Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2022, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Modo
Not on BA metal. But HKG - TPE return in Y then TPE KUL on MH in J could throw up some decent costs per point

IIRC HKG CGK in Y & J on CX could be decent too.
TPE - DPS on MH in J was another good one.
lsquare and Toto1808 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Modo
Not on BA metal. But HKG - TPE return in Y then TPE KUL on MH in J could throw up some decent costs per point

IIRC HKG CGK in Y & J on CX could be decent too.
Originally Posted by oxfordjames
TPE - DPS on MH in J was another good one.
How was HKG-TPE in Y a good deal? Generally, Y doesn't have a good £ to TP ratio.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
Today I booked BUD-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL and return in March ‘23 for £1350 (920TPs).

This replaces a similar trip that was cancelled in 2020.
I just booked BUD-LHR-AUS-DFW-HNL-DFW-JFK-LHR-BUD for £1,400 for February 2023.

I’ve done LAX-HNL on the A321S many times for TP runs so wanted to travel to HNL on a flat bed.
endoman, our_kid, Calchas and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:28 am

Any advice before I commit?

Cant seem to get it down to the £1350 level mentioned by other folks or to get it to work with a JFK stop to maximise TPs. Planning to go over Easter to limit annual leave days- this is a TP run but also a holiday

Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Banie
Cant seem to get it down to the £1350 level mentioned by other folks or to get it to work with a JFK stop to maximise TPs. Planning to go over Easter to limit annual leave days- this is a TP run but also a holiday

I’m not an expert on ITA but I think it’s because some sectors are booking into the higher J bucket instead of I.

I believe there’s a code you can add to the ITA search to force it to find I class. I may be wrong.
Toto1808 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You need to find those flights home with I class
Toto1808 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador

You need TATL in I class, J class on HNL-LAX-SFO flights here is irrelevant, try routing via MIA or BOS (Hawaii - LAX - MIA/BOS - LHR).
Toto1808 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 12:09 pm

Thank you MaxFlier, mikeyfly and megaloman
Working on that now
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If considering megaloman suggestion, do look at MIA-LAX on wide body 777 - a very comfy way to do this hop
MaxFlyer and Toto1808 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:38 pm

Programs: BAEC

I have a very similar itinerary the week before, though I will continuing on from PHX to LGB. A couple of suggestions/observation that I hope will help:
1) my BUD-LHR-HEL and return flights are all in J but are priced good as they are considered 'feeder flights' (so the agent told me at least), so I'd imagine in you're case it's the R fare that does not allow feeder rates
2) as for introducing HEL-JFK, you need to use the multi-city (or at least this was the only way I managed to get it working), so: BUD-HEL (via LHR) HEL-LGB (via JFK,PHX) and return

Best of luck with matrix!
Toto1808 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I just booked BUD-LHR-AUS-DFW-HNL-DFW-JFK-LHR-BUD for £1,400 for February 2023.

I’ve done LAX-HNL on the A321S many times for TP runs so wanted to travel to HNL on a flat bed.
Thanks- can you share the actual booking details. Have been trying similar but struggling to get it to stack up
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Thanks- can you share the actual booking details. Have been trying similar but struggling to get it to stack up
I couldn’t get it to work from GF to AA so I just went directly to the AA website and used the multi-city tool.

Outbound on a Friday with a Saturday night in HNL.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:57 am

Oh and due to flight times I’m having to overnight at DFW on the way out. Not ideal but as this is a TP run more than a holiday I don’t mind. Plus it gets me a good night’s sleep and a proper meal and shower. I’m also getting old so need it!
Old Jul 11, 2022, 8:25 am

Just a friendly reminder that if you have a cancellation / schedule change and use that to drop off your last leg of an ex-EU trip (using the change of gateway rule); don't forget to claim a refund for the taxes/fees on that leg once you've completed the trip. Took 3-4 weeks in the end and no response from BA, but 2x £25.13 dropped back onto my card for dropping LHR-CDG. Every little helps..... especially given as they stole 100 TP off me on the booking with a last minute 'voluntary' change of flights.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by AIKE
Thanks again to the help and advice offered by posters, this really is a fantastic forum.

Used the multi-city BA function last night to book and everything was going fantastic until...the e-receipt landed in my inbox and my AA-operated LAX-JFK flight had been popped into economy. It definitely said 'Business' at the stage before proceeding to payment. The payment then took an age to go through so I don't know if while it was processing Business became unavailable on that particular flight code.

I searched on ITA Matrix first thing this morning before the BA phone lines opened and Business was not an option on the BA flight code but it was on the AA flight code. Phoned BA to explain what happened to either cancel the booking (using the 24hr window rule) or re-book the trip again using the AA flight code. Agent said she couldn't use the AA code as it had to be a BA one or a codeshare. Not coming from a position of expertise, I wasn't able to argue back (she may be right for all I know!). I then requested her to cancel the booking - she then proceeded to do a hard sell not to explaining how AA internal domestic is "rubbish", and "I'm not even sure if the seats go flat" and how I won't get this trip for any cheaper. After politely instructing her to cancel and refund for the fourth or fifth time she did so. I thought that was a little unprofessional.

Following the call I went back onto ITA Matrix, used the Power Tool extension (thanks again for above poster's suggestion), then booked direct with AA online using my UK Amex but picking a random US State and zip code (California 90210 ) to force payment. Saved £400 compared to what I paid for via BA. Again, excellent info from this thread.

So I am now all booked and ready for my first taste of business class flights. My AA internal flights (AA300 and AA274) both on the Transcon service. Not sure if that qualifies as a 'Flagship' Business Ticket, I'm not sure if there are tiers to their business product. Both are I class tickets.

DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB all in Business for £1,571 return. I know there will be people on here that have flown for a lot cheaper, but that's blown my mind!
Update: Weird one here folks. Last month AA emailed me to see there had been a change and it was simply my LAX-JFK flight was departing an hour later, no issues.

However, I’ve went back in today to take a nosey at how filled up the Club World cabin is on my LHR-JFK flight and it is now not on my intinary.

It is AA6928 (BA115) 1 October departing 2.35pm

You can see it missing here below.

Can anyone more knowledgeable than me see if this flight is showing as cancelled?

I assume even on a restricted fare ticket a cancellation on one leg of a journey like this makes me eligible for a full refund if they cannot get me on another LHR-JFK flight on 1 October?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.