Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2020, 6:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jonnyboy1977
Are they giving everyone 30% reduction on their current year and then 25% on the subsequent? This would actually make a lot of sense.
it should only be a 30% reduction for those who had year ends of apr/may/jun 2020.

for year ends july 2020 to june 2021 it is a 25% reduction.
Jonnyboy1977 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 6:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
Originally Posted by KARFA
well nothing yet since they haven’t processed anything so far. When they do you will be upgraded to golds since you are above the 25% reduced threshold.
Ok, thanks KARFA. I assume it will be until 2022.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 6:21 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA
it should only be a 30% reduction for those who had year ends of apr/may/jun 2020.

for year ends july 2020 to june 2021 it is a 25% reduction.
Ok, well at least we know for sure the reduction applies to the current year too.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Have a sneaky feeling these are interim data patches that BA does to its system to prepare for the full system refresh on the first Sunday after the 8th of every month.
2100 Tier Point threshold has gone again (back to a target of 3000 TP to retain GGL) from my account so suspect you are correct here.
TGflyergirl likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver
I received the email but I haven't seen my executive club info update on the website, has anyone else or are they doing it month by month?
Old Jun 13, 2020, 6:39 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by LJEDI
I received the email but I haven't seen my executive club info update on the website, has anyone else or are they doing it month by month?
It's happening over the next two weeks.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Ive mentioned a couple times now, but as this thread is quite lenghty and growing by the minute .

for the Junes out there,(that's all I can definitely confirm) is that BA explicitly explained to us by email (GGL team) the following. Just Junes thats I all know for sure.

We qualified before June 8 2020, with a collection period to 8 June 2020 year. The renewal was not an upgrade , but renewal at previous tier. It was though at the discounted 30% level, (april may june discount).

The app and BA.com may say you have only renewed to 2021 and the extra year doesn't include you. Mine also says that and saying 2100 needed to retain GGL by 2021.

The app itself though ,will for us, update 'before' or latest at the date' the card expires July 2020, not the date of collection period June 2020. The new date at that stage will be 2022.

Now the app is causing the confusion. Its just the way the IT works BA told me. A glitch as such they said.

So in reality, the outcomes will all follow what BA said in their announcement . The lack of emails for Junes (some anyway) was not a glitch and BA should have planned for that. No doubt I was not the only June who didn't get an email.
TGflyergirl likes this.

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Jun 13, 2020 at 7:04 am Reason: april may june levels!
Old Jun 13, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by Mike P
2100 Tier Point threshold has gone again (back to a target of 3000 TP to retain GGL) from my account so suspect you are correct here.
Mine has reverted back to 1,500 from being 1,050 for a few hours!
Old Jun 13, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Interestingly, I am supposed to drop to Silver (June TP expiry, with card expiring at end of July). It was my understanding that my new silver status would be extended to June/July 2022.

However, on the app my virtual Gold card is now showing expiry of July 31 2021. I did not reach the threshold (standard nor reduced) to naturally hit gold before June 8th.

Looking forward to seeing if this sticks!
Old Jun 13, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ManchesterBAFlyer
I think they have made this complicated and it doesn’t need to be. Have spoken to BA and trawled through loads of blogs, so 99.99% sure this is correct:
  1. Take your status on the day of the announcement - 11 June 2020.*
  2. This status will last you 12 further months than your current tier year & expiry date. If you already earned enough tier points for that to happen anyway, then you don’t really benefit.
  3. You need to start earning tier points from your next tier year end after 11 June 2020 to maintain status for the following year. Tier points earned before then could get you a status upgrade, but you are guaranteed not to drop, so if you're not likely to earn enough to get an upgrade to your status, they are essentially useless other than as lifetime tier points.
  4. If that next tier year ends before 8 July 2022, you only need 75% of the usual number of tier points to requalify or upgrade.
* If you were on course to be downgraded on 30 June or 31 July 2020 due to missing a threshold, you need to base the extension on the lower status (for example, if you didn't make Gold, you'd soft land to Silver and the extension would be based on this). It should only be these people who didn't receive an email, although BA's mailing lists are not always the most reliable.
I think you are correct. If you've had an email stating you have received a 12 month extension all you need to do is look at the BAEC status and end date that you had on 11th June and add 12 months on.

