Last edit by: seawolf
Print Wikipost

Canada bans entry from foreigners; restricting entry to non-essential travel

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2020, 7:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by iahphx
Given that the current virus situation seems pretty predictable --
it's fading, and should be mostly gone in a month ...
I think that's still the case, ...
I get the sense that there could be no virus whatsoever in July ...
Wouldn't it be wonderful if all that were true? I wouldn't count on it, and no medical expert I've heard suggests this will be the case.
Old May 25, 2020, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

A gentle reminder that there are far better forums around FT in which to discuss the myriad of topics related to COVID-19 so let's please leave the Canada forum and this thread in particular for just the facts about border crossings.

tcook052
Canada forum moderator
Old May 26, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
As is my custom, I was planning a July trip to the Maritimes from the USA. Given that the current virus situation seems pretty predictable -- it's fading, and should be mostly gone in a month -- I thought the US-Canada border would likely open in late June. I think that's still the case, but I see that a lot of the provinces seem very scared by the virus and the prospect of outsiders bringing new cases. I get the sense that there could be no virus whatsoever in July, but still plenty of closed borders. Is that an accurate assessment, and that maybe I need to plan a July vacation elsewhere? I was hoping that the politics would be less polarized in Canada than in America, and that may be true, but the virus fear seems to be even stronger. I also have a suspicion that even if the borders are open, most activities would be cancelled due to the fear, which would impinge on my enjoyment of the area.
Definitely make backup plans. I think that there's less than a 10% chance that a US citizen will be able to cross the Canadian border in July, as much as I wish it were otherwise.
Old May 26, 2020, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JNelson113
Definitely make backup plans. I think that there's less than a 10% chance that a US citizen will be able to cross the Canadian border in July, as much as I wish it were otherwise.
Do you think that is all of Canada? It would seem logical that the BC border would open, and I can't understand why the Quebec border would be closed -- there's more virus in Quebec than in the US counties south of the border.

I do fear that the "Quebec situation" will make the Maritimes even more fearful of reopening, even if the risk in July approaches zero.

My current plan is to wait until at least the middle of June to see what's open and what's not. My back-up plan for Maine is also currently closed, but I don't think that lockdown is politically sustainable into July. If both the Maritmes and Maine fall through, I'm pretty sure Vermont and New Hampshire will be accepting visitors.
Old May 26, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I think that there's less than a 10% chance that a US citizen will be able to cross the Canadian border in July…
To be clear, there is a 100% chance that US citizens can cross the border right now, and will continue to be able to do so in July, for essential and/or permitted purposes

[Edit to add: It should already be understood, but just to ensure total clarity, tourism is obviously not considered an essential and/or permitted purpose. US citizens can and will continue to be able to cross the border for essential and/or permitted purposes.]

Last edited by ExpatExp; May 27, 2020 at 2:21 am
Old May 26, 2020, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Wouldn't it be wonderful if all that were true? I wouldn't count on it, and no medical expert I've heard suggests this will be the case.
I'm sure most medical experts -- but not media reporters -- would tell you that they expect there to be very few cases of coronavirus circulating in the USA and Quebec in July. That is exactly what's happening in continental Europe right now. Italy is already down to a few hundred cases a day now, and it keeps dropping. There are always infectious diseases, like flu, that circulate. We don't close borders because of them. Which doesn't mean there won't be an over-reaction here. I understand the fear. I don't think it's good public policy, but I understand it.
Old May 26, 2020, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
To be clear, there is a 100% chance that US citizens can cross the border right now, and will continue to be able to do so in July, for essential and/or permitted purposes
You are correct, of course, but tourism/travel is not considered essential by the Canadian government. There are instances of spouses being separated right now, one in the US and one in Canada, who are not allowed to reunite. So essential is fairly narrowly defined.

I am basing my speculation on the news conferences of Trudeau as well as the leaders and health ministers of the various provinces. The message is clear . . . it will be a long time before they feel comfortable opening the border to US citizens. For instance, here's the BC health minister stating that the border should be closed long past June 21: https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/05/19/bc-health-minister-border-close-to-non-essential-travel/?fbclid=IwAR2345LO0GynPqUnHSrax_LWGMfFVu8cYowunsux-ds80XEiw7Pa7X3nl6g

I would love to be wrong but am bracing myself for the worst. This would have been my 20th consecutive summer vacationing in Whistler, so again, I hope I'm wrong!
Old May 26, 2020, 8:04 pm

I'm sure most medical experts -- but not media reporters -- would tell you that they expect there to be very few cases of coronavirus circulating in the USA and Quebec in July.
We haven't yet seen the results of opening things up yet. There appears to be an uptick in case numbers. "Very few cases" in July? As I say, wouldn't that be wonderful? I wouldn't count on it until more time has passed and we have evidence.

