Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent F experience

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Capricorn70
This is worrying ... seeing that I'm on a BA redemption, and right now the seat-selection page is showing 6/9, I wonder what my chances are w/o any status with CX? *fingers 'n toes*
i wouldn't lose sleep over it.

again, in-line with what I said above, the fact you're on a BA redemption ticket isn't an issue. The lack of elite status will undoubtedly mean you're not offered first, but it's not the end of the world. IME the preponderance of DMs or OWEs tend to be in J class, not F. On almost all CX F flights I'm on there is at least 1 - sometimes numerous - pax in F without status.

Meanwhile, all revenue (cash / award / partner award) pax are offered their choice of meal before op-ups.

Kaiseki is indeed the most popular CX menu item ex-Japan in F, but put it this way. First is sometimes people don't like Japanese food or have allergies. Second, folks who have flown before don't necessarily do it again. At least on my most recent flight ex-Japan I declined it and had a regular seafood starter and western meal instead. CX's Kaiseki is an incredible "wow" factor meal, and real kudos to them for offering it. It's probably the most elaborate multi-course menu in the sky (it's certainly CX's most elaborate meal by a long-shot). BUT........it's not exactly exquisite Japanese food. It's Japanese food at 30k feet in an aluminum tube, prepared in a commercial kitchen hours earlier.

That said, it's still very cool to get that at 30k feet. Hope you snag it.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:59 am

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
Originally Posted by QRC3288
i wouldn't lose sleep over it.

CX's Kaiseki is an incredible "wow" factor meal, and real kudos to them for offering it. It's probably the most elaborate multi-course menu in the sky (it's certainly CX's most elaborate meal by a long-shot). BUT........it's not exactly exquisite Japanese food. It's Japanese food at 30k feet in an aluminum tube, prepared in a commercial kitchen hours earlier.

That said, it's still very cool to get that at 30k feet. Hope you snag it.
^ Thanks for the reassurance! This will not be my first time in F by any means, but will be my first on a CX 747, and the kaiseki is the highlight, esp. after having read reports from TRers like Jermyn and Carfeld. I know to temper my expectations, but it will be special - precisely because it is elaborate, in a metal tube hurtling at mach 0.9 (ish) at 30k feet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.