Last edit by: seawolf
Print Wikipost

Canada bans entry from foreigners; restricting entry to non-essential travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2020, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gonebabygone
Indeed. Apparently the new list was whittled down to only 14 countries. Canada made the cut however. Expect a formal announcement by July 1.

Now to see if Trudeau does likewise...?
Perhaps this is what you mean, but I believe that list is only as useful as the reciprocity of of those mentioned countries goes. It is worded in a sub-optimal way, but if Canada doesn't open to the EU, then the EU is closed to Canada.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 10:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by emma69
How does one allow travel from the Vatican, but not Italy. Monaco but not France. Andorra but not France or Spain, etc. It's a list put together by someone who has never traveled, clearly!
My understanding is that this list is a list of non-Schengen countries to be allowed travel into Schengen. Accordingly, Italy/France/Spain would not be on this list.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Perhaps this is what you mean, but I believe that list is only as useful as the reciprocity of of those mentioned countries goes. It is worded in a sub-optimal way, but if Canada doesn't open to the EU, then the EU is closed to Canada.
A question might be what the EU position would be if Canada accepted citizens of some individual member states and not others.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:27 am

Welp. Ban extended to at least Jul 31.

What a joke. A new infection rate of 1 per 100,000 and we’re battening down the hatches instead of pursuing a cautious, gradual reopening.

Keep the US out till Xmas for all I care, but this is ridiculous that we are refusing to gradually admit European countries that have their situations in hand as well as we do.

I certainly don’t want to endanger anyone. But it’s silly to maintain lockdown mode when a gradual reopening can be done safely. I thought we needed to learn to live with the virus?
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:35 am

My goodness, how more ridiculous can it get.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:52 am
Suspended

The present incumbent notwithstanding, the most important border Canada has is the one with the U.S.A. and to admit Europeans while not allowing Americans puts the nation in an awkward position with an overly-sensitive incumbent who is running for re-election. Extending the closure for a month is less about health care than it is about North American politics.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Badenoch
The present incumbent notwithstanding, the most important border Canada has is the one with the U.S.A. and to admit Europeans while not allowing Americans puts the nation in an awkward position with an overly-sensitive incumbent who is running for re-election. Extending the closure for a month is less about health care than it is about North American politics.
Well, Europe took that chance with its biggest trading partner.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Unfortunately, I have to concur.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Well the prospect of two weeks of self isolation has killed our plan to go to Canada. Not much point. What a shame, I’ll miss the drinks at the yacht club.
aidy and CanuckInParis like this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Folks a few posts have been deleted as this is simply not the venue to discuss wider geopolitical issues or current heads of state as OMNI P/R is the place in which to endlessly discuss both of those matters and far more.

tcook052
Canada forum moderator
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Why not just ask everyone entering to have a clean covid test in the past 48 hours and then quarantine three days and test again? I would certainly be willing to do that and I think that many would.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JNelson113
Why not just ask everyone entering to have a clean covid test in the past 48 hours and then quarantine three days and test again? I would certainly be willing to do that and I think that many would.
What does your medical travel insurance coverage have to say about that?
Old Jun 30, 2020, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Well the prospect of two weeks of self isolation has killed our plan to go to Canada. Not much point. What a shame, I’ll miss the drinks at the yacht club.
Which club? Happy to have them for you.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Which club? Happy to have them for you.
RCYC
Old Jul 1, 2020, 3:18 am

Programs: Lufthansa/Aeroplan/Air Berlin
Well, as someone with flights to Canada booked for Aug 5th, you can imagine how i feel about this. I think its ridiculous. I dont know if you all heard, but Frankfurt Airport has also set up a covid test kiosk - results available in 3 hours or so so you would have to be at the airport extra early and I believe for the moment it is only for Luftansa flyers.

So. I am shaking my head at Canada still not allowing Europeans to come in and not even considering our measures and standards over here in Germany. Or say other countries like Iceland, for instance that have 0 cases. Canada itself has such a low new case rate. I think all the Canadians are focused on, as usual, are the Americans, which has always been an annoyance of mine.

Yes, i know i am Canadian and could maybe get my husband and kids in as my direct relatives. But i still think they will be scrutinizing me extremely hard coming in for a vacation, as opposed to Canadians wanting to go home. I also don't know where the hell we would quarentine for 2 weeks. So I spent 3 years of savings on these tickets only to squeeze the four of us in a hotel room the entire time. Maybe someone would rent a cottage to us, but getting food, etc....So much to think about. To spend that money and not see anyone.....I think im better off accepting their voucher and figuring that money will be tied up in vouchers for at least a year, maybe two.

Does anyone know if theres ANY risk of losing money with the vouchers, ie. rebooking fees, etc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.