Old Aug 23, 2021, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
BA at Manchester

MAN airport website for BA info (including security wait times): https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/...itish-airways/

Terminal and check-in desks:

All BA flights depart and arrive at Terminal 3.

Departure:

Fast Track security is available, subject to usual BA rules. It works pretty well most of the time, but do check before you join the fast track lane if it's a single lane to avoid taking longer in fast track than in the normal lanes.

According to the airport, the following retail and food offerings are available in Terminal 3: World Duty Free, KFC, Lion & Antelope, Costa, WHSmith, Boots, The Nook, Kiosco and Pork & Pickle

Lounges:

The Escape Lounge in T3 is available for BA passengers. As with the previous arrangement at T3, we assume Escape will allow access along usual BA eligibility rules (class of travel and / or status), including 2 guests for GGL and Premier cardholders. The lounge is open from 04:00 and closes at 19:45 each day except Saturdays when it will close at 17:30.

Gates:

Flights typically depart from from Gate 142 or 143.

Boarding is generally prioritised by Groups.

Arrivals:

Flights land at Terminal 3. Travelex and WHSmith will be open in Terminal 3 Arrivals.

Flights tend to arrive at Gates 142 or 143, with an airbridge to the terminal. There is a flight of steps down to ground level once in the terminal.
Baggage collection is at Terminal 3
Print Wikipost

BA experience at Manchester

Old Jul 2, 2023, 5:57 pm

So very obvious question but I've not flown J out of MAN in a long time. The BA lounge is closed now right so what do they use?
Old Jul 2, 2023, 6:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diam, Avis PC, Hertz 5*, PP
Originally Posted by ekposh
So very obvious question but I've not flown J out of MAN in a long time. The BA lounge is closed now right so what do they use?
The non-cardholder Escape lounge - there's a separate Escape lounge with a different entrance, which is only for PriorityPass etc. cardholders and shuts at 4pm. There's a section at the back of the non-cardholder lounge that's sometimes dedicated to BA passengers.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 6:37 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ekposh
Its The Escape Lounge, youll find it right next door to the old BA Lounge, you will find the entrance to the right of the BA Lounge entrance.
ademanuele and KARFA like this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
I had an eventful time with BA1389 from MAN to LHR today.

My bag was pulled up by the scanner. When the security person got to me he apologised and said that there had been a fault with the equipment (I think a barcode issue with the tray). Bag was put through again and was on my way.

The flight was full and I was at the front of the line (Groups 1 to 3). There were a lot of wheelchairs boarding when all of a sudden several people appeared from the corridor behind and tried to board ahead of the people in wheelchairs. A few of us called out and pointed out that our Group had not been called, one person turned round and sheepishly claimed it had, when it clearly had not. Irrespective this passenger boarded ahead of three of the wheelchairs. A few of the other culprits tried to fob us off saying we all had a seat and we pointed out that there was a queue. Anyhow, we finally got on board, but I would like to call out the chap in the red polo shirt with white stripes in 3A, poor show, firstly for queue jumping, but also for boarding ahead of passengers in wheelchairs. If the moderator feels the post inappropriate then feel free to delete, maybe I am being a little sensitive!

Flight was further delayed by 44 minutes by a late passenger and another passenger with a medical issue. Grateful when we eventually arrived at LHR...

EDIT - forgot to mention, when I got to the Menzies chap who was scanning boarding passes I pointed out that the queue was not being managed, he said there was only two of them and shrugged his shoulders...
Old Jul 6, 2023, 11:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
I was asked twice, at the fast /non fast merger point to go to the PRM /child scanner queue. I declined twice, explaining it was for PRM and I was [much] happy[er] to use the normal scanner. Begrudgingly permitted to use the normal scanner. There were family groups waiting at the PRM queue rightly needing more time.

Todays random made-up scanning rule of the day? All bags must be placed side on in the tray.
I can only guess thats meant to make the image clearer as the scanner has less depth of bag to look through. My bag dimensions are such that putting it side on means there is more to look through. No secondary, so I dont care but another stupid seemingly random policy.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 2:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by rjn21
I was asked twice, at the fast /non fast merger point to go to the PRM /child scanner queue. I declined twice, explaining it was for PRM and I was [much] happy[er] to use the normal scanner. Begrudgingly permitted to use the normal scanner. There were family groups waiting at the PRM queue rightly needing more time.

Todays random made-up scanning rule of the day? All bags must be placed side on in the tray.
I can only guess thats meant to make the image clearer as the scanner has less depth of bag to look through. My bag dimensions are such that putting it side on means there is more to look through. No secondary, so I dont care but another stupid seemingly random policy.
Good decision, I have been moved in the past and often results in long delays, particularly if you are behind a family with several young children. Surprised they let you "decline", well done! I suspect scanners are the same, as you say, random rule of the day!
Old Jul 7, 2023, 2:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That's correct actually. the longest dimension should not be perpendicular to the plane. Applies everywhere.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 2:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's correct actually. the longest dimension should not be perpendicular to the plane. Applies everywhere.
I may be misunderstanding the rule / comment, or I may be unclear in my expression, but the orientation applied today was such that the longest dimension of the bag was in a vertical plane thus the scanner had the most depth possible to look through, rather than if the bag (a soft bag) had been placed normally (ie as if you were carrying it) onto the tray.

Ive never seen that specific orientation used.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 3:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Irather than if the bag (a soft bag) had been placed normally (ie as if you were carrying it) onto the tray.
A holdall like bag should be placed with its biggest surface area on the tray, so typically flipped sideways, with the base of the bag exposed.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
A holdall like bag should be placed with its biggest surface area on the tray, so typically flipped sideways, with the base of the bag exposed.
They sometimes ask you to unzip it and open the top up before it goes through, so it seems they often change their mind on the best way to get a decent scan.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Don't worry, in a few days time when the school holiday will start they will ask people to balance their bag in a corner. Also the air should be sucked out as well as it can alter the scan machine image. Pumping device stations will be set up soon where you can use a token purchased in T2 arrivals to suck the air out of your own bag. They will warn you that if your bag contains any amount of air you will be sent to a secondary screening in a vacuum chamber with all your belongings.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bhbloke
Thankfully no more MAN for me this year,🎉
Good for you. My life for next 3 years is 8 nights @ MAN, 13 nights @ JFK, rinse and repeat.
Luther.e likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Gold/Hilton Diamond
I have a BA codeshare ticket flying from T1 over to Belfast. Will I be allowed in the lounge as a silver card holder?
Old Jul 9, 2023, 4:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by CMiM
I have a BA codeshare ticket flying from T1 over to Belfast. Will I be allowed in the lounge as a silver card holder?
EDIT: Zapped incorrect info

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Jul 9, 2023 at 9:19 am
Old Jul 9, 2023, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Originally Posted by CMiM
Unfortunately not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.