Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent F experience

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by clazza
Having said that, I did have the Mandarin Oriental menu ex-HKG which was quite good apart from the fact that the steak was well-done (They did ask me how I would like it...I requested medium rare) but no big deal as my expectations werent that high
Interesting....they must have a few slight variations on the menu. On CX830 in F (ex HKG) I also had the Mandarin meal, the main course on that was a pork cutlet not beef steak. Pork is a little more forgiving....the portion was huge, and it was cooked quite nicely.

I give some props to CX for mixing it up and rolling out this promotion. Nice to see some variety in F.
Old May 4, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: AS gold
I have been on quite a few Cathay F flights between LAX/SFO and HKG.
The flight attendants tell me that less than half of the F passengers like Caviar and the flight attendants are tired of it. So, every time I have asked to have it served twice, they have been able to do so, and in one case, the FA came back to my seat and offered me thirds!
Old May 4, 2015, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by macfadsj
I have been on quite a few Cathay F flights between LAX/SFO and HKG.
The flight attendants tell me that less than half of the F passengers like Caviar and the flight attendants are tired of it.
Bwwaahha. That's actually kind of funny.
Old May 5, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry, Hertz 5*
CX889 JFK-YVR
April 30-May 1

Load: 4/6
Flower: No
Notecard: No
Champagne: Yes
Water: Crystal Geyser

Late out the gate due to "delayed arrival" of jet from previous destination. Boarding at JFK was a zoo, with dozens of people trying to board before even the pilots/FAs... Was first person aboard, was guided left after the purser saw my F ticket, and immediately asked what I wanted to drink. I ordered the Krug, of course.

As the flight got underway, I was happy to see the Bose headphones, which I used to watch two films. Even after the mostly tasty meal, I was full and forgot to order the Milk Tea (grr...) and then tried to sleep but the bed was made funny and there was a lump right in the middle of my back. Either way I enjoyed the flight (my *first* international F, not the last, I hope) and was proactively offered the right window seat (2K) instead of the middle on I had originally booked.

Service was phenomenal compared to anything I've ever flown, but based on trip reports, I know there were some hospitality gaps (i.e. no refills of drinks after first pour, no offer of coffee after dinner, confusion about what starter/entree/dessert I was ordering, etc.). Bathroom was clean, and temperature was perfect(ly normal). The pajamas (comfy!) were surprisingly nice, as was the Aesop amenity kit, even though I knew they came with the seat.

Overall, I can't wait to fly CX in F again.

-AD
Old May 5, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by airbornedaddy
and then tried to sleep but the bed was made funny and there was a lump right in the middle of my back.
That's something that often gets overlooked. The seats offers a "massage" function is which basically an air sack that get inflated and deflated continuously and moved about.

You can also inflate it for lower back support, but anyways it depends on people if they like it or not. You need to manually deflate it when in bed mode.
Old May 6, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Flew HKG-LHR-HKG 2 weeks ago and then HKG-LHR-HKG again last week... so 4 flights within 12 days.

3/4 flights had a notecard
didn't notice if they had flowers or not
4/4 had champagne
4/4 Load was 6/6 (but some I guess could have been upgraded since I checked day of flight they still had 1 or 2 seats left for selling)

Overall had 1 bad flight. Correlates to having a poor ISM onboard... I typically find when the ISM is poor the service from the rest are poor too. I guess the ISM sets the tone and mood like leaders in organizations do.
Old May 6, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by bagold
I typically find when the ISM is poor the service from the rest are poor too. I guess the ISM sets the tone and mood like leaders in organizations do.
^^^
Old May 7, 2015, 3:05 pm

ORD-HKG 14 April

Flower: Yes (but brought by after take-off)
Notecard: I didn't see one
Caviar: Offered, I declined
Load: 5/6

Great flight!
Old May 19, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, JAL JGC Sapphire
Just got off my flight yesterday:

CX898 HKG-LAX 18 May

Flower: Yes
Notecard: Yes
Champagne: Yes - poured at seat (Krug)
Water: Evian

Jessica on the flight who was serving us was definitely the star of the team! Extremely professional and yet also friendly and made us feel special!
Old May 19, 2015, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alphaod
Never flown HKGORD, but I got the same ISM both ways on HKGSFO and service was excellent. I did the steak both ways and it turned out fine. They asked me how I wanted it cooked and I asked for medium rare; turned out closer to medium. I didn't expect much at cruising altitude, but it was good.

From a champagne standpoint, don't think the other people on my flights were heavy drinkers...
Originally Posted by Duke787
Glad to hear the service was excellent - hopefully the same ISM is on SFOHKG later this week.

Your picture of the steak over on the F menu thread does look appealing compared to mine on HKGORD so perhaps I'll give it another try and if it's no good just have a couple of the quesadilla mentioned by Gongzuokuang
Second CX F experience was infinitely better than my first (HKGORD earlier this year). Wasn't quite as good as my NH F experience but it was pretty close

CX 879

Flower: Yes
Notecard: Yes
Champagne: Yes
Water: Crystal Geyser

Gave the steak a second chance after seeing alphapod's recommendation in this thread and it didn't disappoint. For the SFOHKG flight, the steakd had a "coco spice rub" and was delicious and was cooked medium rare. Also had the quesadillas which were pretty good too.

Awesome cabin crew who, upon request at the end of the flight, gave my gf and I each an extra pair of PJs.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: AA, BA
CX253 HKG-LHR 18th May

Load: 6/6
Flower: No
Notecard: No
Champagne: Poured at seat

The special Mandarin Oriental menu was available, also a Rhone Valley wine promotion.

I chose from the standard F menu for the first meal service, and the crew kept back a main course from the Mandarin Oriental menu for the second meal service. I can also vouch for the pork cutlet offering from the MO menu.

Cabin service was excellent, despite absence of the 'details' we are logging in this thread (note/flower).

Last edited by RupertC; May 20, 2015 at 12:00 pm Reason: Corrected promo wine details
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:05 pm

CX 846 HKG-JFK August 11

Load: 4/6
Flower: yes
Notecard: yes
Champagne: Krug poured at seat

They had the new rose colored Aesop kits, and my daughter and I were offered matching ones. (That is, hers and mine snapped together, instead of being exactly alike.)

The ISM was very personable and chatted quite a bit. There was no noise from the galley. The flight attendants were superb. One from HK and the other from Malaysia. I confess I didn't understand the big deal about the notecards, and now after flying, I suddenly get it.

The food was just ok. Dimsum was inedible. I did enjoy the caviar and the Krug pour was constant. I also enjoyed the milk tea.

Cabin was nice and cold.

Boarding: I was 2nd in line after a family with OW Emeralds.

Exiting: They used the door behind the mini Business cabin to exit, and First exited with Business Class.

Also, whether I was lucky or it's always like that arriving late at night I don't know, but there was no line at all at immigration.

Last edited by ENFO; Aug 20, 2015 at 7:11 pm
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Bwwaahha. That's actually kind of funny.
What's so funny. Caviar is highly over-rated but seems to be "the" thing for award flying FFers along with their Krug or Dom. Like children in a candy store! Guess FAs know who's who by who does and who doesn't want the caviar!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by ENFO
Also, whether I was lucky or it's always like that arriving late at night I don't know, but there was no line at all at immigration.
Very few flights from overseas arrive at JFK after 6p so that's not unusual.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
Flew LAX to HKG on August 10th. Declined caviar and no Krug was offered. Had Cathay Delight and Chinese tea all the way. Service was pretty good for F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.