Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA AMS lounge permanently closed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
there's still only 3 direct trains (maximum) per day - and up to 38 daily flights (all airlines and all airports) so I wouldn't lay the lounge closure at the door of Eurostar...
900 per train (max), that's 2700, about 12 planes a day. They pretty much ruined the Brussels and Paris direct planes for a hundred miles around London. I shifted from BA/Sabina BHX to BRU in 2000, and that with was slow train from Waterloo to Ashford.

Given the hour to the airport, the hour checkin, the hour flight, baggage then back to centre, about 1.5 hours, a total of 4.5 hours of real travel if you're travelling from the centre of a city to a centre, Amsterdam on Eurostar with 30 minutes checkin is about the same. I think it's a definite competitor (but not as much as the Paris and Brussels).
Old Aug 10, 2022, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Aspire lounge today. Packed inside, a large queue stretching to the lift outside.

https://instagram.com/stories/straig...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
I went in on Thursday 4th at about 7.45 am
There were no seats at all- I could have tried too beg an empty chair from a table (they all had bags or feet on them) and sit next to the loos on a filthy table with no chairs and crap piled up on it but I turned round and walked straight out.

There was almost no food- 1 croissant available. There was yoghurt, 2 pieces of spam , 1 slice of cheese and some bananas
People has their feet on tables
A large area was roped off for Singapore Airlines and unused.

I didnt take any photos but they would have been pretty poor.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Aug 11, 2022 at 6:53 am
Old Aug 11, 2022, 2:11 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I'm not surprised about the situation especially the morning bank of flights - as this is the only lounge used by non-Skyteam/KLM passengers. On some days, with the late afternoon bank of flights, (especially depending on days when Etihad and Qatar's schedule coincide), the lounge is the same zoo - I believe the only difference is that the SQ side of the lounge even if you use it, you will not get comments from the staff - I have done this a few times.

But indeed, it's crazy and I don't really get those with PP (and other eligible users) - if there's no place, I would prefer to find a spot somewhere else in the terminal which is quiet with an electrical outlet and you can still work - sans drink/food. This is much better compared to being in such a zoo.

Cheers!
Old Aug 11, 2022, 5:52 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Originally Posted by salut0
Wonder if AMS is hurting because of direct Eurostar trains? I guess a long taxi to the (in)famous Polderbaan doesn’t make flying more attractive…
If you're ready for reviews of the happy persons switching from plane to train, there is still much disaster when things go wrong:
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.eurostar.com
DelTroon likes this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Aug 11, 2022 at 7:36 am
Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
Aspire lounge today. Packed inside, a large queue stretching to the lift outside.

https://instagram.com/stories/straig...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
I haven’t used BA to travel to Amsterdam for a few years but that looks nothing close to the premium experience we have been “promised”.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 2:37 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Aspire lounge wasn’t in too bad a shape yesterday afternoon and emptied out quite a lot after the Turkish Airlines flight left

Was still queuing for people with Priority Pass or paying for access

BA Lounge still has a an A4 printed sheet promising us something exciting is coming 🤣
HadesNL likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I STRONGLY recommend booking KLM Business Class if you need to go to Amsterdam. You get to access the Sky Priority area (similar to BA's First Wing) and of course the Crown Lounge which is huge - probably bigger than all BA's T5 lounges combined - and so never really crowded. Did this the other week and, admittedly at 3pm, got from the central plaza (railway station) to the lounge in around 15 minutes.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Raffles
I STRONGLY recommend booking KLM Business Class if you need to go to Amsterdam. You get to access the Sky Priority area (similar to BA's First Wing) and of course the Crown Lounge which is huge - probably bigger than all BA's T5 lounges combined - and so never really crowded. Did this the other week and, admittedly at 3pm, got from the central plaza (railway station) to the lounge in around 15 minutes.
In my experience the Non Schengen Crown Lounge, although huge and great is always rammed from early morning to late afternoon. Quite a few other posters have experienced the same.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
In my experience the Non Schengen Crown Lounge, although huge and great is always rammed from early morning to late afternoon. Quite a few other posters have experienced the same.
Having used it a few times recently I would say busy not rammed. Fairly easy to take a a shower within 30 mins max and I never had and issue finding a space to sit. I think the problem is that everyone is trying to sit next to the food section and this specific area is indeed rammed.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: Mucci; BAEC GGL; (In memoriam: KLM Flying Dutchman Royal Wing & FB Platinum Elite)
I
in my experience it was more the number of mice that were the problem rather than the number other pax, but maybe I’m being picky
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:59 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
I went in on Thursday 4th at about 7.45 am
There were no seats at all- I could have tried too beg an empty chair from a table (they all had bags or feet on them) and sit next to the loos on a filthy table with no chairs and crap piled up on it but I turned round and walked straight out.
Not quite so bad this morning, but by shortly after 7:30, they were denying Priority Pass holders, and there was a short wait for pax getting in on J tickets or airline status. I maybe waited 10 minutes with my BA BP.

It's pretty full, but there are a few open seats around, and not yet very messy.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I'm old enough to remember when the bar for a decent lounge was set slightly higher than:

*there is a seat available
*it isn't 'very messy'
Old Nov 11, 2022, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beamac
In my experience it was more the number of mice that were the problem rather than the number other pax, but maybe I’m being picky
AMS is infested with mice. Mice in the KL lounges at AMS has been a standing joke on the KL Forum for decades.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by NickB
AMS is infested with mice. Mice in the KL lounges at AMS has been a standing joke on the KL Forum for decades.
Maybe they should hire a bunch of feline inspectors like some UK railway stations do.
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Sorry for being slightly OT but does anyone know whether a Gold (not me, so not GGL) can guest a non-status pax if both are travelling economy? I tried to search for the answer on ba.com but failed.

Thanks a lot!

Harry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.