Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2020, 3:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ttama
Thank you. No, it didn't address the question of how long the 25% reduction lasts, and what BA mean by "next time you're up for renewal", or at least not in a way I understood. BA have not made it clear what they mean by "next time you're up for renewal" under the "something to make you smile" rules. Is it April 2021 (my membership year end) or April 2022 (when the status extension ends)? They don't say.

I don't know yet. It depends very much on the 25% reduction. I'd be pissed off if I wait until after my current membership end date, which is April 2021, and find the 25% reduction disappears at that point and I haven't taken advantage of it. If I get 25% off until the end of my second membership year, April 2022, I may wait.

I had planned to go for Silver between April 8th and May 31st this year, as I'd never intended to be Bronze, but that's history. I've cancelled all my upcoming trips and things are much more complex now. Some of the factors that would influence my decision on when to go for Silver now would be my own health, that of my partner, how safe we feel it is to travel, what class of travel we decide to use (or can get on our companion vouchers, as availability may differ due to heavily revised timetables), whether we need to visit family for any reason (funerals are a consideration) and when we decide to use our companion vouchers. If "next time you're up for renewal" means April 8th 2022 (when the 12 month extension ends) then that gives me more latitude and I can sit back and see what happens over the next few months.
The reduced thresholds apply to your current 9 April 2020 to 8 April 2021 collection year, and your 9 April 2021 to 8 April 2022 collection year.

If you want to go for silver between now and 8 April 2021 then once you get to the reduced threshold and eligible flights you will go up to silver straight away, you would become silver for the rest of your current year and the next full membership year, i.e. the rest of now to 8 April 2021, and 9 April 2021 to 8 April 2022.

If you don't wish to travel atm, you can aim to get the reduced threshold in your 9 April 2021 to 8 April 2022 collection year. You would become silver once you hit the threshold to the end of that collection year, and the next full membership year, i.e. from when you hit the TP to 8 April 2022, and 9 April 2022 to 8 April 2023.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
There really is no need to call or email BAEC for these updates. As noted upthread those with July year end dates will see their status updated at the end of July 2020.
I think that maybe you misread the dates here - or if not I have also missed something upthread. Both of the posts you quoted concern Aug expiry (Jul 8 TP reset), and give anecdotal support that those who requalified at their current level with post-June TP reset dates (i.e. July, Aug. etc.) may still be given a​ year extra via a further adjustment.
scotx3 likes this.

Last edited by GinFizz; Jul 1, 2020 at 6:13 am
Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:01 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
So now I’m really confused! Your situation seems
similar to mine but we get one year different end dates..??

It does appear to be the same situation. BobOnBA confirmed July 8 TP collection, same as yours and also has requalified.

Must be some difference tho... Maybe still hope that you will get 2022 as well.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
It's partner cards and those who qualified for a higher tier (which then extends one's end date to the end of the following year). For those who don't qualify for a higher tier (or can't - such as GGLs), then the model doesn't work anywhere near so well. My extended date is 31 Aug 2021.
Indeed I have qualified for a higher tier and therefore my status has been generously extended to 2023. Now let's see if I could get enough TP before my current collection year ends to upgrade to Gold to maximise this extension.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:59 pm

Similarly to what someone else said upthread, I didn't read much into this, assuming I wouldn't benefit. I secured silver in January, earning status for this and next year, through to Jan 2022. Assumed the 12 month extension wouldn't apply as I'd already got it for the following 12 months, but misunderstood that completely so was nice to see a further 12 months added today to take me to Jan 2023! Very pleased with that

Will I still get 25% reduction to renew for my collection year starting, I'm assuming, 8 Dec 2021?

Last edited by JamieG; Jul 1, 2020 at 12:05 am
Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:29 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
I'm grateful to BA for the GGL extension, but at the same time bemused by the wording below. You'd have thought they'd have changed the wording given the lack of Covid flying this year!

"Dear Mr TMT,

Here at the Executive Club, we think our Members should be rewarded, which is why you earn Tier Points when you fly with us. We’re truly grateful for your loyalty, reflected in the 0 Tier Points that you’ve earned this membership year."
Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hello all!

I have a question regarding leniency for trips booked towards the end of a collection year, and then cancelled by BA. I'm currently Silver, 195 TP from Gold, with a TP collection year end of 8th Sept.

I have a BA holidays booking for a CW return trip in the first week of Sept, returning 7th Sept - I've already had two holidays cancelled for that week, so am hoping it will be third time lucky!

This trip will easily earn me the 195 TP I need to attain Gold - but I'm concerned that it will be cancelled at short notice, leaving me little time to get the requisite points. What would happen in this scenario? Would I just have to find some other way of getting the 195 TPs in that final week of my collection year? Is the two-week extension still being granted despite the reduced requirements?

