Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by Delboy65
Not sure if it is their systems but tried booking a room with Travelodge and they couldn't recognise the card type once I had entered my number
Odd. TFL let me add it to my account for contactless travel, no problem.

But when I try to add it for Congestion Charge it goes as far as the Mastercard Identity Check applet, which just has the header and a spinning wheel for about 20 seconds - it never asks me to verify anything - and then goes back to the payment page with a declined message. It's almost like it knows it's a Mastercard but for some reason the link through to 3DS doesn't work.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
So I got a card today. I tried Google Pay without success (I know, I was warned but a geek can try!). Also, I tried the Barclaycard app. Now I need a PINsentry device before I can use it. 5-10 business days for delivery. Welcome back to 2012. This is really bad...
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by alex67500
So I got a card today. I tried Google Pay without success (I know, I was warned but a geek can try!). Also, I tried the Barclaycard app. Now I need a PINsentry device before I can use it. 5-10 business days for delivery. Welcome back to 2012. This is really bad...
I don’t have a PINsentry and set up the app with the card number, my driving licence and mobile number.
Delboy65 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Elite, Hyatt Diamond
To be fair I have a mortgage with woolwich/Barclays and the card just appeared when it was approved - now waiting for the bonus 50k to post to ba next month.

the tracker for the voucher though is, shall I say, crap but I assume it will just post when I hit the £10k next month as I managed to time a couple of large purchases. Just need to decide whether I downgrade or not.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
If it had double Avios (or triple in this case?) when booking with BA, I might keep it. But with TFCs the way they are I'll probably downgrade once I hit the bonus, I might not even go for the voucher since I can use the Amex one as a solo traveller. Unless we find out about wonderful Mastercard Elite Plus benefits but I'm not holding my breath. It'll be handy to have an Avios earning Mastercard, but not £20pm handy.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
Originally Posted by PITBULL1K
To be fair I have a mortgage with woolwich/Barclays and the card just appeared when it was approved - now waiting for the bonus 50k to post to ba next month.

the tracker for the voucher though is, shall I say, crap but I assume it will just post when I hit the £10k next month as I managed to time a couple of large purchases. Just need to decide whether I downgrade or not.
the tracker on the app doesn't update in real time, like AMEX, seems to update just a few times a week
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Elite, Hyatt Diamond
the tracker on the app doesn't update in real time, like AMEX, seems to update just a few times a week
prob right although now I see the voucher total is correct but the mileage bonus shows £95 total compared the £7k+ on the voucher

next question is whether to sign up to rewards on the mortgage current account, go through hassle log setting standing order for £800 month, adding couple of direct debits then get the credits to offset the charges…not sure it’s worth it but will see
Old Jul 21, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alex67500
If you have a card reader from RBS, Nationwide, etc they work too IME.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:11 pm

Terrible organisation/service at Barclaycard it seems (maybe that's why the BA partnership? Birds of a feather...)

Can't set up Apple Pay - get told to call in to verify.

Can't call in - automated phone system demands I enter my card number, refuses it, then plays a message scolding me for not entering it and saying that as a result I'll be back of the queue and have to wait 40 minutes.

Chat feature on website is down. Website and app very carefully avoid giving any type of "fill in a form" or email facility.

At this point I'm thinking I don't want 50000 avios enough to deal with any more of this...but I can't even cancel the poxy thing - same problem, unable to speak to anyone.

So my paper letter is in the post.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Indeed and think this is the reason I have now over paid my account annoyingly enough
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I’ve triggered my voucher and planning to cancel before the next £20 is due at the end of this month. How easy is it to cancel? After cancelling do the accrued points transfer across without any issues?
I’ve not had any problems with the card (apart from the frustration of no Google pay), but I can’t justify keeping it when I’ve also got the hsbc premium card.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by britbronco22
I’ve triggered my voucher and planning to cancel before the next £20 is due at the end of this month. How easy is it to cancel? After cancelling do the accrued points transfer across without any issues?
I’ve not had any problems with the card (apart from the frustration of no Google pay), but I can’t justify keeping it when I’ve also got the hsbc premium card.
I’m not sure but you could go in on the app and switch to the free card I think?
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by britbronco22
Cancelling via chat takes about five mins. The accrued points transfer over to BAEC post cancellation. The fools even refunded me £20 randomly, even though I had the card for nearly two months, so it was free!
britbronco22 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by lcylocal
I’m not sure but you could go in on the app and switch to the free card I think?
The app does not offer me any change options, although maybe that's because I am still in my 1st month.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by lcylocal
I’d rather just cancel. No point keeping the card if it won’t be used and I’d rather start the clock towards another sign up bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.