tea is indeed really good!!! Didn't feel any special treatment as DM... Seat beat sign was on for at least 7 hours of the flight, so I was hungry and thirsty for hot drinks through.
Curious, which tea did you try?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by alphaod
Speaking of F, I asked about the flowers and I'm told they collect them and put them into a sealed plastic bag for US arrivals. And then before the next flight, they're taken out. They're not loaded on the US side.

And occasionally cleaning crews toss the bag of flowers, so hence you end up with no flowers on the return trip.
The equipment is usually scheduled to return in a few hours (as short as 2-3 hours). Why do they even bother to seal them and take them out in another two hours?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod
Actually they usually ask me what I want. But usually Krug is suggested.
They usually suggest the best champagne on board, and that is usually Krug. If you want the champagne from J, they will get for you too. (Just don't order food from J, they may run out of stock )
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:47 pm

Is F on HKG-TPE and an extra 2 hours in the Pier F lounge worth sacrificing 2 hours in Taipei? I'm flying BKK - HKG - TPE - SFO. TPE-SFO will be the next day (deliberate 23 or 21 hour layover).

I can choose HKG-TPE in CX J, or F. The F flight is 2 hours later than my shortest connection in HKG from BKK. The J flight arrives in Taipei at 3.50pm. And the F flight at 5.40pm. I figure with the earlier flight I can get downtown, check in, and perhaps see the CKS memorial before dinner. With the F flight, it's to the hotel then onto dinner. I'm flying LAX-HKG in F on the outbound.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by tsz
Flew JFK-HKG in F early August and champagne wasn't poured at the seat. Tasted different and I asked the FA if it was Krug...she looked at me funny and went, "you wanted Krug? You should have mentioned!" Service was otherwise pretty good though.

I always thought Krug was the "default" champagne served in F...not on a only-if-you-ask basis, but I guess they used Deutz (the J class champagne?) as the default on this flight.
Interesting. I guess we have to pay attention. I thought they only offer you the best champagne available on board...
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by bmchris
Is F on HKG-TPE and an extra 2 hours in the Pier F lounge worth sacrificing 2 hours in Taipei? I'm flying BKK - HKG - TPE - SFO. TPE-SFO will be the next day (deliberate 23 or 21 hour layover).

I can choose HKG-TPE in CX J, or F. The F flight is 2 hours later than my shortest connection in HKG from BKK. The J flight arrives in Taipei at 3.50pm. And the F flight at 5.40pm. I figure with the earlier flight I can get downtown, check in, and perhaps see the CKS memorial before dinner. With the F flight, it's to the hotel then onto dinner. I'm flying LAX-HKG in F on the outbound.

Thoughts?
bmchris,

You may be hard-pressed to see the CKS memorial before dinner even with the earlier flight. I'm usually one of the first off the plane, have e-gate entry, little luggage and a car service waiting, and I figure 1 hour and 20 minutes from touching down to getting home in downtown TPE. Given that many flights these days are delayed into TPE due to only one runway in operation, potential lines at immigration, and rush hour during the time of your arrival, it'd probably be safer to scale back your timeframe a bit.

I like F as much as the next guy and I love the Pier, but if your aim is to try to squeeze in as much as you can in TPE, then I'd go for the earlier flight. OTOH, if you have time to catch a few sites the following morning, then I'd probably pick the F flight and enjoy the Pier, not so much for the F flight, but to enjoy the food and ambiance (plus perhaps a massage) of the Pier.

Admittedly I'm a bit of a lounge junkie, so others may disagree.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by bmchris

Thoughts?
It is too tight visiting the CKS Memorial with flight arriving at 3:50pm. I also feel that it is too much carrying luggage while sightseeing. Regardless of the flight taken, I would drop luggage off (possibly at the hotel) before heading somewhere else. If there is no additional cost, I would go for F and relax for two more hours in HK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.