Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise à jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2023, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
First time here, finally !! First - anyone hear some screaming of happiness for the showers that was me - the water is freaking hot !!! Like hot hot. What a joke old FL was w never having hot water. LA was the only one that got hot and you had to crank it hard and even hold it and it wasn’t hot like that.. Off to a great start w that shower.

<interlude>

Oh and it’s way too hot in here. Had them lower it a couple degrees and it’s acceptable now.

You don't think you might have still been feeling the after effects of your shower, making you feel hotter?
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
You don't think you might have still been feeling the after effects of your shower, making you feel hotter?
Well I did take a 15 min shower and there is no ventilation in there at all so it was really hot but actually the lounge felt hot before I showered. It was stuffy and not pleasant Made a huge diff the 2-3 degrees they put it down. T8 always feels a bit warm tbh. T4 is cooler for sure.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by M17SST
First visit to the Chelsea lounge and was initially denied access and told that as a GGL travelling in flagship business I should be in the Greenwich lounge.
Definately should have been allowed into Chelsea, if it was an AA Flagship route, even if flying economy.

But even then - to be directed to Greenwich, instead of Soho (OWE)

How hard can this be?
Old Apr 6, 2023, 4:34 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by zen100
Definately should have been allowed into Chelsea, if it was an AA Flagship route, even if flying economy.

How hard can this be?
Probably fair to say that few of the lounge check-in folks are Rhodes Scholarship candidates.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 7:47 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zen100

How hard can this be?
On a non transcon in F. check in agent today said I could only use the AC. So yes it does appear to be very hard!
Old Apr 6, 2023, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by KARFA
On a non transcon in F. check in agent today said I could only use the AC. So yes it does appear to be very hard!
Eh?
I take it you managed to get into Soho at least??

I was going to report I heard from a friend who is GGL, travelling BA F back to LHR, who presented himself at the Chelsea and was told "sorry, you need to be in Flagship first...".
Fortunately he (politely, I'm sure) stood his ground and was admitted, although left for Soho after 20mins.

I'll be travelling AY J and so I know I won't be able to use the Chelsea anyway but I assume Soho will be OK?
Old Apr 7, 2023, 3:25 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by crazy8534
I was going to report I heard from a friend who is GGL, travelling BA F back to LHR, who presented himself at the Chelsea and was told "sorry, you need to be in Flagship first...".
Fortunately he (politely, I'm sure) stood his ground and was admitted, although left for Soho after 20mins.
The fact this situation of trying to deny BA F passengers access is still going on so many months after the lounge opened is by now completely inexcusable - someone responsible probably needs to be fired/encouraged to look for a new job.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 7:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Eh?
I take it you managed to get into Soho at least??

I'll be travelling AY J and so I know I won't be able to use the Chelsea anyway but I assume Soho will be OK?
I pointed out she was being an idiot (politely) but she stuck to her guns. Anyway couldn't be bothered arguing further so headed off to security. So yes I would have had soho, but was inbound on BA F so could go in chelsea.

I must say I am getting rather fed up of ignorant ground staff these days.
MaxFlyer, orbitmic, aks120 and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 8:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by KARFA
I pointed out she was being an idiot (politely) but she stuck to her guns. Anyway couldn't be bothered arguing further so headed off to security. So yes I would have had soho, but was inbound on BA F so could go in chelsea.

I must say I am getting rather fed up of ignorant ground staff these days.
I realise now it was the check-in agent feeding you nonsense, I had misunderstood it was the lounge staff.

Still...
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 8:58 am

How hard can this be to sort this out with the IT?

The rules are (now) pretty clear, and for departing passengers, the system must have all the information to hand.
  1. Whether pax is GGL or CK?
  2. Whether flying on BA metal (i.e. longhaul)? If First, or GGL/CK (any cabin)
  3. If flying on AA metal, whether it's a Flagship route. If First, or GGL/CK (any cabin)
I mean, it really is as simple as that. How hard can it be to get the desk scanner to check those rules.

It gets a bit more complicated with connecting passengers, but just get the basics right first.
EuropeanPete and M17SST like this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond
In my case the issue didn’t actually seem to be with the IT as when my boarding pass (JFK-LAX in Transcon J, connecting from LHR-JFK in F the day before) was scanned it permitted access.

The challenge was in getting them to scan it in the first place as I was just told no access, go to Greenwich, do not pass go, do not collect £200.

We were also initially denied access to checkin too
Old Apr 7, 2023, 9:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
In my case the issue didn’t actually seem to be with the IT as when my boarding pass (JFK-LAX in Transcon J, connecting from LHR-JFK in F the day before) was scanned it permitted access.

The challenge was in getting them to scan it in the first place as I was just told no access, go to Greenwich, do not pass go, do not collect £200.

We were also initially denied access to checkin too
What reason did they give?
Old Apr 7, 2023, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
What reason did they give?
Because we weren’t travelling in First

edit to add: I was met off the plane when arriving into JFK by a lady from special services. She was delightful. She made a big point of telling me to make sure I told them I was GGL to access premium check in the next day. I thought it was odd at the time but in hindsight maybe there have been issues with people being wrongfully turned away

Last edited by M17SST; Apr 7, 2023 at 10:05 am
Old Apr 7, 2023, 10:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Because we weren’t travelling in First
It's years that OWE / BA golds can use the flagship check-in... Between yours and Karfa's agents, what in heaven were they thinking? (or drinking)
EuropeanPete and alex67500 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
It's years that OWE / BA golds can use the flagship check-in... Between yours and Karfa's agents, what in heaven were they thinking? (or drinking)
Probably not Krug

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.