Obviously renewals and upgrades work differently, so to give an examples of 2 people who have TP cut off dates of 8th September, and who collected 1500 TP's in the first 3 months of their current collection year:
  • Member A started the year with gold status and on 11th June his BAEC status was gold until 31st October 2020. When he get his 12 months extension his gold status will last until October 2021, so the extension he would have rceived due to collecting 1500 points will run in parallel with the the BA offer.
  • Member B started the year with silver status and his BAEC status initially said Silver until 31st October 2020. When he got to 1500 TP's he was upgraded to gold, for the remainer of the current collection year, and the following year (up to 31st October 2021). When he recived the email on 11th June his his status was gold until 31st October 2021, and that would have been extended by 12 months to 31st October 2022.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 7:38 am
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
Having just read them all, I can see that the 800 posts give a very confusing picture. The earlier consensus of the posts changed dramatically in the later posts. I will wait to see if BA does what it says in its offer.

The offer seems to be very astute in both marketing terms and financially.

The extra year giveaway is an opportunity for you to obtain something you've already bought. The TP reduction giveaway generates sales up to a year earlier.

Brilliant marketing and financial planning.

The extra year offer gives the same number of Gold status months as I would have had under the previous arrangement. Indeed, having projected forward to 2027 I conclude that I will gain more Gold status months for the same travel if I do not avail myself of the TP reduction offer.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Agent69
  • Member B started the year with silver status and his BAEC status initially said Silver until 31st October 2020. When he got to 1500 TP's he was upgraded to gold, for the remainer of the current collection year, and the following year (up to 31st October 2021). When he recived the email on 11th June his his status was gold until 31st October 2021, and that would have been extended by 12 months to 31st October 2022.
Yes! This is exactly my situation. Currently have a Gold Card with an expiry of 31st Oct 2021. So expecting an extension to 31st Oct 2022. I hope it’s true.

But isn’t that exactly what half of people here are saying won’t happen? “If you’ve earned the status already in this membership year then you won’t get the extension.”
Old Jun 13, 2020, 7:39 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
Ive mentioned a couple times now, but as this thread is quite lenghty and growing by the minute .

for the Junes out there,(that's all I can definitely confirm) is that BA explicitly explained to us by email (GGL team) the following. Just Junes thats I all know for sure.

We qualified before June 8 2020, with a collection period to 8 June 2020 year. The renewal was not an upgrade , but renewal at previous tier. It was though at the discounted 30% level, (april may june discount).

The app and BA.com may say you have only renewed to 2021 and the extra year doesn't include you. Mine also says that and saying 2100 needed to retain GGL by 2021.

The app itself though ,will for us, update 'before' or latest at the date' the card expires July 2020, not the date of collection period June 2020. The new date at that stage will be 2022.

Now the app is causing the confusion. Its just the way the IT works BA told me. A glitch as such they said.

So in reality, the outcomes will all follow what BA said in their announcement . The lack of emails for Junes (some anyway) was not a glitch and BA should have planned for that. No doubt I was not the only June who didn't get an email.

> I was GGL and had around 2050 TP worth of flights booked flown/cancelled before my membership year end on June 8th , before the lock down on March had flown only 1000 TP. As of now I was told I am downgraded to Silver . I usually fly around 5k-6k TP in a year for the past 4 years and majority of it is during the first 6 months of the year. This year with show cancellations country shutdowns it has made any flying impossible. Sent a message to BA lets see what they say.

Kind of unlucky and unfair that July onwards gets to keep a full 12 months while April, May and June did not get the 12 month extension of their status as of their membership year expiry. The countries I fly to have their borders shut since early March so ..... Sent a message to BA lets see what they say.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by baflyer123
> I was GGL and had around 2050 TP worth of flights booked flown/cancelled before my membership year end on June 8th , before the lock down on March had flown only 1000 TP. As of now I was told I am downgraded to Silver . I usually fly around 5k-6k TP in a year for the past 4 years and majority of it is during the first 6 months of the year. This year with show cancellations country shutdowns it has made any flying impossible. Sent a message to BA lets see what they say.

Kind of unlucky and unfair that July onwards gets to keep a full 12 months while April, May and June did not get the 12 month extension of their status as of their membership year expiry. The countries I fly to have their borders shut since early March so ..... Sent a message to BA lets see what they say.
I would have done the same. Good luck.

Edit to add . Some people on here FT have said they have been credited for cancelled flights. So if you had 2050 flown and/or were cancelled by BA and a June end, you were only short by 50 TP. As you would have got the 30% discount.

You may stand a good chance especially longevity.

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Jun 13, 2020 at 8:10 am
Old Jun 13, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
to further muddy the waters ... just checked my account and i’m showing 2100 to retain GGL - which is 30% “off” and not 25% as advertised. Was showing 3000 needed yesterday and I have 0 to my name as i’ve only just been renewed
mine still says 3,000 more needed...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.