Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
BA at Manchester

MAN airport website for BA info (including security wait times): https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/...itish-airways/

Terminal and check-in desks:

All BA flights depart and arrive at Terminal 3.

Departure:

Fast Track security is available, subject to usual BA rules. It works pretty well most of the time, but do check before you join the fast track lane if it's a single lane to avoid taking longer in fast track than in the normal lanes.

According to the airport, the following retail and food offerings are available in Terminal 3: World Duty Free, KFC, Lion & Antelope, Costa, WHSmith, Boots, The Nook, Kiosco and Pork & Pickle

Lounges:

The Escape Lounge in T3 is available for BA passengers. As with the previous arrangement at T3, we assume Escape will allow access along usual BA eligibility rules (class of travel and / or status), including 2 guests for GGL and Premier cardholders. The lounge is open from 04:00 and closes at 19:45 each day except Saturdays when it will close at 17:30.

Gates:

Flights typically depart from from Gate 142 or 143.

Boarding is generally prioritised by Groups.

Arrivals:

Flights land at Terminal 3. Travelex and WHSmith will be open in Terminal 3 Arrivals.

Flights tend to arrive at Gates 142 or 143, with an airbridge to the terminal. There is a flight of steps down to ground level once in the terminal.
Baggage collection is at Terminal 3
Print Wikipost

BA experience at Manchester

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:28 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Maybe the passenger thought that a short flight would be okay and help him get over his fear of flying. Maybe he was trying this ahead of a family holiday on a much longer flight.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Rachael4792
Out of curiosity was anyone here on the BA1389 out of Manchester on 25/01/24 ?
As we were about to push back a passenger towards the rear of the plane darted to the front proclaiming they needed to get off. Was quite a surreal experience as I've never had anything like this happen before. .
Perhaps they wanted to experience again the very special warmth of the welcome you get at T3.
Rachael4792 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Data point from today (Monday 5th Feb).

Booked on the BA1399 (1450 MAN-LHR). Travelling with luggage so didn't do online checkin. BA says checkin opens 2h30 before flight (so 1220). Airport staff flitting around the desks loading up computers, messing with tags and labels. Chatting.

Started processing passengers about 1243, but called passengers from the general check in line before the Priority queue, until the girl who was doing the Priority check in was ready.

Security though was a breeze, absolutely no queues at all. In and out.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 10:23 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by LancashireFlyer
Data point from today (Monday 5th Feb).

Booked on the BA1399 (1450 MAN-LHR). Travelling with luggage so didn't do online checkin. BA says checkin opens 2h30 before flight (so 1220). Airport staff flitting around the desks loading up computers, messing with tags and labels. Chatting.
Started processing passengers about 1243, but called passengers from the general check in line before the Priority queue, until the girl who was doing the Priority check in was ready.
Security though was a breeze, absolutely no queues at all. In and out.
IIRC I thought it was 2 hours at MAN? Was for my last flight from there back in October. If so then I need to get there at 05:00 for the 07:30 to LHR (and beyond) flight in a few weeks time. Yikes! I like my shuteye in the mornings!

PS Good news about the security queue.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Doesn't anyone know when the Priority Pass lounge (i.e. the 'other' Escape Lounge) in T3 is open as I believe it's seasonal opening?

Travelled out of T3 with BA in J the other Saturday early and it was rammed. Flying out with Ryanair in a few weeks on a Saturday at the same time and don't fancy my chances armed only with my PP card.

It does look like it can be reserved for £6 each, however if the PP Escape Lounge is open I've never seen that busy. It's a party of 4.

Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2024, 5:23 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by MrGatch
Doesn't anyone know when the Priority Pass lounge (i.e. the 'other' Escape Lounge) in T3 is open as I believe it's seasonal opening?

Travelled out of T3 with BA in J the other Saturday early and it was rammed. Flying out with Ryanair in a few weeks on a Saturday at the same time and don't fancy my chances armed only with my PP card.

It does look like it can be reserved for £6 each, however if the PP Escape Lounge is open I've never seen that busy. It's a party of 4.

Thanks!
I believe it's open between April and October. Closes at 4pm most days, mind.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Possibly my worst experience at Manchester Airport on Friday. The Escape Lounge has often attracted a (usually small) group of passengers intent on getting drunk before 9am. I went into the lounge toilets around 9.30am and there were a group of drunk young lads in the area outside the toilets and on entering the toilet one of them was urinating into the sink.

