Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2020, 8:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Agent69
Why doesn't somebody with a status upgrade benefit as per my post 790?
For the same reason as someone who already got enough TPs to maintain their usual level: they already have qualified. This extension helps those who have not qualified.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 8:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Nephoi
i get lost in translation here. "next tier year" is the one thats running right now or the one that follows after the current one? (is there anyone whos "current" year ends after 8 July 2022?)
Everybody gets that 75% year. The reason for using the word "next" is because it doesn't apply to their current year.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Everybody gets that 75% year. The reason for using the word "next" is because it doesn't apply to their current year.
​​​​​​BA have already told me it does.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jonnyboy1977
BA told me that my TP wont reset next May and I have a 24 months period to collect.... and thats obviously not true either.

i just see it coming that i have 3750 TP by next April and wont earn GGL for the first time ever and will be sad....
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Jonnyboy1977
You may be taking it slightly out of context: the summary I gave was "how to renew my next year?" = 75% reduced thresholds. You are perhaps bolting on a different question "how do I upgrade or renew this year?"
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
I'm pretty clear about the 25% reduction applying in the Tier Point collection year following the extension. In my case I was GGL/CCR until March 8th 2021 and because of the extension I now have GGL/CCR status until March 8th 2022 (card end April 30th 2022). I therefore need to earn 3750 Tier Points starting on March 9th 2021 to re-qualify from 2022 onwards. This is clear and fits with your definition of 'next'.

Where the reduced Tier Point thresholds appear to apply in the 'current' year is where people want to move up tiers. Don't they therefore benefit during their 'current' collection year from the 25% reduction?
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: BA GGL
You may be taking it slightly out of context: the summary I gave was "how to renew my next year?" = 75% reduced thresholds. You are perhaps bolting on a different question "how do I upgrade or renew this year?"
Yes absolutely, I was just confused we are treating second years any different when they have the same reduction as the current
littlefish likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Mike P
I'm pretty clear about the 25% reduction applying in the Tier Point collection year following the extension. In my case I was GGL/CCR until March 8th 2021 and because of the extension I now have GGL/CCR status until March 8th 2022 (card end April 30th 2022). I therefore need to earn 3750 Tier Points starting on March 9th 2021 to re-qualify from 2022 onwards. This is clear and fits with your definition of 'next'.

Where the reduced Tier Point thresholds appear to apply in the 'current' year is where people want to move up tiers. Don't they therefore benefit during their 'current' collection year from the 25% reduction?
Yes, that's right. The points I put above are about how if you start from the top point you work out what happens to you. But yes, if you want to upgrade status, then currently it is on lower thresholds (but which won't go on forever)
Mike P and Nephoi like this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
For the same reason as someone who already got enough TPs to maintain their usual level: they already have qualified. This extension helps those who have not qualified.
Why? I have a Gold Card with an expiry date of 31 Nov 2021 and I did receive the email to say “we’ve added 12 months extra onto your Gold Executive Club membership“.
stephenjc likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
I would say even if you have managed to requalify it would be fair for BA to provide an extension as you’ve not been able to utilise your status for a good chunk of the year.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by ChemicalWoody
Why? I have a Gold Card with an expiry date of 31 Nov 2021 and I did receive the email to say “we’ve added 12 months extra onto your Gold Executive Club membership“.
So you have qualified for 2021 twice over, once under the offer and once for either gaining Gold or renewing Gold early. The extension helps those who would struggle to hit Gold, something that hasn't affected you or me, however you benefit it being easier to continue being Gold from 1 December 2021.
ChemicalWoody likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by gliderpilot
I would say even if you have managed to requalify it would be fair for BA to provide an extension as you’ve not been able to utilise your status for a good chunk of the year.
I can deploy my Whiskas argument if you like, since utilising status is less interesting to BA than booking tickets, but in any event the options to fly from 1 July are greatly higher than from 1 April, May or June, as things stand.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Nephoi
i just see it coming that i have 3750 TP by next April and wont earn GGL for the first time ever and will be sad....
I hope we see the kind of relaxation in travel restrictions that you’re clearly expecting.
T8191 and Nephoi like this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
So you have qualified for 2021 twice over, once under the offer and once for either gaining Gold or renewing Gold early. The extension helps those who would struggle to hit Gold, something that hasn't affected you or me, however you benefit it being easier to continue being Gold from 1 December 2021.
This goes back to my first post when I mentioned the legal mantra 'the words mean what they say'.

In the example given by Chemicalwoody, the words say that prior to the email he was gold until 31st November 2021, and the words in the email say 12 months will be added to this. Where does it say that something different will happen?
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: OW
Originally Posted by DrGee
This is my main area of confusion. Others are saying quite the opposite, that those re-qualifying at their current tier will indeed get an extra year through to 2022. Maybe someone can point to the condition that states those already re-qualifying in the current year for next will not get the promised extra 12 months.
Firstly a big thank you to ManchesterBAFlyer for this simple guide to the changes. I've been through it carefully and made some calls, and it seems accurate to me. ManchesterBAFlyer has put 4 scenarios afterwards and I think they cover most of the queries raised so far, bearing in mind that though Gold was used in the examples, it actually applies to other status levels too. Click here for the full post.

I am going to do a slightly amended version.
  1. Take your status on the day of the announcement - 11 June 2020.
  2. This status will last you 12 further months than your current tier year and expiry date. If you already earned enough tier points for that to happen anyway, or had a recent status upgrade, then you don’t benefit from the extension.
  3. You need to start earning tier points from your next tier year end after 11 June 2020 to maintain status for the following year. Tier points earned before then could get you a status upgrade, but you are guaranteed not to drop if you don't earn any or many tier points. So if you're not likely to earn enough to get an upgrade to your status, they are essentially useless other than adding to your lifetime tier points.
  4. If that next tier year ends before 8 July 2022, you only need 75% of the usual number of tier points to requalify or upgrade.
  5. If your tier year was 8 May or 8 June 2020 and you are due to drop a level, this announcement doesn't save you from the drop, unless you qualify under the lower thresholds or on a case-by-case basis where BAEC accept your cancelled reservations as evidence you would have made the thresholds. If you are OK with the lower level drop, then you benefit from renewal at that level without needing to earn TPs in the year ahead of you, see point 3.
  6. Note that though there is a waiver on eligible flights in the extension scenarios, you still need them for upgrading a level and for renewing that upgrade.
So in essence
- not everyone benefits from an extension, for example you've already earned enough to qualify or have upgraded your status
- everyone benefits from a year of reduced thresholds for one renewal.
- everyone - except some GGLs - benefit from lower threasholds for upgrade possibilities.
This is extremely helpful, but is there also a collective view on TP earned in the intervening period between 11 June and your next tier year end which result in one crossing a 25% discounted threshold but not a non-discounted threshold?

Do you move up a tier immediately (or on your next tier year end); and assuming you do move up a tier, is this treated in the same way as if you were the new higher tier on 11 June?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.