Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I think you have that the wrong way round...
Nope I don't If the UAE are foolish enough to still accept UK citizens (presumably chasing the $$) then they can worry about the fall out. My concern comes with Brits mixing abroad; being able to do so in a way not allowed in the UK (Boozy brunches and IG shoots don't lend themselves to social distancing). This is in addition to travellers mixing with potential arrivals from SA, a point I know also applies to Abu Dhabi and Qatar as transfer hubs.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:22 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Originally Posted by londonba2014
Nope I don't If the UAE are foolish enough to still accept UK citizens (presumably chasing the $$) then they can worry about the fall out. My concern comes with Brits mixing abroad; being able to do so in a way not allowed in the UK (Boozy brunches and IG shoots don't lend themselves to social distancing). This is in addition to travellers mixing with potential arrivals from SA, a point I know also applies to Abu Dhabi and Qatar as transfer hubs.
Beggars belief that Celtic have taken their squad away to Dubai yesterday, with the players spotted out drinking in bars around hotels etc.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Sprodo
Beggars belief that Celtic have taken their squad away to Dubai yesterday, with the players spotted out drinking in bars around hotels etc.
Sounds like a proper Scottish training session, perhaps without the sun
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Which Marriott? There are a few. If it's the JW Marriott, then that's a good price. It's in a good location, and I believe the lounge is open (if you have access). It has some great bars and restaurants. The JW would normally be > £200 at this time of year.

Accor also has some bargains.
The cheapest way to book the JW Marriott Marquis at the moment is as a COVID isolation hotel (either quarantine or asymptomatic only) for AED250 per night (including 3 meals) - which is about GBP50. No housekeeping and your not allowed to leave your room though!

Originally Posted by modularmayhem
Free testing on arrival still available. Although i can see DXB changing this soon once the New Years Eve tourist season is over.
Based on current UK data there is a 1 in 85 chance that you would test positive on arrival. A British man in a bar last week explained how his wife tested positive on arrival and was spending 14 days in isolation. The Government provided accommodation was shared rooms and described as 'disgusting', and he had a list of hotels where you could pay extra to stay at. He seemed to be having a great time without his wife though. Afterwards we wondered if he should probably have been self isolating....

Edited to add: I of course cannot validate his story, but the (photo of the) list of hotels looked legit.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: Executive Club
Angry BA avios hotels - cancellation policy

Hi, can anyone help with this from BA Avios Hotels in the TCs RE a booking in DXB commencing 7/1/21:

Cancellations made within 3 days of Travel : No Refunds permitted.

Cancellations made up to 3 days before travel : Cancellations made on or after 06/01/21 will be subject to a fee of 165.78 GBP or equivalent cost in Avios + £35 administration fee.

Reading this, it looks like if one were to cancel three days before arrival, all money would be lost but, if cancelling the day before, you’d get away with a £165 fee. This doesn’t make sense – is the second paragraph a typo?

Regardless, I feel the no cancellations within three days is hidden within a large paragraph and I didn't even notice it at first. I only saw the second paragraph which, at first glance, read to me like it's free cancellation up to the 6/1 but a fee of £165 thereafter.

To my horror, when I went to cancel this earlier it was saying I had lost the full amount. Reading it over, though, could that second paragraph be a typo that they have to honour? Either way, it's very confusing.

Can anyone shed any light? I stand to lose £1,200!
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Harchy
Welcome to Flyertalk Harchy, and welcome to the BA forum.

Firstly, don't press any cancel buttons unless you are certain of the implications and happy with it. Second, I know it will be difficult but you best ring BA Holidays (not the main BA numbers) to check how to reconcile those statements, which as you say seem illogical. My suspicion is that it is a standard text moving around a specific charge and that hasn't been picked up yet. Finally, it's important to know whether this is a BA Holidays hotel only booking, or a BA Holidays Flight + Hotels booking, plus whether you are UK based, since that impacts what protection you can expect. But right now you need to call BAH, and if it doesn't sound good, and you are UK based, wait until the government's announcement at 20:00 hrs GMT, covered on BBC1 and BBC News.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:56 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Hi, can anyone help with this from BA Avios Hotels in the TCs RE a booking in DXB commencing 7/1/21:

Cancellations made within 3 days of Travel : No Refunds permitted.

Cancellations made up to 3 days before travel : Cancellations made on or after 06/01/21 will be subject to a fee of 165.78 GBP or equivalent cost in Avios + £35 administration fee.

Reading this, it looks like if one were to cancel three days before arrival, all money would be lost but, if cancelling the day before, you’d get away with a £165 fee. This doesn’t make sense – is the second paragraph a typo?

