Last edit by: seawolf
Print Wikipost

Canada bans entry from foreigners; restricting entry to non-essential travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:25 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by kalderlake
CBC 24-hour news networks (French/English) are now available free online, and on their app, GEM.

https://www.cbc.ca/news
Ya, that is good news, used to be I could not watch The National online outside of Canada.

Glad I checked this thread, was going to post as a new thread, but you beat me to it (maybe it deserves its own thread anyway).
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Ya, that is good news, used to be I could not watch The National online outside of Canada.

Glad I checked this thread, was going to post as a new thread, but you beat me to it (maybe it deserves its own thread anyway).
Good idea, thanks.

I've started one.

cheers

kl
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:44 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I stand corrected. I thought I had read something about tonight in the Globe.
Looking to be Friday night

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...deal-1.5502632

Article current as of 19MAR 11AM Eastern

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he expects the new restrictive measures on non-essential travel at the border to take effect Friday night, but cautioned that both sides are still fine-tuning the agreement.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:12 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by seawolf
What is arrival times? Maybe US preclearance is closed when CX flight arrive requiring an entry into Canada instead of a transit.
Originally Posted by majik
I think last flight YVR-SEA is 2010. Pre-clearance closes at 2030.
Flight arrives at 12:35pm, so that wouldn't be an issue, but thanks for the suggestion. CX is saying that the routing is not allowed - full stop. Have tried 2 agents so far. Wait times are 1 hour+ so HUCA is challenging.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:05 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Flight arrives at 12:35pm, so that wouldn't be an issue, but thanks for the suggestion. CX is saying that the routing is not allowed - full stop. Have tried 2 agents so far. Wait times are 1 hour+ so HUCA is challenging.
TIMATIC reports no restrictions transiting Canada. Restrictions is only for entry. This is something Cathay imposing beyond Canadian requirements.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:11 am
Original Member

Canada/US border restrictions to come into effect March 12. In effect for 30 days subject to review/renewal.

https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/statements/...rs-crossing-us

“Non-essential” travel includes travel that is considered tourism or recreational in nature.

Last edited by seawolf; Mar 22, 2020 at 10:07 am Reason: Edit to remove that restriction appears to affect all modes of transportation
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:14 am

Non-Essential Travel Ban Only Applies To Land Crossings?

Do the new non-essential travel restrictions between Canada / US apply to air traffic? I read a Canadian article just now that said it only applies to land crossing and that flights would not be affected. I am an American looking to go north for a few days
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Technically, as of right now, a US citizen who has not been outside of the US for the past 14 days is allowed to board a flight to Canada if they show now symptoms of Covid-19. Upon arrival in Canada, they will be asked to self-isolate for 14 days.

This being said, all non-essential cross-border travel is discouraged.

So the question is - why would you want to go? Not to mention that you may not be able to return home...
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by airoli
Technically, as of right now, a US citizen who has not been outside of the US for the past 14 days is allowed to board a flight to Canada if they show now symptoms of Covid-19. Upon arrival in Canada, they will be asked to self-isolate for 14 days.

So the question is - why would you want to go? Not to mention that you may not be able to return home...
If by "American" OP means a US citizen (there are many nations in the Americas), he cannot be denied entry to the US. He may well be quarantined, but he can't be denied entry.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:18 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by Often1
If by "American" OP means a US citizen (there are many nations in the Americas), he cannot be denied entry to the US.
That may be so, but OP mentions wanting to fly to Canada, and it is entirely possible that at some point, there will not be any trans-border (or any!) flights offered anymore.

So unless OP then contemplates finding his way to a land border, and hoping that Canada would still let US citizens cross its side of said border...
Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If by "American" OP means a US citizen (there are many nations in the Americas), he cannot be denied entry to the US. He may well be quarantined, but he can't be denied entry.
I think the point being made is that there will likely be a severe reduction in ways to travel back to the US as flights are cancelled.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:09 am
Original Member

FYI My AA/AC transborder (NYC-YUL) flights end of March/first week April still active, AC downguage equipment from 320 to CRJ but still operating

Originally Posted by airoli

Restriction appears to apply to all modes of transportation.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bigcahonna
Do the new non-essential travel restrictions between Canada / US apply to air traffic? I read a Canadian article just now that said it only applies to land crossing and that flights would not be affected. I am an American looking to go north for a few days
I am quite certain that the restriction applies to "the border." The are exceptions for example Americans transitting through Canada to return home to the US, however someone wanting to "go north for a few days" would not be allowed to cross. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-a...vid19-eng.html
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:36 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Didn't check other airlines, but ....

AC has cancelled DFW-YVR/YYZ, for now selling UA metal flights.

UA has zeroed out Y and only sells FC on USA-CDN, but I have not checked for a few hours. As I understand it, it is their way of CXing flights during weekend update. I pretty much expect UA USA-CDN flights to be pretty much gone by Monday

But that one way DFW-YYZ (on UA metal with a stop) is crazy low at $89 US
Old Apr 10, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: Asia Miles
If by "American" OP means a US citizen (there are many nations in the Americas)
There's always that one guy who brings this up...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.