Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2020, 11:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by ManchesterBAFlyer
  • Any tier points earned before 9 June 2021 are only of use if they would lead to a tier upgrade as they will be reset to zero on that day.
Indeed, or as lifetime TPs. However the reduced thresholds also apply, so it's 75 % also in the current cycle for any upgrade.

Overall a very practical summary by you. Good job there!
ManchesterBAFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 12:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
She said reason for no email was an it glitch which she believed is related to their systems taking time to update renewals.
The article on Business Traveller was updated with a direct quote from BA yesterday to confirm they have deliberately not sent emails to those with June renewal dates, as they want to wait for any downgrades to be processed after the card expiry dates (i.e. the end of the month following collection year end).

They can then confirm the extension at whatever the new collection year’s status is.

That addition almost makes up for their poorly worded first go on this topic which caused some confusion.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 12:02 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by ao40
The article on Business Traveller was updated with a direct quote from BA yesterday to confirm they have deliberately not sent emails to those with June renewal dates, as they want to wait for any downgrades to be processed after the card expiry dates (i.e. the end of the month following collection year end).

They can then confirm the extension at whatever the new collection year’s status is.

That addition almost makes up for their poorly worded first go on this topic which caused some confusion.
to be fair to BA, it clearly says that on their web site.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 12:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jonnyboy1977
to be fair to BA, it clearly says that on their web site.
Not quite - it says it will be “applied” after card expiry. It does not mention they will not receive an email until then, a topic that seemed to be causing some concern for a few posters.

Remember that it has not been applied for anyone yet, but the emails were still sent.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 12:09 am

Not quite - it says it will be “applied” after card expiry. It does not mention they will not receive an email until then, a topic that seemed to be causing some concern for a few posters.

Remember that it has not been applied for anyone yet, but the emails were still sent.
I guess so.

I can't believe I just used the word "clearly" In the context of BA
Old Jun 13, 2020, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by izzik
I think I have a unique situation - not sure where it falls in the Persons A-D examples above.
My membership year ended June 8, 2020.
Almost a year prior to that, at the beginning of my membership year (late June 2019), I received an extension of Gold status via the BA Baby benefit, guaranteeing Gold status until June 2021.
My card expiry date still says Jul 31 2020, but I expect it will update to Jul 31 2021 at the very least (due to the baby benefit).
Will this 12 month covid status extension push it out to July 2022? Please?
Congratulations on the new arrival.

So you are currently a gold member in your year ending June 21, so BA would extend that should you not requalify automatically. So I think the answer would be yes, it would be extended till 22.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Person D has a tier year end of 8 November and is currently a Gold member:
  • Their current status year is until 8 November 2020, so their Gold will be renewed until 8 November 2021 (expiring end December 2021) even if they have not met the criteria.
  • From 9 November 2020, they will need to earn 75% of the required TPs to retain Gold after November 2021. For the following tier year they will need to earn 100% of the required tier points.
  • If they have already met the criteria for Gold by the time of the announcement on 11 June 2020, or will have before 9 November 2020 when their tier points will be reset to zero, this extension is of no benefit - tier point accrual will only have an impact if they earn enough by 9 November 2020 to get an upgrade to Gold Guest List.
Thanks for doing that. Why on earth couldn't BA have come up with some examples instead of sending out misleading emails?
I'd replace even if they have not met the criteria with even if they have already met the criteria because this appears to be the main point of contention.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Leon1980
Darn. That"s horrible for me as i will be downgraded to bronze . Very unlucky and unfair it seems
Did you not benefit from the reduced Tier Point requirement for those people with year ends in April, May and June? Qualification / re-qualification for Silver with a June year end was 420 Tier Points, a discount of 30% from the normal 600.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:31 am

Programs: BA GOLD
I have read through the entire thread and this "Bear of Little Brain" is well and truly confused so please bear (groan) with me.

Sadly I won't benefit much - despite on June 8th being moved to Gold and about an hour later moved back down again.

Silver card member
Year end 8th July 2020 - card expiry date 31st August
TP's 1060 earned up to 26th March
No travel possible from 26th March to 8th July - no confirmed PNR's although did have intended 2 CE return domestics and 1 LH planned but not booked which will not count.

TP's will be reset to 0 on 8th July
Assuming extention until July 2022 will be offered with 25% reduced TP's required for renewal.

Have I interpreted it correctly?

Bit disappointed but not everyone's a winner.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:41 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Brighterside
I have read through the entire thread and this "Bear of Little Brain" is well and truly confused so please bear (groan) with me.

Sadly I won't benefit much - despite on June 8th being moved to Gold and about an hour later moved back down again.

Silver card member
Year end 8th July 2020 - card expiry date 31st August
TP's 1060 earned up to 26th March
No travel possible from 26th March to 8th July - no confirmed PNR's although did have intended 2 CE return domestics and 1 LH planned but not booked which will not count.

TP's will be reset to 0 on 8th July
Assuming extention until July 2022 will be offered with 25% reduced TP's required for renewal.

Have I interpreted it correctly?

Bit disappointed but not everyone's a winner.
Sadly the only benefit you will get is the 25% reduction in Tier Points required in your year commencing on July 9th 2020. As you already have enough Tier Points to renew silver during your current year, you've already re-qualified at your existing tier so the extension doesn't apply.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Leon1980
If you did have any cancelled bookings before 8 June that would have put you up to a higher status, you may want to speak to BA - I think if you had a ticketed booking and can prove it, they could possibly be nice and give you the tier points.
I had an F trip worth 500 TP in may that got cancelled

i will definitely call them. I actually tried calling today but was no one I could speak to
I spoke to British Airways about this yesterday, actually. It was the Newcastle call centre.

For me, I had bookings for May that were cancelled which would have brought me up to Gold level at the 1,050 threshold that was offered to the 8 April, 8 May and 8 June people. I mentioned that I had heard that cancelled bookings may be taken into account for status.

The agent said that these would be taken into account automatically. She said she could see the cancelled bookings on my account and that when the 12 month extension was applied, this would also happen at the same time. I queried whether it really was automatic or whether it had to be done manually and she said it would happen automatically and I wouldn't need to do anything.

We had a jolly old chat - she was very friendly and nice and even went away to check. They had received an e-mail "yesterday" (which would be 11 June) about it.

The upshot is, if you had bookings that were cancelled and it would have put you up to a higher level, they are apparently being taken into account. Either way I'm going to sit tight until my extension is processed and also see if my status changes. If not, I'll call again as she said more than once that she was certain (and then confirmed it) that they would take the cancelled flights into account.
littlefish likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold (OneWorld Emerald)
'Thanks for doing that. Why on earth couldn't BA have come up with some examples instead of sending out misleading emails?
I'd replace even if they have not met the criteria with even if they have already met the criteria because this appears to be the main point of contention;'

WIll make a small change to 'whether they have met the criteria or not' to cover all bases!
Old Jun 13, 2020, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Gold member Marriott Platinum
Anyone have any idea\info on when this change will be made to extend card expiry? Realising this is just take card expiry +12 months but BA IT seem incapable of even the simplest tasks at the best of times!

checked today and my account is the same
Old Jun 13, 2020, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by danboy767
Anyone have any idea\info on when this change will be made to extend card expiry? Realising this is just take card expiry +12 months but BA IT seem incapable of even the simplest tasks at the best of times!

checked today and my account is the same
Extensions will be applied in the next two weeks from when the announcement was made on 11 June. So it should appear by 25 June.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 4:15 am

Not trying to muddy the waters but I am a June renewal and I got the email on Thursday morning, it was how I found out about it.
Genius1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.