If Sean Doyle or anyone from British Airways is reading this, I would welcome your comments on the Manchester experience... I suspect you would not see this in the Emirates or Qatar lounges?
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Gold/Hilton Diamond
That is what you get when you mix people travelling for business / leisure in premium cabins (who have usually paid extra for a nicer environment) with the Ryanair On The Beach free lounge crowd who are of the mindset that they want to get trashed as quickly as possible, “lads lads lads” and so on.

I might get drummed out of the secret society for this comment, but I have found it absolutely the case that if I fly TUI there is a chance of mooks being on board, if I fly Ryanair there is definitely a chance of mooks being on board, and the same with Jet2 and easyJet. In my time flying with BA I have never once come across somebody behaving loudly/outwardly drunkedly/ disruptive; that doesn’t mean it never happens but I think the chances are far far lower, particularly when flying in Club.

People who pay Waitrose prices want a Waitrose environment and service. All that is happening is we are paying for Waitrose and getting Iceland.

You can all tell me what an awful person I am now. Tough

P.S. I am flying to a holiday destination from Gatwick with BA in the spring. I hope I am not back here to eat my words!!!
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:11 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
CMiM you are not awful... just a normal human being. Sadly those 'lads' you describe are not!
ademanuele likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ademanuele
If Sean Doyle or anyone from British Airways is reading this, I would welcome your comments on the Manchester experience... I suspect you would not see this in the Emirates or Qatar lounges?
If the same "lads" had been on EK or QR, then I'd fully expect them to behave in the same way. Scumbags are scumbags whichever airline they are on.

From what I remember of the Escape lounge toilets, there is only one cubicle. No doubt there were a few in there doing coke whilst the others waited their turn.
LancashireFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Gold/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
If the same "lads" had been on EK or QR, then I'd fully expect them to behave in the same way. Scumbags are scumbags whichever airline they are on.

From what I remember of the Escape lounge toilets, there is only one cubicle. No doubt there were a few in there doing coke whilst the others waited their turn.
It is highly unlikely they'd be in the lounge, however.
ademanuele likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by ademanuele
Possibly my worst experience at Manchester Airport on Friday. The Escape Lounge has often attracted a (usually small) group of passengers intent on getting drunk before 9am. I went into the lounge toilets around 9.30am and there were a group of drunk young lads in the area outside the toilets and on entering the toilet one of them was urinating into the sink.

On a straightforward 'what's on offer' level, I think Escape is a perfectly fine outstation lounge but I'd agree the lack of anywhere quiet is a problem. I was in a few weeks ago and had to do an hour or two of work before my flight - it was really hard to concentrate because the vibe was of a noisy City Centre bar - not actively unpleasant but not terribly useful for work.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC
Slightly off topic, but took 40 minutes to get through fast track at T1 yesterday when flying EZY. Fast track there has been moved to a single lane in a corner which can only handle one passenger at a time. 20 mins to the front of the queue, then 20 mins waiting for my bag to be retrieved from secondary (where it had gone for no reason at all) by the astonishingly slow staff. The rejection rate was 40% according to the screens.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 5:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Never Stansted
Slightly off topic, but took 40 minutes to get through fast track at T1 yesterday when flying EZY. Fast track there has been moved to a single lane in a corner which can only handle one passenger at a time. 20 mins to the front of the queue, then 20 mins waiting for my bag to be retrieved from secondary (where it had gone for no reason at all) by the astonishingly slow staff. The rejection rate was 40% according to the screens.
I'll be going through T1 on Saturday, so I'm interested in where FastTrack has been moved to. Is it still in the same entrance to normal security? If so, what have they done to make it a single passenger at a time?
Old Feb 26, 2024, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I'll be going through T1 on Saturday, so I'm interested in where FastTrack has been moved to. Is it still in the same entrance to normal security? If so, what have they done to make it a single passenger at a time?
It’s been moved to a door behind the easyJet gates on the left hand side of the main check-in hall. It leads to a single dedicated lane, but the design is such that only one of the bays in the lane is accessible (the other bays just have backed up bags). The area used to have two lanes (lanes 13 and 14) but it looks like 14 was removed at some point.

It was hard to see how bad standard track was but I think next time I’ll risk it as the fast track lane is so badly designed that it seems almost inevitable it will seize up as soon as a few passengers arrive.
DYKWIA and BA or bust like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.