Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Long haul in-flight catering 2024 | Club World

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PETER01
Please do not quote photos in this thread.

Most routes are to/from London Heathrow/LHR. Routes to/from London Gatwick/LGW are this colour for easier reference.

Some pictures may only be part of the menu for info.

Wiki updated to Post 584

Current Menus - APRIL 2024

AUS - Post 482

CUN - Post 528 Post 573

HKG - Post 562

HND - Post 568

JFK - Post 475 Post 574 Post 579

JNB - Post 507 Post 517

LAS - Post 534

LAX - Post 464, Post 477 Post 535 Post 576

MCO - Post 546

MEX - Post 481

MIA - Post 584

NAS/PLS - Post 496 Post 563

NBO - Post 533

PVG - Post 549 Post 570

SAN - Post 564 Post 565

SIN - Post 502

SYD - Post 486 487

UVF - Post 577

YYZ - Post 550

=========================================

MARCH 2024

ATL - Post 341

BGI Post 390

BLR - Post 293 363

BNAPost 388

BOSPost 335 296

CPTPost 272 425

CUNPost 375 377

DENPost 281 282 354

DXBPost 352 359

HKG – Post 393 406 422

HNDPost 344 431 432 441

IADPost 316 338 434 472

JFKPost 401

JNB Post 408

LAXPost 345

MIAPost 378

MSYPost 303

SANPost 417

SCLPost 389

SINPost 290

YULPost 297

Print Wikipost

Long haul in-flight catering 2024 | Club World

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2024, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jsydave
Hi all. My wife and I will be traveling on BA116 JFK-LHR on January 22, and she told me this evening it's a "sleeper service" so they won't have dinner and will only do a breakfast service. Looking above this doesn't sound like a thing but does this ring a bell with anyone or sound like a misunderstanding?

EDIT: couldn't find link myself but somewhere on the site they do mention flights after 19:30 get a "night cap" then breakfast. Will reserve judgment but initial thoughts are a bit disappointing
BA no longer offer the sleeper service and you will get a normal dinner, and then breakfast. They tend to try and move slightly faster than normal, and will ask if you want to sleep through breakfast.

But you can have a completely normal service just like a daytime flight.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 12:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by nathanliu
BA no longer offer the sleeper service and you will get a normal dinner, and then breakfast. They tend to try and move slightly faster than normal, and will ask if you want to sleep through breakfast.

But you can have a completely normal service just like a daytime flight.
Ah ok great. I thought it was the sort of thing we'd have seen mentioned somewhere along the way since we booked this trip last March. Going out to JFK next Thursday so will post the necessary pics.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:38 pm

Vegetarian Meal or not?

Hi all,

I'm traveling SFO - LHR in CW with my husband who is vegetarian. I'm trying to figure out if I should order a vegetarian meal for him, or if there will be a vegetarian option from the standard choices offered to passengers.

Last year we flew on Air France in business and I made the mistake of ordering him the vegetarian meal in advance, and his breakfast meal was terrible. He saw what I had (fresh fruit, yogurt, croissant) and that was much better than his sorry omelet/egg contraption. Since they had a vegetarian main, it would have worked out better if I had not ordered a vegetarian meal for him.

When we asked about getting a regular breakfast for him, they said they didn't have any and since he ordered the vegetarian meal, he was stuck with it. (in Business class? That was a bit disappointing that they couldn't find anything for him.)

So what do you think? Will there be a vegetarian main course on the flight?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 7:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, easyJet Plus, YHA platinum, Amex Centurion, Peugeot owners club, Stagecoach gold rider
Pics from the above pictured menu on the BA173 LHR-JFK:

artichoke soup:

beef:

crunchy chocolate bar and fruit for dessert:
Sealink likes this.

Last edited by golfmad; Jan 11, 2024 at 8:12 pm Reason: Images reduced for readability
Old Jan 12, 2024, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Lidl Plus
Originally Posted by atjsfo
Hi all,

See posts above for lots of CW menus - from these it looks as if there is always a vegetarian option. However, it's possible that this is no longer available by the time you are served. As a basic rule of thumb, the closer you are to the front of the cabin, the better your chance of getting your first choice (with some exceptions depending on status). Because availability of a given choice isn't guaranteed, you would be taking a risk by not ordering a vegetarian meal if this was an absolute requirement.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
I didn't manage to take any photos of the menu or food, but my goodness the Bobootie Lamb Lasagne main course dish coming back from CPT was awful. I think it's very much an acquired taste - tangy, fruity and a bit spicy, which you'll either love or hate - the guy opposite me seemed to polish his off, I forced my way through as much as I could as I was hungry. I like a curry, but did not enjoy this, there also didn't seem to be much sign of any lamb.

