Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2022, 5:00 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by oceanscape
I visited Dubai in November and I can confirm that, once again, they barely even look at it so all the panic about QR codes, the certificate not having an address on it etc. etc. is probably unwarranted as they literally take a 1-second glance and are processing everyone as fast as possible. Mobile phone copies are fine; no need to print.
Agree at the Dubai end, but I think the bigger risk with these requirements to be aware of is that you may get a member of staff checking you in who follows the rules to the letter or even interprets them in a weird way and won't let you check in without these things, so I'd still personally make sure my test complies with everything if possible. For example, I wasn't allowed to check in by BA for a DXB flight without a printed test last month and so had to go to the Excess Baggage Company in T5 first and pay to print my test. Of course, it was a total waste of time and money, I then threw the piece of paper in my bag and they barely glanced at the certificate on my phone at the other end
Old Jan 23, 2022, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Agree at the Dubai end, but I think the bigger risk with these requirements to be aware of is that you may get a member of staff checking you in who follows the rules to the letter or even interprets them in a weird way and won't let you check in without these things, so I'd still personally make sure my test complies with everything if possible. For example, I wasn't allowed to check in by BA for a DXB flight without a printed test last month and so had to go to the Excess Baggage Company in T5 first and pay to print my test. Of course, it was a total waste of time and money, I then threw the piece of paper in my bag and they barely glanced at the certificate on my phone at the other end
It's a good point but I think if you've gone through Verifly (as I did) it's fine, as the check-in staff will (or should!) just accept sight of your Verifly confirmation on the App.
esledo likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:07 am

Thought I'd share my recent arrivals experience at DXB.

Background: I was extremely close to cancelling this trip, as the thought of getting a positive PCR on arrival and being subject to 10 days locked in a hotel room, potentially at a hotel I had no control over, was terrifying. It's the complete lack of transparency and information that is frustrating; some people report being told by the Health Authorities they were not allowed to stay at their hotel and had to choose a "paid" facility (i.e. a 3 to 4 star hotel chosen by the government, some of which look pretty awful) or a "free" facility (I dread to think what that is like). Others said they were allowed to stay at their hotel for the 10-day quarantine but only because their hotel agreed. It's all over the place with no clear guidance. I did LFTs every day for 5 days in the run up to the trip as reassurance and of course also had the 48-hour PCR test that is required for entry too. So I was confident of being negative but of course you can never tell what will happen as it's out of your control.

I arrived on the morning BA flight BA105 and would summarise the arrivals experience as follows:

(1) I think BA105 was one of only a few flights (if not the only one) that arrived at T1 at the time it did, as there didn't seem to be many other passengers around. First step is to show your PCR test certificate to the people at the entrance to the monorail. I visited Dubai in November and I can confirm that, once again, they barely even look at it so all the panic about QR codes, the certificate not having an address on it etc. etc. is probably unwarranted as they literally take a 1-second glance and are processing everyone as fast as possible. Mobile phone copies are fine; no need to print.

(2) Queue for the monorail took around 10-15 mins as I missed the first one. BA105 is an A380 and it was a high load, so there were LOTS of people crammed in, it was very unpleasant.

(3) After the monorail the next step is the queue for the arrivals PCR. The line itself is extremely long so there are clearly times when they anticipate hundreds, if not thousands, of people. There are 3 or 4 lanes, 2 or 3 "regular lanes" and then a lane for families with young children (they went straight to the front). I had Marhaba Silver arrivals service and also went in this lane. It still took around 20 minutes as it was dreadfully organised. There are around 30-40 bays for testing but instead of filtering people to the "next available" bay when one frees up it's just a free-for-all - so you had 4 or 5 people queuing for the bays at the start of the line and only 1 or 2 people at the bays at the end. Then you had some bays that closed, some that opened, it was just a mess and also very claustrophobic as everyone is packed in tight.

(4) The test was nasal only; took 2 mins. They scan your passport, then you type in your mobile number on to the screen and then a sticker is affixed to your passport as "evidence" you have had the test. The sticker has a QR code and some people have reported being able to access their result via this, for me it just gave an error message and did not work. The workers taking the test do not explain ANYTHING - I was fully aware I'd have this arrivals test thanks to FlyerTalk but many people around me from the London flight were very confused and concerned and didn't understand why this was happening. It clearly has not been communicated very well (I think the official Dubai government info still doesn't say UK inbound arrivals are all subject to PCR testing so I guess 99% of people had no idea this would happen). By the way, if it wasn't for FlyerTalk I wouldn't have even known that: (A) I was supposed to quarantine until I get the result; as nobody told anyone this; or (B) that I would even receive the result at all. There was NO INFORMATION. I expect 99% of people from my flight just started their holiday as normal.