Regardless, I feel the no cancellations within three days is hidden within a large paragraph and I didn't even notice it at first. I only saw the second paragraph which, at first glance, read to me like it's free cancellation up to the 6/1 but a fee of £165 thereafter.

To my horror, when I went to cancel this earlier it was saying I had lost the full amount. Reading it over, though, could that second paragraph be a typo that they have to honour? Either way, it's very confusing.

If 'on or after 06/01/21' is a direct quote from your T&Cs I'd expect them to have to honour that. It's obviously a typo but that's not your problem.

Give them a call. Is this a hotel only booking? Not a BA Holidays (flight and hotel) booking?
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk Harchy, and welcome to the BA forum.

Firstly, don't press any cancel buttons unless you are certain of the implications and happy with it. Second, I know it will be difficult but you best ring BA Holidays (not the main BA numbers) to check how to reconcile those statements, which as you say seem illogical. My suspicion is that it is a standard text moving around a specific charge and that hasn't been picked up yet. Finally, it's important to know whether this is a BA Holidays hotel only booking, or a BA Holidays Flight + Hotels booking, plus whether you are UK based, since that impacts what protection you can expect. But right now you need to call BAH, and if it doesn't sound good, and you are UK based, wait until the government's announcement at 20:00 hrs GMT, covered on BBC1 and BBC News.
Thanks for the welcome.

It was a hotel-only booking through the BA avios hotels link. I am indeed UK-based.
When I phoned them earlier (before I'd noticed this possible loophole) they were adamant they weren't refunding me a penny.
Do you think any possible lockdown announcement this evening may also work in my favour?

Thanks,

Harchy
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
If 'on or after 06/01/21' is a direct quote from your T&Cs I'd expect them to have to honour that. It's obviously a typo but that's not your problem.

Give them a call. Is this a hotel only booking? Not a BA Holidays (flight and hotel) booking?
Yes, was hotel-only.
So you think I might be saved by a typo?
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It was a hotel-only booking through the BA avios hotels link. I am indeed UK-based.
When I phoned them earlier (before I'd noticed this possible loophole) they were adamant they weren't refunding me a penny.
Do you think any possible lockdown announcement this evening may also work in my favour?
OK, well you are in a weaker position if it is hotel only. Any announcement from HMG should help, possibly not by very much, but if you have a clear statement saying that cancellation after 6 January gives a better refund, you better stick to the letter of that and cancel on or after 6 January. Each hotel has its own cancellation rules on BAH and you have to book carefully with that in mind. You may also want to check with any insurance cover too.

Note that on your first day on Flyertalk you only have 5 posts as a one time restriction, so get your questions into one post if you can.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:09 pm

Utter nonsense and your "boozy brunches" narrative just goes to show that the closest you've been to Dubai is via reading the Guardian.

The impression that many I spoke to in Dubai have is that the UK has completely lost its mind.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Duck1981
Interesting thanks - any other FTers here who had to be tested even if arriving with a negative PCR test? The official guidance is still the same on the EK webpage (but it always said you 'might' need to have an additional test after arrival)
I arrived at DXB with a Negative Covid Test on 21st Dec via Gulf Air. The flight arrived at DXB T3 and I got in the line for those with a negative test. I was not asked for the test nor was I asked for the health declarations and locator forms, which Gulf Air had me fill out. All that happened was I looked into a camera, my passport stamped and I was sent on my way.

The place is dead, there's no "boozy brunches" like others here have said, face masks are enforced and brunches witnessed by myself and colleagues were attended by a max of 2 or 3 people. Go to a bar or restaurant and it's that dead you're 10 metres apart from other people. Speak to the taxi drivers and they'll tell you that they barely make enough to feed their families. The Dubai Mall was also quite dead too. What we did notice was a lot of Russians and that was it. Even our fave spots in the DIFC were closed and some for good.

Compared to the same time last year, the place was a ghost town.

Ignore the Covid Commissars on this thread. Go to Dubai and enjoy your time there because they certainly seem to understand that the cure cannot be worse than the disease.

Last edited by Captain Walker; Jan 4, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:34 pm

Anyone on here thinks Dubai will close its borders to UK citizens?
rumors been going around
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Palty
Anyone on here thinks Dubai will close its borders to UK citizens?
rumors been going around
I imagine U.K. citizens won’t be going very far after today’s/tonight’s announcement.

Boris Johnson at 8pm GMT for latest updates.
Palty likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:08 pm

You clearly have no idea of the current reality in Dubai (and I say that as someone who detests Dubai, but have had multiple fairly lengthy trips to DXB in the last few months).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.