There was also some sort of savoury panna cotta to start. I ate the cheese, tomatoes and cucumber which were pleasant enough but the panna cotta element was like eating a strange tasting piece of rubber.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by atjsfo
Hi all,

I'm traveling SFO - LHR in CW with my husband who is vegetarian. I'm trying to figure out if I should order a vegetarian meal for him, or if there will be a vegetarian option from the standard choices offered to passengers.

Last year we flew on Air France in business and I made the mistake of ordering him the vegetarian meal in advance, and his breakfast meal was terrible. He saw what I had (fresh fruit, yogurt, croissant) and that was much better than his sorry omelet/egg contraption. Since they had a vegetarian main, it would have worked out better if I had not ordered a vegetarian meal for him.

When we asked about getting a regular breakfast for him, they said they didn't have any and since he ordered the vegetarian meal, he was stuck with it. (in Business class? That was a bit disappointing that they couldn't find anything for him.)

There are always meat-free starters and one meat-free main. It might not be strictly vegetarian given the chance for non-vegetarian cheese, but it's up to your husband if that's ok. If you don't have status with BA, it's worth asking the cabin crew when you first get given the menu. They should be flexible enough to keep a meal behind. I haven't flown without status in a while, but in my experience the meat-free option never ran out. Still worth asking, I'm sure they'll be accommodating.
Condolences for the Air France meal. Their vegetarian food is truly awful.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by astra19e
There are always meat-free starters and one meat-free main. It might not be strictly vegetarian given the chance for non-vegetarian cheese, but it's up to your husband if that's ok. If you don't have status with BA, it's worth asking the cabin crew when you first get given the menu. They should be flexible enough to keep a meal behind. I haven't flown without status in a while, but in my experience the meat-free option never ran out. Still worth asking, I'm sure they'll be accommodating.
Condolences for the Air France meal. Their vegetarian food is truly awful.
Thanks so much. This is a big help!
Old Jan 13, 2024, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by nathanliu
One thing worth adding. I once had an evening flight back from JFK which was delayed by two hours. I'd factored in eating around 7pm. Was closer to 9pm, meaning we didn't finish eating until close to 10pm. Couldn't get to sleep after that (as I'd just eaten). When I managed to sleep, felt like we were just being woken again for breakfast! Felt like only 3 hours between finishing dinner and waking for breakfast.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chriswiles
When I managed to sleep, felt like we were just being woken again for breakfast! Felt like only 3 hours between finishing dinner and waking for breakfast.
This is exactly the reason I try and get the daytime flight back from NYC, the overnight flights ruin me for a day
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Lucanesque
This is exactly the reason I try and get the daytime flight back from NYC, the overnight flights ruin me for a day
There aren't any though? Only something silly like 8.50am in the morning and then the jump to 6.30pm. Where's the daytime flights? I'm not getting up mega-early to get to JFK that early either!
Old Jan 14, 2024, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
We've done the overnight back across the Atlantic before and found it worked ok for us then, but we've got an onward flight to JER after 4 hours, so we might grab a couple of zzz's back in the lounge again before the last flight.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
BA107 LHR-DXB 8th Jan.

Credit where its due, this was the best meal i've had on BA in ages. Even the salad (that i scoffed before taking a picture) was excellent. The courgette cream was a nice change from dressing and kept everything moist. The soup was good as always and the lamb maskool smelt and tasted amazing, with a bit of spice to it.

The second meal, albeit only half a sarnie(!) was tasty enough too - it was bresaola and mozarella, followed by panna cotta, which was just the right texture. Good effort BA!

Last edited by golfmad; Jan 14, 2024 at 7:11 am Reason: Reduced sizes
Old Jan 14, 2024, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by chriswiles
There aren't any though? Only something silly like 8.50am in the morning and then the jump to 6.30pm. Where's the daytime flights? I'm not getting up mega-early to get to JFK that early either!
Well the daytime lights have to get back to Heathrow in time to allow people to get back home.
And TBH, the planes can't sit unproductively on the tarmac at JFK for several hours in the morning before setting out...
orbitmic and Lucanesque like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by astra19e
If you don't have status with BA, it's worth asking the cabin crew when you first get given the menu. They should be flexible enough to keep a meal behind. .
With respect, why should they? That’s basically asking them to breach the protocol they are supposed to follow just because a passenger explicitly chose not to reserve one of the multiple options that specifically fit their dietary restrictions. Honestly, I’d 100% recommend your husband pre-selecting one of the different vegetarian options as a vegetarian. You get the generic one but in my view, if your husband likes Asian food, the AVML is often better from London though not sure from sfo. The breakfast option will be the veggie frittata or equivalent with the regular vgml and normally an Indian flavoured egg dish with the avml

i see no good reason not to pre-order (why take a risk when you have multiple options to avoid it!) and I’ve personally heard the vegetarian option in the main menu running out multiple times, both when it’s been a pasta dish and a curry one as an load few of them. Also breakfast may only have a sweet vegetarian option alongside the full English and charcuterie plate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.