Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: qsh
77H (777-300ER, F cabin)
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/travel-information/flight/aircraft-fleet/777-300/777-300er-77h.html

F seats:
1A - very private. Protected by the divider between it and the D seats.

J seats:
Row 11, 12 mini-cabin - very quiet and private
15A has no windows
21 only 1 window.

Y+ seats:
32H/K have lots of legroom.
30D/E/F/G have huge legroom, but passengers walk in front of you to access bathroom. Light spills from bathroom particularly onto 30G.
31A has no window.
34H gets disturbed by the Y section curtain.

Y seats:

77G (777-300ER, no F cabin)
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/travel-information/flight/aircraft-fleet/777-300/777-300er-77g.html

J seats:
Row 19 has no windows

Y+ seats:
Row 30 has good legroom

Y seats:
39A/C/H/K - lots of legroom

773 (777-300)
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/travel-information/flight/aircraft-fleet/777-300/777-300-73z.html

J seats:

Y seats:
Row 39 and 67 are bulkheads with better than average legroom and fold out IFE screens
Row 46 missing the window
Row 53 ABC, HJK has very generous legroom but are missing window due to EMEX position. A and K have emergency slide constraining leg room. All seats are near lavs, so some congregation of people. 53DEF has good legroom at bulkhead.

772 (777-200)
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/travel-information/flight/aircraft-fleet/777-200/777-200-B772Z.html

J seats:

Y seats:
Print Wikipost

777-300ER Best seat?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Originally Posted by jdsworld
I'm booked on a CX 77A for a flight in a few months time. I'm currently in seat 20A, which I worry on a night flight that the engines will keep me awake, plus I wonder if meal service will take forever to reach me.

've noticed a lot of people on various blogs rave about row 11, and row 11 is currently open on my flight. But, I've also found a lot of very negative reviews of row 11 - apparently, there is a lot of crew traffic in and out of first class (and having flown in SQ's business mini-cabin on a 777 this was the case, crew were in and out all flight (but not a concern as it was a day flight)), and accessing of cabinets. I've also heard stories of soiled linen being stored near row 11. Plus on the CX website they warn you you could be moved out of row 11 if someone with special needs requires it.

So, is it really worth trying to grab a seat in row 11?
I have never been on 11 A or K with first class seating. I have been on 11 A and K for three class 777-300ER (Business, Prem-eco and Eco)

Note: I don't sleep much on any flights. I like to stay up, watch movies and eat!

Pros:
Bigger footwell
Feels private
Less engine noise
Get served food first
Close to washroom/toilet

Cons:
Can be noisy/annoying from crew getting access to cupboards and linen bin (clicking noise and door closing)
Noisy from people going to the washroom
Front galley light can be bothersome if curtain is not closed properly
Cockpit crew rest area door is close, hear them closing the door.

I would say if you are a light sleeper or value quietness then this is not a seat for you.

I myself like this seat.

Seats I would recommend if you want sleep/less noise are rows 12 to 17 and 21. When I sat in seat 21 the engine noise did not bother me. (3 class 777)
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by cyster2007

if it is 77G(without first class), stay away from row 11. If it is 77H(with first class), row 11 is the best, specially 11A/K
It's a 77A or a 77H, the one with a first class cabin. Not sure what the difference is between a 77A and a 77H.

Originally Posted by kentauta
I recently flew 77A on a LAX-HKG round trip. I was on 12A for the way out, Though this is not row 11 you are talking about, I found this mini cabin is not for me. The intimate atmosphere was nice, but noticed to FAs using the soiled linen bin many tines, and kept hearing tableware noise from the galley (which is probably better in row 11), and the vibration of the toilet flush was bothersome (again, probably better in row 11). Having experienced these, for the return flight, I surrendered row 11 (which would have been better than 12, but didn't want to risk) and moved to 20A. Maybe I was lucky to have quiet neighbors, but I found it very quiet (engine noise didn't bother me compared with 12A) and had much better sleep than I did in 12A for the way out. My conclusion from this experience is 20A has good a balance of low passenger traffic, meal choice, attention from FAs, and isolation from noise sources like galley/lavs. These things are all subjective, and luck plays role a role, too. Maybe it's good to try both mini and non-mini cabin and find which one is your thing.

One thing you might want to consider is getting a nice noise-cancelling headphone. The Cathay one on board doesn't do much of cancellation. I recently got a decent one and will try it out on my upcoming flight on 77W (not Cathay).
Very useful comment, thanks. I think I might stick with 20A for my flight to HKG and see if my return flight to LHR has row 11 free. That way I can try both.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by eagle215
I have never been on 11 A or K with first class seating. I have been on 11 A and K for three class 777-300ER (Business, Prem-eco and Eco)

Note: I don't sleep much on any flights. I like to stay up, watch movies and eat!

