Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
BA at Manchester

MAN airport website for BA info (including security wait times): https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/...itish-airways/

Terminal and check-in desks:

All BA flights depart and arrive at Terminal 3.

Departure:

Fast Track security is available, subject to usual BA rules. It works pretty well most of the time, but do check before you join the fast track lane if it's a single lane to avoid taking longer in fast track than in the normal lanes.

According to the airport, the following retail and food offerings are available in Terminal 3: World Duty Free, KFC, Lion & Antelope, Costa, WHSmith, Boots, The Nook, Kiosco and Pork & Pickle

Lounges:

The Escape Lounge in T3 is available for BA passengers. As with the previous arrangement at T3, we assume Escape will allow access along usual BA eligibility rules (class of travel and / or status), including 2 guests for GGL and Premier cardholders. The lounge is open from 04:00 and closes at 19:45 each day except Saturdays when it will close at 17:30.

Gates:

Flights typically depart from from Gate 142 or 143.

Boarding is generally prioritised by Groups.

Arrivals:

Flights land at Terminal 3. Travelex and WHSmith will be open in Terminal 3 Arrivals.

Flights tend to arrive at Gates 142 or 143, with an airbridge to the terminal. There is a flight of steps down to ground level once in the terminal.
Baggage collection is at Terminal 3
Print Wikipost

BA experience at Manchester

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
So what’s going to happen to the old BA T3 lounge? BA have enough daily flights to warrant staffing their own lounge instead of paying a third party but I expect it comes down to overall cost and not customer experience.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
So what’s going to happen to the old BA T3 lounge? BA have enough daily flights to warrant staffing their own lounge instead of paying a third party but I expect it comes down to overall cost and not customer experience.
It has been closed and gutted and (I imagine) handed back to the airport. Whether they'll expand another lounge into that space is obviously up to MAG. BA is rumoured to be moving to T2 once the next phase of that project is complete. That's on hold for now and it may be a few years before it restarts. It's possible that there could be a Oneworld lounge there - between 6x BA flights, 1x IB, 3x QR, 2x AY and 1x CX they could probably fill it.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
I fly from MAN to LHR at 620 tomorrow, hand luggage only and checked in already. Any suggestions on the time I need to arrive at Fast Track security to get to the gate in time?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
You exit out of T3, BA used the 142/143 gates they used to use prior to covid. You go downstairs and exit out of the domestic baggage hall and out of T3.

To go back airside you would have to walk back around to T1, through security, and then once airside back across to T3 to board at 142/143.

I would not recommend a b2b at MAN.
The last time I arrived at MAN, there was a Menzies agent at the podium at the point you step off the jetbridge into the terminal and turn right to go down the stairs. The guy in front of me presented himself to the agent to explain he was doing a B2B and ask them to hold the return if he wasn’t back in time… then was released directly back into the terminal on showing BP and ID. I would never recommend doing it (and especially not relying on it!), but I thought it was both an odd and an interesting observation in any case. If it failed and you had to walk, it would be easy to miss the flight back. It’s not a short walk.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:45 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Simonp27
I fly from MAN to LHR at 620 tomorrow, hand luggage only and checked in already. Any suggestions on the time I need to arrive at Fast Track security to get to the gate in time?
So arriving at the airport at 4.10 gets you through by 4.30am, security still making a meal of things even with 3 or 4 people in front me in the queue. Laptop bag pulled and checked for the first time in about 20 flights, same contents as always.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
With thanks to rjn21 for his experience earlier up the thread, I deployed his 3 tray system to avoid any potential secondary screening this morning - flying hand baggage only to the US for a few days so a bit more with me than usual trips. Arrived 0430 for the 0600 BA1371.

Tray 1 - coat, jumper, shoes, belt and watch.
Tray 2 - zip lock bag of chargers and cables, liquids, phone and camera and lenses.
Tray 3 - bag
​​​
It worked, even had the security lady commenting that I don't need to unpack everything!