(5) You then go through immigration as usual, I'm not sure on the regular waiting time as used Marhaba. However, immigration officer wants to see nothing except your passport. They don't want to see the PCR certificate and, as per my November trip, nobody at any point asked for the Health Declaration Form that BA hand out on the flight.

The waiting game for the text message was extremely stressful. I'd read of 2-3 hour waits but mine took around 5-6 hours. Thankfully negative.

Hope this helps anyone else travelling soon and who is as paranoid/anxious as me!
very helpful thank you, this too is something I’m worried about
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DynamicPulse
Mrs Jordi 14 Just received confirmation from her NHS PCR that she is positive. (she feels well, just bit achy) Our flight to Dubai 'should' have been on the 10th of Feb,( 2.5 weeks from now )
So this has 'cancellation' all written over it.
Can I do the 48 hrs PCR test (before departure) and in case positive still apply for voucher ?
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jordi14
Mrs Jordi 14 Just received confirmation from her NHS PCR that she is positive. (she feels well, just bit achy) Our flight to Dubai 'should' have been on the 10th of Feb,( 2.5 weeks from now )
Can I do the 48 hrs PCR test (before departure) and in case positive still apply for voucher ?
If MrsJodi14 is normally resident in Buckinghamshire, there is a 99.7% chance she has Omicron. Assuming she is under 50 her infectious stage will be about 6 stays from the first moment she felt achy. At 10 days it's unlikely (but nevertheless possible) that she will have a positive PCR. Laterals are arguably more accurate at this stage, and she should be negative from day 7 or so. If PCR tested on 10 February she has a less than 1% chance of being positive. But yes you can get an FTV (redemption booking) or an eVoucher (cash) upto a couple of hours before departure. I would suggest a same day PCR test on the day before travel to maximise your options.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:53 am

Thought I'd share my recent arrivals experience at DXB.

Background: I was extremely close to cancelling this trip, as the thought of getting a positive PCR on arrival and being subject to 10 days locked in a hotel room, potentially at a hotel I had no control over, was terrifying. It's the complete lack of transparency and information that is frustrating; some people report being told by the Health Authorities they were not allowed to stay at their hotel and had to choose a "paid" facility (i.e. a 3 to 4 star hotel chosen by the government, some of which look pretty awful) or a "free" facility (I dread to think what that is like). Others said they were allowed to stay at their hotel for the 10-day quarantine but only because their hotel agreed. It's all over the place with no clear guidance. I did LFTs every day for 5 days in the run up to the trip as reassurance and of course also had the 48-hour PCR test that is required for entry too. So I was confident of being negative but of course you can never tell what will happen as it's out of your control.

I arrived on the morning BA flight BA105 and would summarise the arrivals experience as follows:

(1) I think BA105 was one of only a few flights (if not the only one) that arrived at T1 at the time it did, as there didn't seem to be many other passengers around. First step is to show your PCR test certificate to the people at the entrance to the monorail. I visited Dubai in November and I can confirm that, once again, they barely even look at it so all the panic about QR codes, the certificate not having an address on it etc. etc. is probably unwarranted as they literally take a 1-second glance and are processing everyone as fast as possible. Mobile phone copies are fine; no need to print.

(2) Queue for the monorail took around 10-15 mins as I missed the first one. BA105 is an A380 and it was a high load, so there were LOTS of people crammed in, it was very unpleasant.

(3) After the monorail the next step is the queue for the arrivals PCR. The line itself is extremely long so there are clearly times when they anticipate hundreds, if not thousands, of people. There are 3 or 4 lanes, 2 or 3 "regular lanes" and then a lane for families with young children (they went straight to the front). I had Marhaba Silver arrivals service and also went in this lane. It still took around 20 minutes as it was dreadfully organised. There are around 30-40 bays for testing but instead of filtering people to the "next available" bay when one frees up it's just a free-for-all - so you had 4 or 5 people queuing for the bays at the start of the line and only 1 or 2 people at the bays at the end. Then you had some bays that closed, some that opened, it was just a mess and also very claustrophobic as everyone is packed in tight.

(4) The test was nasal only; took 2 mins. They scan your passport, then you type in your mobile number on to the screen and then a sticker is affixed to your passport as "evidence" you have had the test. The sticker has a QR code and some people have reported being able to access their result via this, for me it just gave an error message and did not work. The workers taking the test do not explain ANYTHING - I was fully aware I'd have this arrivals test thanks to FlyerTalk but many people around me from the London flight were very confused and concerned and didn't understand why this was happening. It clearly has not been communicated very well (I think the official Dubai government info still doesn't say UK inbound arrivals are all subject to PCR testing so I guess 99% of people had no idea this would happen). By the way, if it wasn't for FlyerTalk I wouldn't have even known that: (A) I was supposed to quarantine until I get the result; as nobody told anyone this; or (B) that I would even receive the result at all. There was NO INFORMATION. I expect 99% of people from my flight just started their holiday as normal.

