Last edit by: seawolf
Print Wikipost

Canada bans entry from foreigners; restricting entry to non-essential travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2020, 2:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Read up in the thread. It may not be about US tourists, though. May be about opening to other countries. Hard to say.
That's my understanding as well. US restrictions in place until July 21. Other countries were to be expiring Jun 30. So it could be announcement to either extend or open border to non-US.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
That's my understanding as well. US restrictions in place until July 21. Other countries were to be expiring Jun 30. So it could be announcement to either extend or open border to non-US.
Both the orders closing the border to entry from countries other than the US and imposing the 14 day quarantine on anyone who enters expire on June 30, so there will have to be some sort of decision/announcement before then. I do have a suspicion that they will just get extended though.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by CanuckInParis
Both the orders closing the border to entry from countries other than the US and imposing the 14 day quarantine on anyone who enters expire on June 30, so there will have to be some sort of decision/announcement before then. I do have a suspicion that they will just get extended though.
Yes, especially with the virus apparently now increasing substantially across large parts of the U.S.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I'm not expecting Canada to open its borders to other countries and continue to exclude the U.S.A. and the outbreaks in the southern states assures the border will be closed longer.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 1:52 am

Programs: Lufthansa/Aeroplan/Air Berlin
Thanks everyone,I appreciate the discussion and kind words. Yes, I understand it so as well - US border is definitely closed, the other ones will be announced Jun 30. I am not optimistic about this though, as Trudeau made some statement last monday about it kind of being one of the last priorities. I do wish they would consider relaxing a bit for countries who have corona well in grip. I know that the Canadians are mostly getting news and media from the US, and i am sure its scary, but here in Europe everything is really ok. Masks, social distancing - really have made the most difference as opposed to open borders (I say this almost in surprise, as I dont think that highly of other european countries abilities to maintain personal space - but so far since we opened our borders and schools, everything has been ok).

But I get it, I really do. Although we didnt plan on doing anything touristy, I also don't want to come if its going to feel apocalyptic and strange - that will hardly scratch my homesickness itch if I can't even go sit at a Timmies. I still have "maybe fly to go up to friends cottage for 2 weeks" as an option, but I think i should best try to get in contact with someone to make sure the border isnt going to be a problem. I suspect it will be, despite my Canadian passport, because even in non corona times, border control is extremely scrutinizing "what are you doing here, whose children are these".

A question about the voucher option: weeks ago, everyone on the Air Canada subreddit was warning people NOT to except the voucher, saying there were very high fees associated with using them. After that, AC did change some policies. Any reports as to whether this is no longer risky to do?
Old Jun 26, 2020, 2:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
As a Canadian citizen, you cannot be refused entry into Canada, for whatever reason. I strongly suspect you husband would be allowed as well, as a spouse. Not to be provocative, but you could even tell the CBSA officer ‘it’s none of your business why I’m here,’ if asked.

The Star had an opinion piece a few days ago that the border will remain closed until the end of the year.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite

The Star had an opinion piece a few days ago that the border will remain closed until the end of the year.
Would you happen to have a source for that article?
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gonebabygone
There was a similar statement made by an immigration lawyer reported by the CBC.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...avel-1.5619268

"I honestly don't think the border will open until the end of the year," said U.S. immigration lawyer Len Saunders. "Especially when you hear about more [COVID-19] cases in Arizona and Texas and all these southern states."
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gonebabygone
Here you go:

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star...open-soon.html

It may be behind a paywall for you, so here is a relevant snip:

What would it take to reopen the border? You know, the big one with the United States of America. Yeah, those guys.It’s an unknowable, like so much else. But it is hard to imagine it happens this year, honestly. The other day the president of the United States said he tried to discourage COVID-19 testing, and he wasn’t joking, because to joke you need a sense of humour, even a dark and vicious one. This president of the United States can no more joke than he can do a backflip, or name all 50 states.

We don’t know what America will do about the border. They wanted to put troops there, way back in the pandemic; if they decide unilaterally to open, we still have the Quarantine Act.

