Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by convair
Last 3 years I've hit over 4,000, over 4,000, over 3,500 (ytd). Prior year (4 yaers ago) was about 2,500.

No invite received.

Wondering whether I have to wait til end of membership year (still a very long way off, am on target for 6,000-7,000 this year). Or whether there's some discretionary "don't award to this class of passenger" system.
See my post above (post 96). I was told it is 3 previous years with 3500+ TPs.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or whether there's some discretionary "don't award to this class of passenger" system.
And what class of passenger are you exactly, innit, wot?
Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Well I was seriously wondering whether there were exceptions since I apparently met the point count. Maybe excluding corporate customers (as an MVCC), or certain types of route flown.

There ain't much competition on some of the main routes I fly, due to an impressively coordinated closed skies agreement resulting in limited capacity, very high prices and always-full planes: BA could make the case that it's either fly with them or choose to walk/swim so why would they need to incentivise me?
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I was seriously wondering whether there were exceptions since I apparently met the point count. Maybe excluding corporate customers (as an MVCC), or certain types of route flown.
It is meant to be based on TP count only.

FYI, there was apparently a fresh intake of new members to the GGL yesterday, so it is being opened up to more. Watch your mailbox for a flimsy black card.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Unhappy

Sminoff wrote:FYI, there was apparently a fresh intake of new members to the GGL yesterday, so it is being opened up to more. Watch your mailbox for a flimsy black card.
A bit like the Birthday Honours list, then!

And there was me all dolled up in my best shell suit and burberry scarf...

Seriously, you have to larf.. I retired last year, having for a few years got to 3500 to 4500 each year, now I struggle to get over the 1500 level by diligent use of I fares etc. So no prospect of the black card!

Last edited by chippy63; Jul 20, 2007 at 4:04 pm
Old Jul 29, 2007, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Gold
One of my fellow golfers who is also on the Guest List had a BA party invite this week. Apparently they had a great evening drinking and chatting to most of the BA top management. I guess my invite got lost I the post thins time round.
Perhaps I should use them a bit more.@:-)
Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by jhm
Does anything show up on the online BAEC pages to indicate you're a member of GGL ? If not and assuming (say) your letter inviting you to GGL got binned by accident , then would you never know ?
Exactly this has just happened to me .... am just home today from a long series of flights. Whilst I was away mrs. convair in the course of checking mail for me mentioned to me some letter from BA about some guest list thing. Came home, checking my mail, didn't see it, ?, "oh, I just assumed it was junk mail and threw it away after I told you. Was there anything for free in the letter, extra flight or upgrades?" No. They just answer the phone quicker and are helpful. Rolling of eyes. I dropped the subject.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL, ICC Amb Plat, LH Freq Fly, Hilton Diamond
Well I'm at 3,200 and Could get to North of 5,000 TPs this year. However this is my first year of doing much BA flying. At the moment though I'm tempted to throw some UA F's into my travel plans to keep my 1K but there is that real thought going through my mine that 3,500 TPs won't be enough and I should break through 4,000 with BA to help my cause. However if I have to wait another 2.5 years is there any point in my trying.

Does anyone have any experience of GGL membership being given to new BA flyers as I've gone from long term blue to Gold Last year and now 3,200 points in just half a year so would really hope they track new flyers too. Understand though if they don't I suppose its long term loyalty they want but they also make it too!
Old Jul 29, 2007, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Scotland
Well I'm at 3,200 and Could get to North of 5,000 TPs this year. However this is my first year of doing much BA flying. At the moment though I'm tempted to throw some UA F's into my travel plans to keep my 1K but there is that real thought going through my mine that 3,500 TPs won't be enough and I should break through 4,000 with BA to help my cause. However if I have to wait another 2.5 years is there any point in my trying.

