FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Print Wikipost

Canada bans entry from foreigners; restricting entry to non-essential travel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Non-essential travel ban between Canada and the U.S. extended into September by the Americans
https://twitter.com/globeandmail/sta...82391737888769
Inevitable given the much higher prevalence of COVID in the USA right now. There is no politician who would be willing to reopen the border under these circumstances (not because of science, but because of constituent fear).

I suspect the border will stay closed this fall due to inertia. USA COVID infections are now dropping with the end of the Sunbelt spike, but I doubt this will "matter" much to Canadians in the near term.
JNelson113 likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 16, 2020 at 8:43 pm Reason: off topic
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:31 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
OK, let me rephrase ....

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Canada doesn't "dictate" the border closure it decides. America could open its borders to non-essential Canadian travelers at any time and has providing you fly. Canada can keep the border closed to non-essential travelers from America in perpetuity if it so chooses.
US makes it bilateral so that it does not look like Americans (of US variety so we don't get lost in semantics again) are excluded while Canadians are allowed to travel (if they chose to risk going to a country that clearly does not have Covid under control).

White House is clearly more concerned with perception than action, while it appears that Canada is more concerned about protecting its citizens (IMHO). As the saying goes, when America catches a cold, Canada get the fever, so folks in Ottawa need to be diplomatic.
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Let's not forget this is a US election year which has a major impact on many governmental decisions.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 12:26 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by abc5
curiously, im not familar with if a mere state can decide to ban visitors from another country.
They can't. Immigration is a federal responsibility.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 4:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Canada provinces and territories can do it. While the federal government decides who gets into the country the provinces can under emergency legislation determine who is admitted into the province. The Northwest Territories shut its borders to non-residents in the early stage of the pandemic. The provinces of Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and PEI are requiring non-residents to quarantine for two weeks.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 7:40 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by abc5
curiously, im not familar with if a mere state can decide to ban visitors from another country.
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Fun fact, Texas early on banned visitors from New York state, possibly entire tri state area (memory is a little fuzzy now).

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, tri state area is requiring a two week quarantine for citizens from the south and state troopers are encouraged to pull over cars with southern states license plates.

No one ever addressed legality of this from my knowledge.

Meanwhile I'm stuck in Dallas, and mother keeps wondering when I'm going to make my return to Vancouver Island
Old Aug 16, 2020, 10:59 am

why are you stuck in dallas if by returning you are saying you are canadian? you have the ability to return.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 16, 2020 at 8:49 pm Reason: Off topic
Old Aug 16, 2020, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
States can impose long and strict quarantine requirements on people from various other states and countries, although it might be hard to justify basing this on citizenship rather than presence in an infected area. This is one effective way to keep out most people coming from certain areas. [It might be harder to defend quarantine requirements for diplomats and military personnel; for example, Hawaii has such exceptions in their quarantine policies.]
seawolf likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Fun fact, Texas early on banned visitors from New York state, possibly entire tri state area (memory is a little fuzzy now).

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, tri state area is requiring a two week quarantine for citizens from the south and state troopers are encouraged to pull over cars with southern states license plates.

No one ever addressed legality of this from my knowledge.

Meanwhile I'm stuck in Dallas, and mother keeps wondering when I'm going to make my return to Vancouver Island
There has been some carping from the Canadian Civil Liberties Association about the interprovincial travel restrictions being unconstitutional but no concrete action.

Meanwhile, there's no reason you can't return to Vancouver Island if you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident. You will have to quarantine for two weeks.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...diens-eng.html
Old Aug 16, 2020, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

It seems that after deleting and editing several posts that a reminder is needed to stick to the thread topic and not wider COVID infection rates, testing levels, or Canadians travelling abroad as the thread topic should only be about the current restrictions on non-Canadians entering the country.

Please note that further thread topic wander may result in the thread being closed and/ or members being disciplined for off topic dommentary.

tcook052
Canada forum moderator
Old Aug 18, 2020, 2:45 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Here is my situation: I am scheduled to be in Canada in one month. I am French passport holder resident of Germany, purpose of the trip is tourism. Itinerary is FRA-LIS-YYZ return, and a few days in Toronto, trains to Quebec city, stay 5 nights in Quebec City and return back to Toronto by train to catch the plane back. Duration of trip is 10 days. All booked pre-COVID of course.
As of today I can not do this as I can not enter Canada.
It is a crystal ball question of course but what are you current resident of Canada feel for the short term ? Do you think Canada will open to European countries or not ?
I feel that this will not happen so I should just start the cancellation process with airlines, hotels and ViaRail.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 3:58 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by fransknorge
It is a crystal ball question of course but what are you current resident of Canada feel for the short term ? Do you think Canada will open to European countries or not ?
Not within one month, for non-residents, for non-essential reasons of travel, without quarantine requirement on arrival. ...says my crystal ball.
Badenoch likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 5:47 am
Suspended

Here is my situation: I am scheduled to be in Canada in one month. I am French passport holder resident of Germany, purpose of the trip is tourism. Itinerary is FRA-LIS-YYZ return, and a few days in Toronto, trains to Quebec city, stay 5 nights in Quebec City and return back to Toronto by train to catch the plane back. Duration of trip is 10 days. All booked pre-COVID of course.
I feel that this will not happen so I should just start the cancellation process with airlines, hotels and ViaRail.
The short answer to your question is no. Even if you were admitted you would have to undergo a 14 day quarantine like everyone else who comes into the country including citizens and permanent residents. Quarantine terms are strict and the government takes the quarantine seriously. No one here expects that to change in a month.

This link might be helpful

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ons.html#other
Old Aug 18, 2020, 5:59 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Yes I am aware of the quarantine. My question was do you guys feels this would be lifted soon ? Based on the two answers above I think I should start getting cancellations and refunds. Hotels will be easy (Hilton and a not payed yet B&B in Quebec), trains unknown (no clue about ViaRail policy) and flights a huge hassle (TAP airlines gives vouchers only).
Old Aug 18, 2020, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The chance that you will take this trip is extremely slim. A good friend of mine is a senior public health official and he says 'no chance'. Cancel what you can, perhaps wait with the airline until they perhaps cancel, no reason to do anything until perhaps a week or so before the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.