(5) You then go through immigration as usual, I'm not sure on the regular waiting time as used Marhaba. However, immigration officer wants to see nothing except your passport. They don't want to see the PCR certificate and, as per my November trip, nobody at any point asked for the Health Declaration Form that BA hand out on the flight.

The waiting game for the text message was extremely stressful. I'd read of 2-3 hour waits but mine took around 5-6 hours. Thankfully negative.

Hope this helps anyone else travelling soon and who is as paranoid/anxious as me!
Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Last year BA printed my docs for free in the duty office to the right of zone E.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
It's a good point but I think if you've gone through Verifly (as I did) it's fine, as the check-in staff will (or should!) just accept sight of your Verifly confirmation on the App.
Mine wasn’t interested in Verifly at all. Just the printed PCR test.
The certificate check at the Dubai end was little more than a glance. I was in exactly the same mind as you though about the PCR on arrival as reported upthread. It adds a layer of uncertainty to travel that means you don’t look forward to it as much.
oceanscape likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
I tested positive on my pre departure pcr despite having many negative later flows. This was less than 24 hours before my flight, I contacted ba and they applied the medical policy, which meant they would cancel my flight and I could re book without any fees or fare difference when I was fit to fly. I was testing positive for around 12-14 days after my first positive, again lateral flows were showing negative by this point but still being picked up on lateral flows. When I got my negative PCR I contact Ba and they rebooked me for the following day, no charges or fare difference, I just had to email a copy of negative PCR. All very quick and easy tbh! I was surprised!

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Mgo6
I tested positive on my pre departure pcr despite having many negative later flows. This was less than 24 hours before my flight, I contacted ba and they applied the medical policy, which meant they would cancel my flight and I could re book without any fees or fare difference when I was fit to fly. I was testing positive for around 12-14 days after my first positive, again lateral flows were showing negative by this point but still being picked up on lateral flows. When I got my negative PCR I contact Ba and they rebooked me for the following day, no charges or fare difference, I just had to email a copy of negative PCR. All very quick and easy tbh! I was surprised!

Hope this helps!
Great, sounds promising thanks.
How long did it take from your first 'positive' test / symptoms until you had a negative PCR ? *Sorry if not really Dubai related *
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Great, sounds promising thanks.
How long did it take from your first 'positive' test / symptoms until you had a negative PCR ? *Sorry if not really Dubai related *
I did my negative test 15 days after first positive. On the 11th day I was still positive and didn’t want to keep testing so waited till 15th to try again.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 8:13 am

[QUOTE=corporate-wage-slave;33927625]If MrsJodi14 is normally resident in Buckinghamshire, there is a 99.7% chance she has Omicron. Assuming she is under 50 her infectious stage will be about 6 stays from the first moment she felt achy. At 10 days it's unlikely (but nevertheless possible) that she will have a positive PCR. Laterals are arguably more accurate at this stage, and she should be negative from day 7 or so. If PCR tested on 10 February she has a less than 1% chance of being positive. But yes you can get an FTV (redemption booking) or an eVoucher (cash) upto a couple of hours before departure. I would suggest a same day PCR test on the day before travel to maximise your options.[/QUOTE

Thanks, this gives me hope!
As its a BA Holiday booking, does the same count for cancelling up to a couple of hours before departure ? Or different 'rules' ?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
As its a BA Holiday booking, does the same count for cancelling up to a couple of hours before departure ? Or different 'rules' ?
Yes, it potentially makes a difference, so it's important to mention this in posts. My understanding is that you are probably more looking at insurance cover since the hotel or car hire component may be inflexible depending on the notification process. The flights may be moveable, but I fear you will need a discussion with BAH as soon as the situation becomes clear, it's not as easy as flight only bookings unfortunately. There is potential to help use the medical policy, mentioned above, but that applies to those already on their trip.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Blue, HH Diamond
Just been notified that my BA104 flight in October 2022 has been cancelled (that was the old club seat). I've been shifted on to BA108 (with new club seat). Looks like its just 2 flights a day again.... which is surprising as I thought it was one of the more popular routes they had?

Last edited by 2002ad; Jan 25, 2022 at 1:21 pm
Old Jan 28, 2022, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Maybe the wrong forum however….

Has anyone used Randox for UAE? Any dreaded QR code issues?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.