Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
just booked this on the BA website, with BA transatlantic - hoping to upgrade with GUF. Now I have realised they have alll expired!

Anyway - i think its the new club suites and i haven't flown long-haul in about 2yrs now, so really looking fwd to this. Renewal date is Feb - so i will need the TPs.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
I live in NCL. I’m looking for a weekend tier point run. I’ve found one this summer for £403 - NCL-LHR-HEL-LHR-NCL all in business, rather than £247 for LHR-HEL-LHR in business. Is £403 good value for 240 TPs or would it be better for me to position from NCL to LHR with Avios and then fly the £247 LHR-HEL return?
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
I live in NCL. I’m looking for a weekend tier point run. I’ve found one this summer for £403 - NCL-LHR-HEL-LHR-NCL all in business, rather than £247 for LHR-HEL-LHR in business. Is £403 good value for 240 TPs or would it be better for me to position from NCL to LHR with Avios and then fly the £247 LHR-HEL return?
I personally would go for it. You’re paying £156 for NCL-LHR return in business which would get you 80 TP and CE experience.

I suppose it also depends if you need the 80 TP or not.

I’m doing a similar trip from MAN.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I got EDI-LHR-SOF for about £335 CE Return for November, although that doesn't include the LHR hotel, as having to fly down on Friday night for an early start Saturday morning.

But another route to take a look at! (Replacing EDI with NCL obviously).
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Thanks for suggesting November - I looked for NCL-HEL for November dates and found a £365 itinerary with an overnight stay. That seems better to me!
MaxFlyer and stephenjc like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:30 pm

I'll need 200 TPs by November, I'm based in BER.

I was thinking of flying to LHR and doing a LHR-HEL run, but that doesn't get me to the full amount (assuming LHR-BER in cheapo Y), and it seems it's impossible to do a direct turnaround at HEL when wanting to fly A350.

Any suggestions ? I'm open to staying somewhere for few days if needed.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by klausa

I was thinking of flying to LHR and doing a LHR-HEL run, but that doesn't get me to the full amount (assuming LHR-BER in cheapo Y), and it seems it's impossible to do a direct turnaround at HEL when wanting to fly A350.

Any suggestions ? I'm open to staying somewhere for few days if needed.
Why don't you do exactly what you suggested yourself, however, do the following:
1. Buy return economy (or return CE if your budget allows) BER-LHR-BER and upgrade either way to CE via an online POAG or an Airport Upgrade or right from booking, choose one sector economy, one sector Club Europe
2. Connect onto AY flight (there are 2 long-haul flights a day, typically the 10.20 and 18.10 departures ex-LHR) and fly to HEL
3. Stay in HEL for a night, even the Hilton HEL Airport will do if you want minimal fuss
4. Next day, either the first departure ex-HEL or the 16:00 departure are the usual long-haul aircraft flights back to LHR
5. Fly back to BER on a flight after 19:00 (as HEL-LHR 16:00 usually lands at 17:00)

The above will earn you minimum 205 TPs (160 TPs for AY flights, then minimum 45 TPs for BA sectors on the assumption one way is cheapo Q class economy and one way is CE)

That should be you sorted and at a relatively reasonable price too! Do bear in mind that AY don't appear to be flying the new AirLounge seat much anymore to LHR from May onwards, I suspect this is largely due to the fact they've committed to flying the new cabins to JFK, SIN, DFW from May 11th onwards and they've only refurbished 2 x A330s and 3 (or 2, not 100% sure) x A350s with the new cabin and suspect utilisation of those will be heavily geared towards these 3 routes, with SIN and DFW being particularly lengthy sectors.

Hope this helps

Last edited by AirbusA350; Apr 20, 2022 at 5:50 pm
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
for the £247 LHR HEL rtn your are getting TPs for just over £1.50 each

the NCL LHR rtn would be less of a bargain, netting you 80TP at almost £2.00 each
Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:04 pm

Programs: EY Gold, AS MVPG, BAEC Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
for the £247 LHR HEL rtn your are getting TPs for just over £1.50 each

the NCL LHR rtn would be less of a bargain, netting you 80TP at almost £2.00 each
The way I look at it, you've got to factor in the cost of the overnight hotel in HEL and that effectively takes it to over £2/TP. Might as well do a day trip to HEL for a bit more, £270-ish and not worry about the hotel.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Originally Posted by klausa
BA will start the BER-LGW route soon and those segments are relatively cheap. You could also throw LUX into the mix due to the low prices per segment. A simple BER-LON Business return is around 300€ whereas other destinations like DUS or SOF (extra TP) are cheaper.
AirbusA350 et al mentioned the ticket nesting part. Check for cheap CE returns ex LHR and wrap it in a cheap BER return, potentially in Economy.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 11:23 pm

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
For which dates? All I can see on Google Flights is £1k+
Old Apr 21, 2022, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by DaveNCL
For which dates? All I can see on Google Flights is £1k+
You have to use Momondo to find these prices on TravelUp. GF will only show more expensive direct booking options.

Thanks for all the feedback - in the end I went for £365 NCL-LHR-HEL-LHR-NCL (weekend in November so no time off work) with an overnight stay and two legs on the AY A350. Couldn’t get there and back in one day from NCL so went for the next best option.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 12:46 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by RichieMc
In that example, the BA fare is significantly more. But if you play around with dates, you should get some BA availability. I was looking for BA as well as I need to burn some vouchers. I found some around Christmas and New Year.
I managed to book for February with BA. Looks like others are doing the same or the BUD are suddenly popular with Gold Members!
Old Apr 21, 2022, 1:42 am

AA routing changes

Hi all,

Current BAEC Gold. Going for first GGL given reduction this year. I booked a TP run in September via AA

01/09/22
DUB - LHR, LHR - JFK, JFK - SFO (15:55), SFO - LAX (20:28)

LAX - JFK, JFK - LHR, LHR - DUB

AA just changed ticket to JFK - LAX (15:30) direct outward, knocking out the SFO leg. No details on how to push back - any advice or am I going to have to call AA direct in the UK?

Original itinerary took me to 3640TPs so need all the TPs I can get!

Thanks
Old Apr 21, 2022, 2:23 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by LondonGlobalist
Hi all,

Current BAEC Gold. Going for first GGL given reduction this year. I booked a TP run in September via AA

01/09/22
DUB - LHR, LHR - JFK, JFK - SFO (15:55), SFO - LAX (20:28)

LAX - JFK, JFK - LHR, LHR - DUB

AA just changed ticket to JFK - LAX (15:30) direct outward, knocking out the SFO leg. No details on how to push back - any advice or am I going to have to call AA direct in the UK?

Original itinerary took me to 3640TPs so need all the TPs I can get!

Thanks
You can call AA in the UK - they are often unhelpful when you are adding TP segments though in my experience. Even if they were there in the first place. Have you checked that the flights still work. AA has been cutting a number of JFK-SFO/LAX flights. Make sure they don't put you on a JetBlue flight with an AA flight number as there are no Tier Points for that.
LondonGlobalist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.