The staff seemed OK this morning, there was no barking orders. Only issue was when I arrived at the priority check booth, there was a couple in front of me messing with paper boarding passes, so the lady gestured to the 3 of us waiting to come the other side of her. Again, on hindsight - using others observations on here - the priority queue saved me no time compared to the usual queues.

Last edited by LancashireFlyer; Jan 19, 2022 at 10:26 pm
Old Jan 19, 2022, 11:15 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by LancashireFlyer
With thanks to rjn21 for his experience earlier up the thread, I deployed his 3 tray system to avoid any potential secondary screening this morning - flying hand baggage only to the US for a few days so a bit more with me than usual trips. Arrived 0430 for the 0600 BA1371.

Tray 1 - coat, jumper, shoes, belt and watch.
Tray 2 - zip lock bag of chargers and cables, liquids, phone and camera and lenses.
Tray 3 - bag
​​​
It worked, even had the security lady commenting that I don't need to unpack everything!

The staff seemed OK this morning, there was no barking orders. Only issue was when I arrived at the priority check booth, there was a couple in front of me messing with paper boarding passes, so the lady gestured to the 3 of us waiting to come the other side of her. Again, on hindsight - using others observations on here - the priority queue saved me no time compared to the usual queues.
Unfortunately , some of the staff make you put stuff back in the bag if you do this

#onlyatMAN
LancashireFlyer and champus like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 1:41 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by LancashireFlyer

Ha ha yes my experience exactly. I tend to unpack anything which could cause any issue whatsoever - quite often I then get told that I don't need to do that - I just pleasantly say "oh, ok, thank you" and move on 😁
Mr Silver K likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 1:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Ha ha yes my experience exactly. I tend to unpack anything which could cause any issue whatsoever - quite often I then get told that I don't need to do that - I just pleasantly say "oh, ok, thank you" and move on 😁
Yes, that's my approach too. I was once commended for being very organised...
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 6:44 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Simonp27
My last two trips through MAN Sec (FastTrack) I left the Uber and was airside in 11 minutes and 13 minutes respectively.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 1:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
My last two trips through MAN Sec (FastTrack) I left the Uber and was airside in 11 minutes and 13 minutes respectively.
But I wouldn't bet the house on it occurring a third time...
Old Jan 22, 2022, 3:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Grace B
But I wouldn't bet the house on it occurring a third time...
I managed drop off to airside today in under 8 minutes on Friday morning (yesterday). I was very pleasantly surprised. The airport was quiet and the Emirates and Etihad checkin had not opened- there were long queues of pax waiting for checkin to open.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There are rumours that T3 may re-open this summer, possibly by March/April.

This would mean back to check in and security at T3 rather than T1 currently. I assume that the Escape in T3 would re-open and BA would use it, but I guess we will have to see on that, otherwise it would be a bit of a trek across to T1 to use the lounges there before coming back to T3 to board.
ThatT1Feeling and MaxFlyer like this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
There are rumours that T3 may re-open this summer, possibly by March/April.

This would mean back to check in and security at T3 rather than T1 currently. I assume that the Escape in T3 would re-open and BA would use it, but I guess we will have to see on that, otherwise it would be a bit of a trek across to T1 to use the lounges there before coming back to T3 to board.
Various sources are saying T3 will be open for the summer schedule but nothing official as of yet.

There is work currently underway in what was the BA lounge, although no details as of yet what the work is for. One assumes the BA customers would avail themselves of the Escape lounge in T3 when it re-opens as access to the T1 lounges will be closed off once more. No details either on the 1903 lounge, as the biggest user KL/AF are now relocated to T2.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I managed drop off to airside today in under 8 minutes on Friday morning (yesterday). I was very pleasantly surprised. The airport was quiet and the Emirates and Etihad checkin had not opened- there were long queues of pax waiting for checkin to open.

What time in the morning was this, Tobias? I'll be there at around 4am on a Friday morning in a few weeks. Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.