Old Aug 23, 2021, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
BA at Manchester

MAN airport website for BA info (including security wait times): https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/...itish-airways/

Terminal and check-in desks:

All BA flights depart and arrive at Terminal 3.

Departure:

Fast Track security is available, subject to usual BA rules. It works pretty well most of the time, but do check before you join the fast track lane if it's a single lane to avoid taking longer in fast track than in the normal lanes.

According to the airport, the following retail and food offerings are available in Terminal 3: World Duty Free, KFC, Lion & Antelope, Costa, WHSmith, Boots, The Nook, Kiosco and Pork & Pickle

Lounges:

The Escape Lounge in T3 is available for BA passengers. As with the previous arrangement at T3, we assume Escape will allow access along usual BA eligibility rules (class of travel and / or status), including 2 guests for GGL and Premier cardholders. The lounge is open from 04:00 and closes at 19:45 each day except Saturdays when it will close at 17:30.

Gates:

Flights typically depart from from Gate 142 or 143.

Boarding is generally prioritised by Groups.

Arrivals:

Flights land at Terminal 3. Travelex and WHSmith will be open in Terminal 3 Arrivals.

Flights tend to arrive at Gates 142 or 143, with an airbridge to the terminal. There is a flight of steps down to ground level once in the terminal.
Baggage collection is at Terminal 3
Print Wikipost

BA experience at Manchester

Old Dec 21, 2021, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by RedDevil83
Anyone with the misfortune of having to fly out this hellhole in the coming days, be warned, it’s reached levels beyond disgrace. Yesterday and today the security queues in T1 are running around 3hrs+, and yes that’s not a typo.
Originally Posted by icebird
For info if anyone is travelling in the afternoon from MAN. Check in does not open until 2.5 hrs before the flight (14:40 for the 17:10) so not much point in arriving super early.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Really wish BA would return to LBA.
KARFA, Gastrocnemius and S_W_S like this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skipness1E
Surely all of this comes from the Head of Security at MAN. I had one yell at me for trying to drink the last of my confiscated forgotten water in case it was exploding water. No, really, he did say I could be trying to blow myself us as the dangerous plastic bottle went into a random bin. He also did say they did things the Manchester way which was better than DfT. That's the sort of thing that's come down from senior leaders. They don't care about the customer experience, there's a real fear, worry that hundreds will die. The fact that the rest of the planet is held to the same standard without the aggro doesn't even register. Perhaps they have a zero tolerance to missed items and one mistake means no rent and hungry kids?
I think that this sums up where they've gone very wrong. 10 years ago the security staff were pleasant (I was flying through T1 every week) and I was car to lounge / Starbucks in 10 mins. The rules were consistent and they were not made up on the spot. I don't know if there was an equivalent of a security test and they failed it badly, as the last few times I've gone through there they do seem to have lots of made up rules and an awful lot of secondary bag screening. This in turn causes delays in security and causes what appears to be a shortage of staff. I turn it means less time shopping less money etc.

I do wonder how much they've stopped investing due to the whole T2 expansion? It does appear that they haven't spent anything on anything other than that.

T
Old Dec 21, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Manchester airport is run by the council - what more do I need to say
Old Dec 21, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Unless your are HBO
Thats true. Or a destination where VeriFLY doesn’t work and they insist on seeing Covid paperwork.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Manchester airport is run by the council - what more do I need to say
[Pedant]They hold an equal 35.5% share along with IFM Investors (Aussie Fund), with the remaining 29% held by the 9 Greater Manchester Councils[pedant/]

What could go wrong?
Old Dec 21, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bhbloke
[Pedant]They hold an equal 35.5% share along with IFM Investors (Aussie Fund), with the remaining 29% held by the 9 Greater Manchester Councils[pedant/]

What could go wrong?
Everything with Andy Burnham in charge
Silver Fox, CHESHLAD and bhbloke like this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
I NEVER have problems at MAN Airport Security (Any More)

I've had multiple run ins with security at MAN and they are a bunch of incompetent jobs worths. I told the senior desk manager this, to his face, one day and he told me .... ' say that again, and I'll show you how incompetent we are' :O At the time, my 1/2 emptied bag was sent to secondary, and was approx. number +/- 25 in the queue ! AND, after inspection I asked them 'nicely' what was the reason for secondary, and they told me they couldn't tell me ..... ... ?

So, why don't I have problems any more ? simple, EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING gets dumped out of my bag; laptop, ipad, iphone, 2-3 power adapters, 20+ cables, .... EVERYTHING and they NEVER pull my bag to secondary. It's a pain in the arse, but it accomplishes my mission of being in security for as little time as possible.

I miss my run ins with those incompetent jobs worths, but my time through security is now bearable.

Here's my Google review from a couple of years ago ...
Old Dec 27, 2021, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Out of interest, I'm flying from MAN in a few weeks on the 0600 departure. Can I check in the evening before, as I'm staying in a hotel? I know I could online check in, but wondered if I can physically check in. Going to the US via LHR so hopefully VeriFly will be useful, and hand baggage only.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Genuine question, do they have rubbish xray scanners? I mean legal to DfT regs but just a bit less than stellar?
Hence the arse covering approach.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 1:42 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

As I’ve said many times, the people who have issues are the regular flyers who assume that “take all electronics out of your bag” does not apply to them. You may not agree - but don’t then complain when you get a secondary search when you leave your phone / charger / toothbrush in you bag.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 3:15 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by skipness1E
Genuine question, do they have rubbish xray scanners? I mean legal to DfT regs but just a bit less than stellar?
Hence the arse covering approach.
The whole system was "experimental" when they bought it.

One of the issues is that if the machine cannot read the code on the tray, it is automatically rejected- no override by the operators is allowed. So when your bag is rejected for no reason, you now know why
skipness1E likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 4:20 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
One of the issues is that if the machine cannot read the code on the tray, it is automatically rejected- no override by the operators is allowed. So when your bag is rejected for no reason, you now know why
Which code is that? Is it embedded somewhere?
Old Dec 27, 2021, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by bhbloke
I used to (pre-Covid) go up to Manchester once a month to meet some mates, have a few hours of Squash on a Saturday afternoon followed by a night out.

Manchester security decided my squash racquet was a dangerous weapon and confiscated it (LHR didn't view it as such on the way up there) so ever since it's been the train for me. They make up rules as they go, and then are very unpleasant and confrontational when you question their latest made-up rule.
Ridiculous. Anyone can inflict just as much physical hurt using a laptop as a squash racquet...
Old Dec 27, 2021, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
As I’ve said many times, the people who have issues are the regular flyers who assume that “take all electronics out of your bag” does not apply to them. You may not agree - but don’t then complain when you get a secondary search when you leave your phone / charger / toothbrush in you bag.
It's not intuitive that a charger is considered "electronics". All my chargers are in a separate toiletry bag, and I've never had to spill them out in any airports so far. Which is the point of many people in the forum, that the MAN airport folks make up their rules.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Agreed. I’m a regular at MAN and never have my bag sent for search. For the simple reason that I’ve worked out exactly what does and does not trigger it, and for everything that does, I put it in a separate tray. I even get a smile from the agents when they realise I know when I’m doing and they don’t have to bark at me any more. Very little sympathy with those who think they should be special.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.