Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
BA at Manchester

MAN airport website for BA info (including security wait times): https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/...itish-airways/

Terminal and check-in desks:

All BA flights depart and arrive at Terminal 3.

Departure:

Fast Track security is available, subject to usual BA rules. It works pretty well most of the time, but do check before you join the fast track lane if it's a single lane to avoid taking longer in fast track than in the normal lanes.

According to the airport, the following retail and food offerings are available in Terminal 3: World Duty Free, KFC, Lion & Antelope, Costa, WHSmith, Boots, The Nook, Kiosco and Pork & Pickle

Lounges:

The Escape Lounge in T3 is available for BA passengers. As with the previous arrangement at T3, we assume Escape will allow access along usual BA eligibility rules (class of travel and / or status), including 2 guests for GGL and Premier cardholders. The lounge is open from 04:00 and closes at 19:45 each day except Saturdays when it will close at 17:30.

Gates:

Flights typically depart from from Gate 142 or 143.

Boarding is generally prioritised by Groups.

Arrivals:

Flights land at Terminal 3. Travelex and WHSmith will be open in Terminal 3 Arrivals.

Flights tend to arrive at Gates 142 or 143, with an airbridge to the terminal. There is a flight of steps down to ground level once in the terminal.
Baggage collection is at Terminal 3
Print Wikipost

BA experience at Manchester

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2024, 2:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by NorthernLass
O'Leary will be giddy at the prospect of having his own terminal! I wonder if he'll come up with any chargeable add-ons for it? That said, I have no issues with Ryanair, as noted they can be much cheaper than BA, the exit row seats have the most leg room I've ever encountered on an economy flight (and on my last 2, cost a very reasonable 11 each to select), and they are rarely delayed (again, unlike BA). I flew to France and back for 32 before Xmas, to an airport BA doesn't serve so no incentive not to choose LCC.

Also a Ryanair flight to TFS in 2021 marked the end of Covid travel restrictions for us, so it will forever have a place in my heart. 600 for 4 of us, exit rows, 2 bags each, 2/3rds empty plane, in August, we will never see the like again!
Still some cheap FR prices out of MAN, especially if HBO.

MAN-GOT Mon 27th May....only 313.51!
Go on the 30th May and 12.99. That's cheaper than last time I got a taxi from the station to Hale about 3 miles away

One future flight I'm looking at from VIE-MAN, economy, similar arrival times:
FR 14:40 - 16:10 priority and 2 cabin bags, exit row seat, 20kg check-in bag €78.48 / 68 (or around 18 if I want a small bag and the risk of a middle seat for 2hrs+)
BA 11:15 - 16:05 economy plus €404 / 347

Even with MAN's failings, I could tolerate things like that. Nearly always travel HBO into MAN anyway so no waiting 15-30 mins for bags (and can avoid a bus / tube/ HEX ride + security again at LHR). Last time I waited for a bag after a MAN-LHR flight, the bags took longer than the flight and half the return

I normally walk outside from the station to T3 if the weather is good. Saves a few minutes especially as most lifts in T1 are being hand cranked I suspect

The walkways between T2 and the station. No idea exactly what they're doing, but they seem to be doing something travelator wise from what I've seen when the doors are open. At present rate, the first one should be constructed sometime next century.
Don't really see the point in stepping one, stepping off, stepping on another etc.
Nice 5-10 min walk.
flarmip likes this.

Last edited by xenole; May 14, 2024 at 2:27 pm
Old May 14, 2024, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ramsey_lp
My previous experience at Manchester was the screens displaying final call when boarding hadnt even commenced. Today was a different calamity. The screens in the lounge and airport said Go to Gate. They still said that when I arrived at Gate 143 only to be startled to find everyone had boarded past the gate at 820am. I advised the gate agent who apologised and hurriedly went on her PC to change the displays (Im presuming to skip boarding and straight to final call).
Yes we had that experience last time we flew from MAN, except the gate agent was rather sarcastic in declaring our bags could now be put back on (they hadn't come off - holds were closed) and took a rather surly attitude. We had been in the lounge, looking at the screen that said "Go to Gate", it got to gate closing time and thought we'd better make a move with no delay showing.

I pointed out what the screens were saying and the reply was "It's a silent airport - although we did make several announcements".

I mentioned we were in the lounge checking the screens, if they'd said boarding, we'd have been there sooner. There was no apology.
Old May 14, 2024, 3:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Some issues with the screens are the airport's IT rather than the agent. They can change it to "boarding or end boarding" but it doesn't always change even though they change it multiple times.

