Wiki Posts
Search

Recent F experience

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alphaod
Just did F RT between HKGSFO last week; got flowers, DM notecard, lots of champagne. Evian on the outbound, Crystal Geyser on the return (prefer the latter).
Doing this next week (the SFOHKG portion on 879). Will be curious how it compares to the HKGORD that I did in March. Hopefully the food will be better (I won't be ordering the steak this time) but most importantly hopefully lots of champagne is loaded.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
CX873 SFO-HKG

Load: 5/6
Flower: yes
Notecard: yes
Champagne: yes
Water: Crystal Geyser

Delayed departure due to refuelling, SFO Based crew, ISM and FP were Filipino, SP was HK based Japanese...slept most of the flight so didn't really matter much. Meals were okay, nothing spectacular. Crew was a little busy when I woke up so I fixed my own seat (which I don't mind...they were really embarrassed about it)
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry, Hertz 5*
Going JFK-YVR on CX889 next week in F, first time, looking forward to it... will report back

-AD
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
CX883 LAX-HKG

Load: 6/6
Flower: no
Notecard: no
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:36 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by Duke787
Doing this next week (the SFOHKG portion on 879). Will be curious how it compares to the HKGORD that I did in March. Hopefully the food will be better (I won't be ordering the steak this time) but most importantly hopefully lots of champagne is loaded.
Never flown HKGORD, but I got the same ISM both ways on HKGSFO and service was excellent. I did the steak both ways and it turned out fine. They asked me how I wanted it cooked and I asked for medium rare; turned out closer to medium. I didn't expect much at cruising altitude, but it was good.

From a champagne standpoint, don't think the other people on my flights were heavy drinkers...
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
CX807 ORD-HKG, April 12.

I do remember there was no flower, because I never really paid much attention until I saw this thread!

I don't remember the load. Yes, received a notecard, and yes, Champagne was poured at the seat.

CX806 HKG-ORD, April 23.

Yes, flower. Load was 5/6. Champagne poured at seat. (I'll confess that I'm not sure why this is on anyone's radar. I would actually prefer if they poured it in the galley. When they pour it at the seat, it seems like a big production. Presenting the bottle, slowly pouring so it doesn't bubble over, the nerves of steel as they pour during turbulence: both theirs and mine... both worried about it ending up on my lap or seat! It takes a lot more time, and I'd prefer if they just delivered it.)

It's worth noting that the service was mediocre both ways... more so on CX806. It wasn't awful, but I feel compelled to offer some balance here because I think so many seem to rave about CX F service, and I really don't think it's all that.

Main Course Menu was entirely unappealing. I ended up just having several snacks instead of the meal. Actually, the shrimp quesadilla was really very good; I had two over the course of the flight! Some of the noodle soups were good too. And I liked the Dim Sum.

They never offered dessert or coffee after the meal(s). On both flights they seemed somewhat annoyed that I didn't want to eat right away after takeoff.

Interestingly, on CX806 there was a FA in business class that started stopping in periodically to see if there was anything I needed. I was very impressed with that!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Never flown HKGORD, but I got the same ISM both ways on HKGSFO and service was excellent. I did the steak both ways and it turned out fine. They asked me how I wanted it cooked and I asked for medium rare; turned out closer to medium. I didn't expect much at cruising altitude, but it was good.

From a champagne standpoint, don't think the other people on my flights were heavy drinkers...
Glad to hear the service was excellent - hopefully the same ISM is on SFOHKG later this week.

Your picture of the steak over on the F menu thread does look appealing compared to mine on HKGORD so perhaps I'll give it another try and if it's no good just have a couple of the quesadilla mentioned by Gongzuokuang
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
CX 872 - HKG-SFO, April 18
Water: Evian

What ever happened to the claypot rice they serve in F, is that long gone? The food was ok, I flew in on SQ F and thought SQ beat CX by a mile on service and food. But the seat on CX was much better.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: CX DM
Flew 846 / 845 this month and while seat / service / drinks were great, the food really leaves a lot to be desired - decent quality but pretty uninspired.

Having said that, I did have the Mandarin Oriental menu ex-HKG which was quite good apart from the fact that the steak was well-done (They did ask me how I would like it...I requested medium rare) but no big deal as my expectations werent that high
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by clazza
Having said that, I did have the Mandarin Oriental menu ex-HKG which was quite good apart from the fact that the steak was well-done (They did ask me how I would like it...I requested medium rare) but no big deal as my expectations werent that high
I guess I got lucky then. I also asked for medium rare and it came about medium which wasn't so bad!
Old May 2, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
CX 880- HKG-LAX, May 1
Water: Evian

2:45 Hour delay - Exhausted (but excellent) Crew
Old May 3, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
out of curiosity, what does "champagne: yes" mean? Does that mean champagne was offered in F? May I say....... duh! Am I missing something here? The only debate about champagne I recall was years back when CX briefly substituted a Deutz blanc de blanc for long-haul F instead of Krug, which they still have in F on the Japan flights. We had a little debate about that on here. But I have never, ever been on a CX F flight out of too many sectors to count when champagne wasn't served!
Old May 3, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by QRC3288
out of curiosity, what does "champagne: yes" mean?
Early in the thread there was angst that the champagne was not poured at the seat, but was instead poured in the galley (gasp!).

So the YES confirms that the champagne was poured at the seat.
Old May 3, 2015, 9:02 pm

Oh... LOL

My champagne was poured from both the seat and in the galley.

The former during normal service, the latter during times of turbulence.

Just did F RT between HKGSFO last week; got flowers, DM notecard, lots of champagne. Evian on the outbound, Crystal Geyser on the return (prefer the latter).
Old May 4, 2015, 8:11 am

MXP-HKG no note, metal spoon with caviar
HKG-LHR note + correct spoon

twice caviar on both flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.