But you did state earlier, is it worth going if the things you want to see and do are closed or operating at greatly reduced capacity? When do you have to decide?
Old May 26, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am basing my speculation on the news conferences of Trudeau as well as the leaders and health ministers of the various provinces. The message is clear . . . it will be a long time before they feel comfortable opening the border to US citizens. For instance, here's the BC health minister stating that the border should be closed long past June 21: https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/05/19/bc-health-minister-border-close-to-non-essential-travel/?fbclid=IwAR2345LO0GynPqUnHSrax_LWGMfFVu8cYowunsux-ds80XEiw7Pa7X3nl6g

I would love to be wrong but am bracing myself for the worst. This would have been my 20th consecutive summer vacationing in Whistler, so again, I hope I'm wrong!
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
We haven't yet seen the results of opening things up yet. There appears to be an uptick in case numbers. "Very few cases" in July? As I say, wouldn't that be wonderful? I wouldn't count on it until more time has passed and we have evidence.

But you did state earlier, is it worth going if the things you want to see and do are closed or operating at greatly reduced capacity? When do you have to decide?
There is currently substantial fear-induced ignorance regarding the lethality of the virus and it's likely course. But the facts are plain to see and we've already seen the Europeans embrace them. The same is likely to happen in North America in the next 2 weeks. As cases drop (we've seen dramatic drops in the USA in the past week) and economic pressures mount -- and nothing much happens in open countries and states -- we will almost certainly see some movement on the border issue. Whether it will be in time for a July vacation isn't yet knowable, of course.

I do thing some destinations will be more accessible and desirable than others. For example, I love vacationing in PEI, but a lot of the charm there is in the activities, like the nightly ceilidh music performances. Most of these take place in small community halls. Given the obvious fear factor, and lack of projected tourists, I doubt these will be well organized this summer. As an island, I also suspect they will be the most reluctant to open. So perhaps PEI is literally a bridge too far this summer. I've got a little more hope with Nova Scotia, which has more "natural" outdoor activities anyway, but we'll have to see.
Old May 26, 2020, 9:59 pm

There is currently substantial fear-induced ignorance regarding the lethality of the virus and it's likely course. But the facts are plain to see and we've already seen the Europeans embrace them. The same is likely to happen in North America in the next 2 weeks. As cases drop (we've seen dramatic drops in the USA in the past week) and economic pressures mount -- and nothing much happens in open countries and states -- we will almost certainly see some movement on the border issue. Whether it will be in time for a July vacation isn't yet knowable, of course.
I really hope that you're right!
Old May 26, 2020, 11:37 pm
Community Director Emerita

We had a grizzly bear trip scheduled in early July in British Columbia. I heard from both a hotel and the lodge that we should cancel or rebook. Another company posted that all their grizzly bear trips have been canceled. They would normally extend thru July. I had initially thought it would be my choice whether to go to BC in July but two weeks ago, it was no longer my choice.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We had a grizzly bear trip scheduled in early July in British Columbia. I heard from both a hotel and the lodge that we should cancel or rebook. Another company posted that all their grizzly bear trips have been canceled. They would normally extend thru July. I had initially thought it would be my choice whether to go to BC in July but two weeks ago, it was no longer my choice.
The grizzly bear called to say he's quite pleased he won't be stared at.
SJOGuy and tentseller like this.
Old May 27, 2020, 2:19 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
You are correct, of course, but tourism/travel is not considered essential by the Canadian government.
Yes, that's also correct. I have added to my post above in case it was not clear.
Old May 27, 2020, 4:07 am

More power to you for optimism, iahphx. I think it's misplaced, but it's not my trip and not my risk. As SanDiego1K says above, I think the decision will be made for you. It's a shame, because I agree that PEI is a gem of a place.
Old May 27, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
My aged mother lives in Vancouver.

My sister and I live in the USA and Japan.

While my mother is fairly healthy, she does need some assistance with minor issues (ie: filing taxes and government applications, etc). Between my sister and I, we visit mom 3-4 times a year. We have been able to care for all the issues without any problem.

Except now.....

I usually go in February-March of every year. I managed to go this year and get back to Japan just days before the lockdown started. Now we are trying to plan for the future. Would things be open again by February? Heck, could the borders be open and closed again by next February? I'm I being optimistic in hoping I can go visit mom again this autumn or early next year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.