I've said before that in T2 at least, the airport doesn't like agents doing final calls or name calls (well, local gate area only is fine, but not across the terminal)
They do the final calls at whatever pre-selected point (which often isn't in tune with the airline) and the agent can ring up TV for them to do name calls, but that's airline dependent. Most will do it, Ryanair no.
Boarding generally means "we want everyone at the gate so we're not looing for stragglers later and delaying boarding closure"

(Sometimes an agent may ring the passenger if a contact number is in their booking. Qatar definitely do that, especially if it's a business class passenger)
Old May 14, 2024, 10:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by kdhurst380
Yes we had that experience last time we flew from MAN, except the gate agent was rather sarcastic in declaring our bags could now be put back on (they hadn't come off - holds were closed) and took a rather surly attitude. We had been in the lounge, looking at the screen that said "Go to Gate", it got to gate closing time and thought we'd better make a move with no delay showing.

I pointed out what the screens were saying and the reply was "It's a silent airport - although we did make several announcements".

I mentioned we were in the lounge checking the screens, if they'd said boarding, we'd have been there sooner. There was no apology.
It's the surly agent that gets me. They're crap, because they're not set up to win. The working environment is crap, security is crap, their wages are crap, the terminal is crap, you get the idea. No one cares because no one cares. And in T3, that will never, cannot ever change. It's a Ryanair loco environment, and there's nothing wrong with that but STN makes MAN T3 look 3rd world by comparison. T3 is not fit for purpose for BA, MAG knows this and BA knows this, but no one cares enough to fix it. So no cares because no one cares.
I was through the new T2 last month, it's a different planet by comparison, and KLM / Air France are already in there. But no, it's MUCH too difficult to have a domestic channel.

I actually think someone at MAG hates BA for what they did to the MAN base and is just making them pay for it decades later.
Old May 15, 2024, 1:24 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by skipness1E
I actually think someone at MAG hates BA for what they did to the MAN base and is just making them pay for it decades later.
Or could it be that BA are such a bit-part player at MAN these days that the MAN management prefer to concentrate on their bigger customers?

Domestic passengers account for around 6% of the total. When you remove the other domestic carriers, that will probably mean BA are 2-3%.
Never Stansted likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by kdhurst380
Complain, it takes 2 minutes to fill in the form and you'll probably get 10000 Avios (50 at Sainsburys) for the effort.

Last edited by golfmad; May 20, 2024 at 7:37 am Reason: Replaced expletive with 'Avios'
Old May 15, 2024, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Slightly off topic, but concerns lack of info about MAN left luggage facilities. I CANNOT find much info...

June 4: I fly into MAN on TAP into T1. Want to leave a suitcase overnight at T1 or T3. Then ...
Overnight in MAN town. Then ...
June 5: Return to airport and collect bag from left luggage. Then from T3, fly BA 1389 @10:50 to LHR.

I need info on left luggage at MAN. I seem to find only info re: T1 and nothing else. Websites shown for T3 are useless as they have no airport location, only train station. Hah - why is that on the airport website?
Any advice wrt MAN left luggage would be appreciated. TIA.

Last edited by tmac100; May 16, 2024 at 2:39 am
Old May 16, 2024, 7:52 am

I have given up on trying to get left luggage help at MAN.
I also asked on TripAdvisor. And the info they gave was useless because nobody at the MAN lost/left luggage sites is answering the 'phone.
I will wing it when I fly into T1 and get my checked-in baggage - just like I did before there was the internet. 😉
Old May 16, 2024, 9:31 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by tmac100
Slightly off topic, but concerns lack of info about MAN left luggage facilities. I CANNOT find much info...

June 4: I fly into MAN on TAP into T1. Want to leave a suitcase overnight at T1 or T3. Then ...
Overnight in MAN town. Then ...
June 5: Return to airport and collect bag from left luggage. Then from T3, fly BA 1389 @10:50 to LHR.

I need info on left luggage at MAN. I seem to find only info re: T1 and nothing else. Websites shown for T3 are useless as they have no airport location, only train station. Hah - why is that on the airport website?
Any advice wrt MAN left luggage would be appreciated. TIA.
I'm so sorry, I read this yesterday when I was already at the departure gate in MAN T3 otherwise I'd have gone downstairs to check facilities in person.

marble35 you're regularly in MAN - any chance you could see if any left luggage facilities (I assume on ground floor) in MAN T3?

