Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2022, 6:42 am
Original Member

I perhaps should have done more research (and more fully read thru this thread).

I tried to book a flight yesterday with the upgrade voucher online. Wanted Glasgow to London and then out to the USA. The website forces you to search for either premium economy flights or economy flights to then upgrade. Unfortunately if you include sectors with different cabin configurations ie one with PE the other without, then the system isn’t bright enough to show you one with upgrade from PE and the other from economy, even when the domestic leg is “free” with Avios anyway.

I had to book just the long haul sector and phone up so they could add the domestic leg. No service fee for doing this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Tim_T yep the BA website (and general IT) is pretty poor when dealing with domestic connections - I pretty much always end up just calling as it never seems to handle it properly!
Old Sep 3, 2022, 7:41 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Tim_T yep the BA website (and general IT) is pretty poor when dealing with domestic connections - I pretty much always end up just calling as it never seems to handle it properly!
yeah, already used to these types of issues. I guess I was expecting it to work like the Amex 241 voucher which generally does work ok.

I had a frustrating evening trying to book flights. Needed three seats using a combination of Barclays and Amex 241 voucher. Tried to book the Barclays seat first as in theory the Amex would give me more availability. Couldn’t book the domestic leg so ended up just booking the LH to SFO. Then went to book the other two seats. I included the domestic legs for this but when I got thru and entered payment details it failed to process and then showed no seats. I assume someone had pinched them whilst it was processing.

So I had to phone today. Cancel the Barclays one as I was within the 24hrs cooling off period. Then whilst on the phone I booked the 241 and Barclays one for the later flight (which I didn’t want as it’s the old seat on a A380 but it’s all I could do). Then the phone agent added on the domestic leg to the Barclays booking.

off course, the Barclays is a separate booking so I can’t reserve seats for free as a low silver holder.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 9:57 am

What a hassle! You should still get free seat selection at time of booking as Silver though?
Old Sep 3, 2022, 1:29 pm
Original Member

Only when the same booking reference, need gold to be able to select seats for someone on a different reference
Old Sep 3, 2022, 1:33 pm

Ah OK - didn't even know you could do that as Gold!
Tim_T likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 6:29 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by i.am.lost
Has anyone tried / verified if it works via Curve Fronted to pay off Amex, and if there are any charges for doing this besides Curve’s?
+1 would also like to know if anyone has had recent success using Curve Fronted with this card (to get back on-topic with the thread!) - any insight from the community on this? Tempted by Curve fronted for upcoming HMRC bills, but don’t want to waste £15/mo on nothing for Curve Metal, if the Barclaycard Avios cards charge extra fees or don’t class Curve Fronted as points-earning spend.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
I have to say the Barclaycard app is a shambles.

sometimes doesn’t let you pay as you have to guess the amount it will accept. It’s so slow to update after payments are made and the target spend calculator gets updated god know when.

Amex app can do it right so why can’t this bunch achieve it!
Old Sep 10, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I still don't understand why it can't work on Google Pay...
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by aristoph
Has anyone managed to downgrade to the standard card from the £20 a month model? I've just hit my £10k spend and am done for now. The app is saying no other card options available to me.
Yup, just tried it now, and seems to have worked. The free card was the only option to change to, and the app gave me a confirmation message. Try again and see how you get on.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 2:29 am

Does anyone have issues getting the card details from the Barclaycard app? I recently switched to the free version (from Plat.) and my card hasn't arrived (1 week and counting) but have flights I need to book. I have it in Apple Pay but I can't pay through Apple Pay so need the card details. Did anyone else have this issue?
Old Sep 12, 2022, 3:26 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
You can't view the full card details in the app. They aren't that advanced.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
Yup, just tried it now, and seems to have worked. The free card was the only option to change to, and the app gave me a confirmation message. Try again and see how you get on.
Reported on another website thread that you need to wait until your third statement hits, then you can downgrade to free card via the app. Seemed to be the case for me.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I’ve just cancelled via chat. Hit the voucher and the bonus, so couldn’t justify keeping it as well as the HSBC WE card. They refunded my last £20 fee even though I was already 3/4 of the way through the month. Hopefully there will be a decent bonus still in 2 years time or whenever it is I will be eligible again.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: Avios, Virgin, IHG
Hi,

We’re just about to hit the 3k spend and hopefully get the 50k bonus. (2 x 25k reading previous posts)

Would you advise to wait until the miles are credited before cancelling? Not sure how good Barclaycard are getting things right compared to Amex. I was more than happy to pay the £60 for 3 months for the miles, just not sure on the dates between the fee and the miles credit.

I’ll look to downgrade the card afterwards to keep as a non Amex Avios earner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.