Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2022, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Jonathan2712
Is there any disadvantage to booking a BA TPR on the AA site? AA is linked to Matrix so is easy to book with, and BA's call center isn't currently taking phone bookings? Thanks
I haven't done it in a while, but I believe it's mostly just that you don't get the extra points from using your BA Amex (if you have one).
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 6:21 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Jonathan2712
Is there any disadvantage to booking a BA TPR on the AA site? AA is linked to Matrix so is easy to book with, and BA's call center isn't currently taking phone bookings? Thanks
I think as a BA Gold you get a few more Avios when it's booked on a 125 stock ticket rather than 001. But as far as TPs go there's no difference.

Of course you also can't apply GUF vouchers or UUA on a 001 ticket so that's worth bearing in mind.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by RichieMc
I think I am about to book this. Pretty happy with the itinerary which took some work!! The outbound will get me the TPs I need for GGL, so I'm giving myself the treat of avoiding the usual LAX-JFK-LHR with a nice long TATL and a chance to blow an upgrade on the 787-10. Slightly nervous about the 26 minute connection in PHX and I'd rather sleep in PHX than JFK. But with HBO and the gates usually right next to eachother, I should be fine. I'm actually more annoyed about the mega short connection in DFW. I feel like I was able to get 4 hours in DFW yesterday, but the most I can get now is 40 minutes. I'd way rather spend time at the FL with FFD in DFW than the pony Admirals Club in Denver. So I'm wondering if schedule changes will give me room to rearrange things a bit, or failing that, could I attempt a same day flight change and get on a later DFW-DEN? I guess I could also just go straignt from DFW to LHR. Any views on whether upgrade more likely on DFW-LHR vs DEN-LHR? 3 AA flights from DFW, and it's ski season with only 1 BA flight from DEN...?
Hi, how are you bringing up and then booking this fair. with Matrix it only allows me to do 6 flights.?
Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by LegendB
Hi, how are you bringing up and then booking this fair. with Matrix it only allows me to do 6 flights.?
Something like this. Although I wasn't able to book it using Bookwithmatrix or through the normal US & UK link using powertools. Had to do it using powertools via the AA Europe, Asia, Pacific link. This doesn't change anything other than you get billed in euro rather than dollar as far as I can tell.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 25, 2022, 9:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Hawaii run for me too next November, on AA ticket.
1700 and 960 TPs for BUD-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL / HNL--LAX-JFK-MAD-LHR-BUD.
It was possible to add MAD also on the inbound for 1000 TPs (and 50 eur more) but wasn't working with my schedule.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:04 pm

And when you have a complex fair, like some of the examples above, what recommendations for booking it to get the same price on Matrix. Do people use a travel agent, or will the BA / AA call centres do it?
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by LegendB
And when you have a complex fair, like some of the examples above, what recommendations for booking it to get the same price on Matrix. Do people use a travel agent, or will the BA / AA call centres do it?
If you would like to book on AA stock, you could use the Powertools extension on ITA Matrix or copy the itinerary to Bookwithmatrix.com.
You could alternatively call AA or BA ( each respectively for their own ticketing stock ) but if I'm not wrong BA is not prioritizing sales calls thus the wait times on the phone might be longer than usual.

Bookwithmatrix.com can also copy the same itinerary to Priceline and some other OTA's but when booking with them, be aware that for changes, you would need to deal with the agency directly and tickets might be issued in Iberia or Finnair ticketing stocks which don't offer that much flexibility compared to American and British.

You could always use a travel agent but they are likely to have a small service fee.

Also a slight note, if booking on AA ticketing stock, be aware that AA would not budge to refund a ticket if there is a cancellation and a legitimate option ( could be most direct ) is available within -4/+4 hours unless you file a complaint to a regulator ( US DoT, EC261/2004, etc... ) thus if booking with AA, also consider that.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I think as a BA Gold you get a few more Avios when it's booked on a 125 stock ticket rather than 001. But as far as TPs go there's no difference.

Of course you also can't apply GUF vouchers or UUA on a 001 ticket so that's worth bearing in mind.
I don’t think this is true anymore, both BA and AA give the same Avios.
Markie, gcuk and Sifu like this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If you would like to book on AA stock, you could use the Powertools extension on ITA Matrix or copy the itinerary to Bookwithmatrix.com.
You could alternatively call AA or BA ( each respectively for their own ticketing stock ) but if I'm not wrong BA is not prioritizing sales calls thus the wait times on the phone might be longer than usual.

Bookwithmatrix.com can also copy the same itinerary to Priceline and some other OTA's but when booking with them, be aware that for changes, you would need to deal with the agency directly and tickets might be issued in Iberia or Finnair ticketing stocks which don't offer that much flexibility compared to American and British.

You could always use a travel agent but they are likely to have a small service fee.

Also a slight note, if booking on AA ticketing stock, be aware that AA would not budge to refund a ticket if there is a cancellation and a legitimate option ( could be most direct ) is available within -4/+4 hours unless you file a complaint to a regulator ( US DoT, EC261/2004, etc... ) thus if booking with AA, also consider that.
Thank you - that is really useful info both for me and anyone else I suspect that is new to this as I am too. Much appreciated.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Any TP-run opportunities from North America to PTY?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 12:59 am

Anybody able to help, I'm trying to find a couple of flights with opportunities for TP runs since I'm close to the GUF2 for the year, and would love some help!

I need to go to NYC from mid June to early July, happy to go via anywhere pretty much and would love to keep it around £2 per TP or less! Also have a trip leaving mid August to late August from anywhere to Nairobi, would love to stay around the same region, £2 per point!

Anyone able to help or come across anything that might suit?

Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2022, 1:11 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
The codeshares that do matter are Finnair vs. BA:

Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:55 am

Toying with the idea of doing the LHR-SOF and nesting another trip to make it 2 B2Bs. On top of that, thought about adding car rental to get double TPs on the trip starting in LHR. Does anyone have any experience or views on any potential issue with getting doubpe TPs if I don't actually pick up the car?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer

I've also often bumped up against issues booking on the phone with BA. Often the agent just isn't able to get the fare to work. It's fine directly on aa.com using Powertools. But last night the agent I had could only get the fare to book in R class which was like £600 more expensive. Ended up just booking on aa.com but still have all these BA vouchers I can't seem to get through!!
Old Apr 26, 2022, 5:00 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by RichieMc
I've also often bumped up against issues booking on the phone with BA. Often the agent just isn't able to get the fare to work. It's fine directly on aa.com using Powertools. But last night the agent I had could only get the fare to book in R class which was like £600 more expensive. Ended up just booking on aa.com but still have all these BA vouchers I can't seem to get through!!
Don't forget that AA/BA/IB/AY all have different numbers of I class tickets available. So it's not unusual for AA to be able to sell you I class but BA to not have any left in that bucket.
Markie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.