Other option might be to ask at one of the airport hotels REALLY nicely.
Old May 16, 2024, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I'm so sorry, I read this yesterday when I was already at the departure gate in MAN T3 otherwise I'd have gone downstairs to check facilities in person.

marble35 you're regularly in MAN - any chance you could see if any left luggage facilities (I assume on ground floor) in MAN T3?

Other option might be to ask at one of the airport hotels REALLY nicely.
Yes, I agree that NICELY is important,

However, it seems I will just "wing it" - but not like I did when I flew into SGN in June 1971. MAN is much more "sedate". 😉 And it does have "left luggage" somewhere, while in 1971 SGN didn't anywhere. Oh, and I was nice in SGN, then as well - especially to the US Army guards wondering why I, as a Canadian civilian wanted to be there voluntarily.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old May 16, 2024, 10:23 am

Programs: british airways
Originally Posted by xenole
Some issues with the screens are the airport's IT rather than the agent. They can change it to "boarding or end boarding" but it doesn't always change even though they change it multiple times.

I've said before that in T2 at least, the airport doesn't like agents doing final calls or name calls (well, local gate area only is fine, but not across the terminal)
They do the final calls at whatever pre-selected point (which often isn't in tune with the airline) and the agent can ring up TV for them to do name calls, but that's airline dependent. Most will do it, Ryanair no.
Boarding generally means "we want everyone at the gate so we're not looing for stragglers later and delaying boarding closure"

(Sometimes an agent may ring the passenger if a contact number is in their booking. Qatar definitely do that, especially if it's a business class passenger)
Interestingly I was at Liverpool last week and they seem to have adopted a new approach of announcements for missing passengers. Maybe as the airport is getting a lot busier. Can appreciate at MAN given the huge passenger volume this is probably impractical.
Old May 16, 2024, 10:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by tmac100
Yes, I agree that NICELY is important,

However, it seems I will just "wing it" - but not like I did when I flew into SGN in June 1971. MAN is much more "sedate". 😉 And it does have "left luggage" somewhere, while in 1971 SGN didn't anywhere. Oh, and I was nice in SGN, then as well - especially to the US Army guards wondering why I, as a Canadian civilian wanted to be there voluntarily.
I’ve never needed to store luggage at MAN but it appears there is a Left Luggage in T3 on the departures level (upstairs) opposite the main Ryanair check in desks. If you’ve not already seen it, have a look here: https://www.excess-baggage.com/our-locations.php
tmac100 likes this.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; May 16, 2024 at 11:08 am
Old May 16, 2024, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by skipness1E
It's the surly agent that gets me. They're crap, because they're not set up to win. The working environment is crap, security is crap, their wages are crap, the terminal is crap, you get the idea. No one cares because no one cares. And in T3, that will never, cannot ever change. It's a Ryanair loco environment, and there's nothing wrong with that but STN makes MAN T3 look 3rd world by comparison. T3 is not fit for purpose for BA, MAG knows this and BA knows this, but no one cares enough to fix it. So no cares because no one cares.
I was through the new T2 last month, it's a different planet by comparison, and KLM / Air France are already in there. But no, it's MUCH too difficult to have a domestic channel.

My understanding is that stands 209/210 when redeveloped in T2 will be Domestic capable, although not seen any official plans of yet, but this would suggest the future location of BA ops at MAN. Also, The entrance and check-in to T3 will be moving to T1 similar to what happened during Covid and renamed T3 departures.
MaxFlyer, Tobias-UK and skipness1E like this.
Old May 16, 2024, 10:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by wythy
Also, The entrance and check-in to T3 will be moving to T1 similar to what happened during Covid and renamed T3 departures.
So T3 will now use the T1 security? That'll be why the original plan to build a new security building at T3 has been scrapped.

I'm guessing some of the F&B outlets in T1 will also remain open... and maybe some lounges?
Old May 16, 2024, 2:17 pm

I'm always slightly nervous in T1 that the plastic Mercedes is going to fall down from the ceiling and refuse to sit near it. T1 means easyJet, so no lounge, as I don't think any lounge at MAN is worth paying for! The one and only time we did so was because it was right at the end of the pandemic and I felt it was worth the money to be able to sit at a table and therefore be allowed take my mask off. The food was dreadful (T1 Escape lounge) but continuously sipping a G & T fulfilled the requirement!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.