Last edit by: seawolf
Print Wikipost

Canada bans entry from foreigners; restricting entry to non-essential travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2020, 9:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
In post #229 it stated that the border definitely would be closed through August 31st and the link to the actual order was posted there. Why is there now talk of just being closed through August 15th (or course subject to review at that time).
Post 229 is likely in reference to mandatory quarantine which (currently) is in effect until 31 AUG. Crossing from US for non-essential is prohibited until 21 JUL but it's looking to be extended as some regions of US is losing control. Even if ban on non-essential travel from US wasn't extended, the mandatory quarantine would have effectively neutered tourism..
Badenoch likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
What puzzles me is if even the hundreds of thousands of foreign students that had study permits and are viewed as essential travellers can find their way to Canada how are they getting medical insurance?
I understand that the universities usually have health insurance plans set up. That is for the student's time in Canada. If something happens on the trip *to* Canada, I dunno, but it is a very short period of time.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 7:33 am
Original Member

Updated wiki with latest transborder non-essential date
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:52 pm

Folks - does anyone have a copy of the Canadian Traveler Contact Information paper form? I realize ArriveCAN is the better option, but I have some not so tech savvy older relatives flying in next week and they would rather get the form filled out ahead of time.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by nomad1972
Folks - does anyone have a copy of the Canadian Traveler Contact Information paper form? I realize ArriveCAN is the better option, but I have some not so tech savvy older relatives flying in next week and they would rather get the form filled out ahead of time.
Here is a PDF from the Transport Canada Website.
nomad1972 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 9:00 pm

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Hello everyone. I expect to move to Canada in August/September pending work permit approval as I will start a new position in Edmonton. As I understand it, going to Canada for work is considered essential travel.
I noticed the following in the government directives regarding Covid:

Passengers must arrive at Calgary (YYC), Montreal (YUL), Toronto (YYZ) or Vancouver (YVR).

Does it mean that the 14-day quarantine has to be in one of those cities as well, or could I travel to YEG and do the quarantine over there?

Thank you very much for your kind replies!
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:18 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
You are allowed to continue to your destination without undue delay, and can quarantine there.
seawolf and quinzinho like this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:29 am
Original Member

Restrictions on non-essential extended to 31 AUG.

https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/...=39518&lang=en
Old Aug 13, 2020, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Folks, a number of posts in this thread centered on recent experiences of "essential" Canadian workers returning home so those posts have been moved out and into their own thread which is here so please continue that discussion in the new thread as this one will return to being about restrictions for citizens of other countries entering Canada.

tcook052
Canada forum moderator

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 15, 2020 at 10:26 am
Old Aug 14, 2020, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Non-essential travel ban between Canada and the U.S. extended into September by the Americans
Finkface and OSSYULYYZ like this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Non-essential travel ban between Canada and the U.S. extended into September by the Americans
https://twitter.com/globeandmail/sta...82391737888769
And by the Federal Government of Canada, too.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...r-21-1.5686475
Old Aug 14, 2020, 4:16 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
And by the Federal Government of Canada, too.
This is in keeping with US administration putting out the news first to distract from the fact that it was in fact Canada that dictated this closure
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 6:41 pm

"A government representative at the border will determine if your reason for travelling to Canada can be considered for exemption under the emergency orders.

Foreign nationals arriving from the U.S. may be able to enter Canada for non-discretionary (non-optional) travel purposes.
Foreign nationals arriving from countries other than the U.S. may also be allowed to enter Canada. However, their travel must be non-discretionary (non-optional) and fall under exemptions set out in the emergency order."

geez, this is so vague.

i work for a finanical firm that has a office in montreal. my dept in the states wants me to work there for a week so i intend to fly.

what am i supppsed to have ready for these border officials? their wording is so vague. they kinda explain the what but not the how.

has any american flown in for business? how was the clearance procedure, they want to see emails? phone calls to a mgr to confirm?
Old Aug 15, 2020, 4:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by EmailKid
This is in keeping with US administration putting out the news first to distract from the fact that it was in fact Canada that dictated this closure
Canada doesn't "dictate" the border closure it decides. America could open its borders to non-essential Canadian travelers at any time and has providing you fly. Canada can keep the border closed to non-essential travelers from America in perpetuity if it so chooses.
OSSYULYYZ likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by abc5
"A government representative at the border will determine if your reason for travelling to Canada can be considered for exemption under the emergency orders.

Foreign nationals arriving from the U.S. may be able to enter Canada for non-discretionary (non-optional) travel purposes.
Foreign nationals arriving from countries other than the U.S. may also be allowed to enter Canada. However, their travel must be non-discretionary (non-optional) and fall under exemptions set out in the emergency order."

geez, this is so vague.

i work for a finanical firm that has a office in montreal. my dept in the states wants me to work there for a week so i intend to fly.

what am i supppsed to have ready for these border officials? their wording is so vague. they kinda explain the what but not the how.

has any american flown in for business? how was the clearance procedure, they want to see emails? phone calls to a mgr to confirm?
This is fairly common around the world. I’m not sure providing hundreds of pages of possible exemptions would help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.