But from a Canadian standpoint, it’s simple: we love our special friends, our main trading partner, our continental neighbour, flaws and all. But the border won’t be open for a long, long time.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fraport
Thanks everyone,I appreciate the discussion and kind words. Yes, I understand it so as well - US border is definitely closed, the other ones will be announced Jun 30. I am not optimistic about this though, as Trudeau made some statement last monday about it kind of being one of the last priorities. I do wish they would consider relaxing a bit for countries who have corona well in grip. I know that the Canadians are mostly getting news and media from the US, and i am sure its scary, but here in Europe everything is really ok. Masks, social distancing - really have made the most difference as opposed to open borders (I say this almost in surprise, as I dont think that highly of other european countries abilities to maintain personal space - but so far since we opened our borders and schools, everything has been ok).

But I get it, I really do. Although we didnt plan on doing anything touristy, I also don't want to come if its going to feel apocalyptic and strange - that will hardly scratch my homesickness itch if I can't even go sit at a Timmies. I still have "maybe fly to go up to friends cottage for 2 weeks" as an option, but I think i should best try to get in contact with someone to make sure the border isnt going to be a problem. I suspect it will be, despite my Canadian passport, because even in non corona times, border control is extremely scrutinizing "what are you doing here, whose children are these".

A question about the voucher option: weeks ago, everyone on the Air Canada subreddit was warning people NOT to except the voucher, saying there were very high fees associated with using them. After that, AC did change some policies. Any reports as to whether this is no longer risky to do?
Air Canada announced yesterday that those flying EU to Canada can now get a full refund (not Canada to EU though, so provided it is a round ticket, not two separate tickets you should be ok)

https://www.cp24.com/news/air-canada...irus%20crisis.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by emma69
Air Canada announced yesterday that those flying EU to Canada can now get a full refund (not Canada to EU though, so provided it is a round ticket, not two separate tickets you should be ok)

https://www.cp24.com/news/air-canada...irus%20crisis.
And since I have the Star open, here is their reporting:

https://www.thestar.com/business/202...estar_business

MONTREAL - Air Canada has quietly changed its refund policy to allow some customers whose flights were cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic to recoup their cash — but not passengers whose trips originated in Canada.

Travellers with flights “departing” from the European Union, Switzerland or Iceland but called off due to the pandemic are “entitled to receive a refund,” states a document recently posted to Air Canada’s website.

“For customers with itineraries originating out of the EU, Air Canada has...recently added the option of a refund for non-refundable tickets,” the company said in an email Thursday.

The airline is not reimbursing passengers flying one-way or round-trip from Canada to Europe, however.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:47 am
Suspended

Practically speaking with the outbreaks in popular U.S. destinations for Canadian visitors I'm not confident of a fully-open border until America gets the virus under control no matter how long it takes.

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 26, 2020 at 4:59 pm Reason: Off topic
Old Jun 26, 2020, 7:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Practically speaking with the outbreaks in popular U.S. destinations for Canadian visitors I'm not confident of a fully-open border until America gets the virus under control no matter how long it takes.
Technically speaking, US is actually open for Canadian tourist flying into US as prohibition on non-essential only applies to US land port of entry.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Technically speaking, US is actually open for Canadian tourist flying into US as prohibition on non-essential only applies to US land port of entry.
That is correct however Canada is not open to Americans coming here. Returning Canadians meanwhile are subject to a very strict 14 day quarantine.

Last edited by Badenoch; Jun 27, 2020 at 6:37 am
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:20 pm

A glimmer of hope!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/w...ravel-ban.html

"The full list finalized on Friday includes Algeria, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, Serbia, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, Uruguay, Andorra, San Marino, Monaco and the Vatican. China will be included if it also opens its borders to European Union travelers, as reciprocal reopening is one of the criteria used to make the final selection for the safe list."

If that last part is true then this might be a sneak preview of Trudeau's announcement to come on June 30...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.