Does anyone have any experience of GGL membership being given to new BA flyers as I've gone from long term blue to Gold Last year and now 3,200 points in just half a year so would really hope they track new flyers too. Understand though if they don't I suppose its long term loyalty they want but they also make it too!
I would recommend to keep your UA 1k (*G) and your BA Gold instead of aiming for GGL. Status on both *A and OW are more valuable than just BA Gold.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rambuster
I would recommend to keep your UA 1k (*G) and your BA Gold instead of aiming for GGL. Status on both *A and OW are more valuable than just BA Gold.
I would have to disagree. Top tier status (in the form of GGL) is worth FAR more than regular Gold, and is exactly the reason why it makes sense to stay with BA.

Notes they can put in the bookings make you sound very important to BA, and put you high up the upgrade list.

And the biggest advantage - one phone call or email and everything is fixed, all done for you behind the scenes.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Shame they can't manage that for their regular gold card holders.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 3:57 pm

The people on the EC Blue number are always lovely!!
Old Aug 4, 2007, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by LHR Tim
Shame they can't manage that for their regular gold card holders.
I have no major complaints on the EC/call centre front in general as a 'regular' UK Gold from my contact with them. I also have no complaints about BA going the extra mile and offering something special - yet tangible and recognised - for people who chuck a huge amount of money BA's way and fly very, very regularly. The Smirnoffs, Swanhunters, et al of the system should absolutely get something over and above what (for example) the 800 TP Eurocheats of the world do, even though the cards are the same colour.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
I would have to disagree. Top tier status (in the form of GGL) is worth FAR more than regular Gold, and is exactly the reason why it makes sense to stay with BA.

Notes they can put in the bookings make you sound very important to BA, and put you high up the upgrade list.

And the biggest advantage - one phone call or email and everything is fixed, all done for you behind the scenes.
OK, if you are looking at scoring upgrades perhaps GGL works. And being based in the UK also has an influence. For members outside the UK the picture is a little different. (No GGL in Europe yet)

Perhaps BA should take a look at LH's SEN/HON hotline? They can be reached 24/7/365 and not like BA's Exec club from Mon-Fri 9am-5pm (at least the German BA Exec is like this). If you want to book a ticket on the phone (sometimes one has to) and MFU it with BA you first have to call 01805 BOOKBA in Germany and then after you have gone through this you have to call the German BAEC to MFU the ticket. They can't do it all in one go. Quite different with LH.

I am not sure what it is like in the UK? Every time I called there they told me that they can do sod all for me as I am registered in Germany and that I have to call the local BAEC office (which was of course always closed).

If BA are really serious about their top frequent fliers why not introduce an official obtainable level by flying above BA Gold and turn BA Premier into something similar to LH's HON Circle ? They could still pamper their important CEOs and VIP by awarding it without having to actually qualify by flying. (Which LH does not by the way. All that counts is 600k status miles in two years - nothing else. period. )
I have shifted a lot of my travel back to *A due to the shambles LHR is. Not really BA's fault but they will lose my revenue until I T5 is open (provided the promises of paradise are kept ). I will keep my BA Gold status and collect my GUF2 voucher, but that will be it for now.
Just my 2 cents anyway.

Last edited by Rambuster; Aug 4, 2007 at 4:29 pm
Old Aug 4, 2007, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Perhaps BA should take a look at LH's SEN/HON hotline? They can be reached 24/7/365 and not like BA's Exec club from Mon-Fri 9am-5pm (at least the German BA Exec is like this). If you want to book a ticket on the phone (sometimes one has to) and MFU it with BA you first have to call 01805 BOOKBA in Germany and then after you have gone through this you have to call the German BAEC to MFU the ticket. They can't do it all in one go. Quite different with LH.
The GGL number (as all the EC numbers in the UK probably) works from 0730 to 2000.

But the email support works fine outside those hours. Take last night, I emailed GGL at about 0300 UK time, about the possibility of missing a connection at LHR (on a separate booking).

By the time I stepped off the plane at LHR mid-morning, I had a voicemail with 2/3 options for re-booking/re-routing me to get me to the final destination, and I had already been re-booked on one of them. Actually this message was even passed to me by the cabin crew in flight, at around 0900 UK time. And this was on a separate ticket, yet they re-routed me at no extra charge on BA/LX via ZRH, and assigned me seat 1C on the BA flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.