Pros:
Bigger footwell
Feels private
Less engine noise
Get served food first
Close to washroom/toilet

Cons:
Can be noisy/annoying from crew getting access to cupboards and linen bin (clicking noise and door closing)
Noisy from people going to the washroom
Front galley light can be bothersome if curtain is not closed properly
Cockpit crew rest area door is close, hear them closing the door.

I would say if you are a light sleeper or value quietness then this is not a seat for you.

I myself like this seat.

Seats I would recommend if you want sleep/less noise are rows 12 to 17 and 21. When I sat in seat 21 the engine noise did not bother me. (3 class 777)
Originally Posted by kentauta
Have you found the tableware noise from the galley much lower in row 11? How about lavatory noise/vibration? (just curious for the next chance to fly Cathay)
I have sat in row 11 a few times on 77G/77K (i.e. no mini-cabin) and the tableware and galley noise is definitely an issue. Somehow the crew always manage to keep the noise constant on a 16-hour overnight flight with non-stop opening/closing of cabinet doors, tableware clings, etc. As a result I started picking row 15 and have much better sleep.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jdsworld
It's a 77A or a 77H, the one with a first class cabin. Not sure what the difference is between a 77A and a 77H.
Both 77A and 77H have F; the only difference between the two is in Y. 77A is 10-abreast Y and 77H is 9-abreast Y, and the latter are slowly being converted to the former.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: QF
For 77W 4 class, any preference between 19k and 21k.
Currently in 21 but can move to 19.
Could it be likely that a smaller aircraft may be substituted if loads are down (>LHR Nov). Back third of economy is blocked out (maybe to keep loading forward?).
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by blutek
For 77W 4 class, any preference between 19k and 21k.
Currently in 21 but can move to 19.
Could it be likely that a smaller aircraft may be substituted if loads are down (>LHR Nov). Back third of economy is blocked out (maybe to keep loading forward?).
Back third of economy is always blocked off until OLCI.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by etkuo
Back third of economy is always blocked off until OLCI.
I saw the same on my flight 12/26 from ORD - got nervous about cancellation/change. Why do they block it off until OLCI?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ryan Harder
I saw the same on my flight 12/26 from ORD - got nervous about cancellation/change. Why do they block it off until OLCI?
I think they just block those seats off until OLCI for people without pre-selected seating.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Hi all, I've got a HKG-JFK and vice versa flight in April/May 2020 on a 777. I'm in Premium Economy and I was reading about how CX planned to refurbish the cabin so that all seats would have leg rests like the A350, rather than just the bulkhead seats. I'm not a CX flyer in the least so I was wondering if anyone knows if the refurb is complete? Also, how do I find out which 777 config I'm on?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:35 am

For the 4 Class 77W seats on a regional route, the first 2 rows F seats are blocked even though they are sold as business class tickets. Is it strictly only for DM? Can any J class or other OWE J passengers request for the seats via the hotline or airport check in or OLCI assuming there is no last min swaps?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by CXCPA
For the 4 Class 77W seats on a regional route, the first 2 rows F seats are blocked even though they are sold as business class tickets. Is it strictly only for DM? Can any J class or other OWE J passengers request for the seats via the hotline or airport check in or OLCI assuming there is no last min swaps?
No luck on the hotline. I have been told it is under airport control.

This is what I see for my flight next week.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:37 pm

LOL I think we are on the same flight.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:31 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by ms101
Hi all, I've got a HKG-JFK and vice versa flight in April/May 2020 on a 777. I'm in Premium Economy and I was reading about how CX planned to refurbish the cabin so that all seats would have leg rests like the A350, rather than just the bulkhead seats. I'm not a CX flyer in the least so I was wondering if anyone knows if the refurb is complete? Also, how do I find out which 777 config I'm on?
I could be mistaken, but I think all the 773 have been retrofitted for leg rests in PEY. I haven't sat in PEY for a while, but a few times I've popped back into PEY and did notice the leg rests across the entire PEY cabin departing from JFK. It's possible that I'm mistaken and leg rest refurbishment is part of the 10 across E refurbishment that is still underway. In that case it's difficult to predict if you will get footrests or not.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:24 am

I was going to ask the same, have a LHR-HKG-LHR coming up in PEY.

Id rather not sit at the bulkhead, but would prefer a footrest to no footrest - I last flew the route on CX PEY about a year back and the whole cabin had footrests, but there’s little information I can see about whether the retrofit is complete or not?
Old Oct 25, 2019, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Mattt1
I was going to ask the same, have a LHR-HKG-LHR coming up in PEY.

Id rather not sit at the bulkhead, but would prefer a footrest to no footrest - I last flew the route on CX PEY about a year back and the whole cabin had footrests, but there’s little information I can see about whether the retrofit is complete or not?
There are two major advantages to the bulkhead, if there is one still available for your flight - (a) no one to recline into you, which can be a significant problem given how far te seats recline, and (b) at the bulkhead there's room to place a full-sized cabin bag on the floor after take-off to create a fully horizontal leg-rest. With your legs horizontal and supported, sleeping is much more comfortable/easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.