Or is there any leniency and hope of being able to claim the TPs even though the flight is cancelled?

Or would the advice be to do a TP run or two and get the 195 TP in the bag in July/Aug?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:45 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Too much travel
I'm grateful to BA for the GGL extension, but at the same time bemused by the wording below. You'd have thought they'd have changed the wording given the lack of Covid flying this year!

"Dear Mr TMT,

Here at the Executive Club, we think our Members should be rewarded, which is why you earn Tier Points when you fly with us. We’re truly grateful for your loyalty, reflected in the 0 Tier Points that you’ve earned this membership year."
You'd have thought there would be some logic around % of thresholds achieved so the wording could be massaged Is this a separate email for May and June year-ends?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Too much travel

"Dear Mr TMT,

Would you rather they customise the email to say “We’re disappointed and horrified at your disloyalty for earning a paltry 0 Tier Points...”
ENTP likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:00 am

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes, those with dates into 2022 are likely to be those who upgraded in the current year. they already hard card expiry dates in 2021 so adding 12 months gets them in to 2022.

Hopefully this may help explain a bit more https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32476015-post1142.html
So basically will those of us like me who have already requalified this year for Gold with a October year end get nothing?

My year would extend to 2021 in October anyway without this , so I assume come October 9th, nothing will happen to my account apart from my hard earned tier points will reset to zero and the card expiry date will remain November 2021?
Or will come October 9th, will a year be added on to my account and it will say “card expiry November 30th 2022”?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Jet Ranger
So basically will those of us like me who have already requalified this year for Gold with a October year end get nothing?

My year would extend to 2021 in October anyway without this , so I assume come October 9th, nothing will happen to my account apart from my hard earned tier points will reset to zero and the card expiry date will remain November 2021?
Or will come October 9th, will a year be added on to my account and it will say “card expiry November 30th 2022”?
In terms of an extension? You are right if you had already re-qualified in your current membership year effectively the extension given to your card expiry to 30 November 2021 is what you would have got anyway. I don't believe come 9 October your card expiry will be extended for a further year to 30 November 2022.

Reduced thresholds still apply of course.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Would you rather they customise the email to say “We’re disappointed and horrified at your disloyalty for earning a paltry 0 Tier Points...”
That might be what they secretly think, but I would recommend some softer, more encouraging language to be shared with the customer
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Priority Spire, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Does anyone know how to get hold of BA Executive club contacts regarding a status upgrade?

My wife is on 580 Tier points with her earning year ending 8 July. We had a return leg from DXB booked in April which was changed several times and then cancelled and ended up stuck in Dubai for 6 weeks. Unfortunately BA have not yet resumed flights and so we were forced to return on an emirates repatriation flight in May.

Had we been able to take that flight she would have reached 600 Tier points. For obvious health, safety and government linguine reasons we did not book a Tier point run flight within Europe.

When receiving our refund we were advised that BA would honor the 35 Tier points on the return booking but as yet this has not happened. We have also submitted several queries but with no reply and we are unable to get through on the phones.

I completely understand the current unprecedented scenario and the need to see to other more urgent customer queries. However having always been very loyal to BA over the years we would be upset if there wasn't any way of honoring the Tier points for our return leg or at least extending the earning period.

I welcome any advice on this matter and whether there is anything we can do in the next 7 days.

Thanks
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:15 am
TGC

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Dominic14
Does anyone know how to get hold of BA Executive club contacts regarding a status upgrade?

My wife is on 580 Tier points with her earning year ending 8 July. We had a return leg from DXB booked in April which was changed several times and then cancelled and ended up stuck in Dubai for 6 weeks. Unfortunately BA have not yet resumed flights and so we were forced to return on an emirates repatriation flight in May.

Had we been able to take that flight she would have reached 600 Tier points. For obvious health, safety and government linguine reasons we did not book a Tier point run flight within Europe.

When receiving our refund we were advised that BA would honor the 35 Tier points on the return booking but as yet this has not happened. We have also submitted several queries but with no reply and we are unable to get through on the phones.

I completely understand the current unprecedented scenario and the need to see to other more urgent customer queries. However having always been very loyal to BA over the years we would be upset if there wasn't any way of honoring the Tier points for our return leg or at least extending the earning period.

I welcome any advice on this matter and whether there is anything we can do in the next 7 days.

Thanks
I had a similar scenario, sent BAEC an old fashioned letter, with my flight date, and booking reference, and was given the credit. (the postal address is on the BA website somewhere)
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Dominic14

Thanks
i don’t think you need the cancelled trips to be honoured in terms of TPs since you meet the reduced thresholds anyway. You should be upgraded to silver unless you are not meeting the eligible flights requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.