Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Old Jun 13, 20, 9:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Firstly a big thank you to ManchesterBAFlyer for this simple guide to the changes. I've been through it carefully and made some calls, and it seems accurate to me. ManchesterBAFlyer has put 4 scenarios afterwards and I think they cover most of the queries raised so far, bearing in mind that though Gold was used in the examples, it actually applies to other status levels too. Click here for the full post.

Originally Posted by ManchesterBAFlyer View Post
  1. Take your status on the day of the announcement - 11 June 2020.*
  2. This status will last you 12 further months than your current tier year & expiry date. If you already earned enough tier points for that to happen anyway, then you don’t really benefit. [...]
I am going to do a slightly amended version which should help you work out what happens to you, points 1 to 4 inclusive are the important ones.
  1. Take your status on the day of the announcement - 11 June 2020.
  2. This status will last you 12 further months than your current tier year and expiry date. If you already earned enough tier points for that to happen anyway, or had a recent status upgrade, then you don’t benefit from the extension.
  3. You need to start earning tier points from your next tier year end after 11 June 2020 to maintain status for the following year. Tier points earned before then could get you a status upgrade or GUF, but you are guaranteed not to drop if you don't earn any or many tier points. So if you're not likely to earn enough to get an upgrade to your status or earn a GUF, they are essentially useless other than adding to your lifetime tier points.
  4. If that next tier year ends on or before 8 June 2022, you only need 75% of the usual number of tier points to requalify or upgrade.
  5. If your tier year was 8 May or 8 June 2020 and you are due to drop a level, this announcement doesn't save you from the drop, unless you qualify under the lower thresholds or on a case-by-case basis where BAEC accept your cancelled reservations as evidence you would have made the thresholds. If you are OK with the lower level drop, then you benefit from renewal at that level without needing to earn TPs in the year ahead of you, see point 3.
  6. Note that though there is a waiver on eligible flights in the extension scenarios, you still need them for upgrading a level and for renewing that upgrade.
  7. Gold Upgrade (GUF) vouchers and GGL tier point based rewards continue at the old TP levels, no reduction has been made there.
So in essence
- not everyone benefits from an extension in all circumstances, for example - and depending on the timings - you've already earned enough to qualify or have upgraded your status
- but everyone benefits from a year of reduced thresholds for one renewal.
- and everyone - except those GGLs who already have Concorde Cards - can benefit from lower threasholds for upgrade possibilities.

BA has said that it will take up to 2 weeks - so until the end of June 2020 - for your BAEC tracker, in the App or BA.com - to reflect any changes.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jun 16, 20 at 2:21 am
Old Jun 13, 20, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Firstly a big thank you to ManchesterBAFlyer for this simple guide to the changes. I've been through it carefully and made some calls, and it seems accurate to me. ManchesterBAFlyer has put 4 scenarios afterwards and I think they cover most of the queries raised so far, bearing in mind that though Gold was used in the examples, it actually applies to other status levels too. Click here for the full post.

I am going to do a slightly amended version.
  1. Take your status on the day of the announcement - 11 June 2020.
  2. This status will last you 12 further months than your current tier year and expiry date. If you already earned enough tier points for that to happen anyway, or had a recent status upgrade, then you dont benefit from the extension.
  3. You need to start earning tier points from your next tier year end after 11 June 2020 to maintain status for the following year. Tier points earned before then could get you a status upgrade, but you are guaranteed not to drop if you don't earn any or many tier points. So if you're not likely to earn enough to get an upgrade to your status, they are essentially useless other than adding to your lifetime tier points.
  4. If that next tier year ends before 8 July 2022, you only need 75% of the usual number of tier points to requalify or upgrade.
  5. If your tier year was 8 May or 8 June 2020 and you are due to drop a level, this announcement doesn't save you from the drop, unless you qualify under the lower thresholds or on a case-by-case basis where BAEC accept your cancelled reservations as evidence you would have made the thresholds. If you are OK with the lower level drop, then you benefit from renewal at that level without needing to earn TPs in the year ahead of you, see point 3.
  6. Note that though there is a waiver on eligible flights in the extension scenarios, you still need them for upgrading a level and for renewing that upgrade.
So in essence
- not everyone benefits from an extension, for example you've already earned enough to qualify or have upgraded your status
- everyone benefits from a year of reduced thresholds for one renewal.
- everyone - except some GGLs - benefit from lower threasholds for upgrade possibilities.
Why doesn't somebody with a status upgrade benefit as per my post 790?
Old Jun 13, 20, 9:22 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Agent69 View Post
Why doesn't somebody with a status upgrade benefit as per my post 790?
It's because it is Oct 2021, I believe. And month isn't included in BA policy

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Jun 13, 20 at 9:31 am
Old Jun 13, 20, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Am I Correct?

I am currently GGL . My Tier year ends on 8 December 2020. I currently have 940 TPs and am unkilely to get the 3000 required to renew. I have received the email saying my status has been extended by 12 months.AS I will not reach the normal renewal requirement then over the next two weeks my GGL status date will be amended to 8 December 2021 and card expirt to 31 Jnuary 2022. . For the year 9 December 2021 to 8 December 2022 I will only need to acheive 2250 TPs to renew my GGL status.
Am I correct in my assumptions?

Many thanks
Old Jun 13, 20, 9:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by col747uk View Post
I am currently GGL . My Tier year ends on 8 December 2020. I currently have 940 TPs and am unkilely to get the 3000 required to renew. I have received the email saying my status has been extended by 12 months.AS I will not reach the normal renewal requirement then over the next two weeks my GGL status date will be amended to 8 December 2021 and card expirt to 31 Jnuary 2022. . For the year 9 December 2021 to 8 December 2022 I will only need to acheive 2250 TPs to renew my GGL status.
Am I correct in my assumptions?

Many thanks
That all sounds correct to me.
Old Jun 13, 20, 9:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post

If that next tier year ends before 8 July 2022, you only need 75% of the usual number of tier points to requalify or upgrade..

i get lost in translation here. "next tier year" is the one thats running right now or the one that follows after the current one? (is there anyone whos "current" year ends after 8 July 2022?)
Old Jun 13, 20, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by Nephoi View Post
i get lost in translation here. "next tier year" is the one thats running right now or the one that follows after the current one? (is there anyone whos "current" year ends after 8 July 2022?)
It means if your next full tier year ends before 8 July 2022. You carry forward your current status from your current/in progress year into the next full one - where you also get the 25% off threshold.
Old Jun 13, 20, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Nephoi View Post
My understanding is that it is the following one. Imagine someone with a June 8th Tier Point collection year end. They have just entered their 'current' Tier Point collection year which runs from June 9th 2020 through June 8th 2021 and will then benefit from a year long extension from June 9th 2021 through to June 8th 2022; call this the 'next Tier Point collection year'. During this second period, they will need to accrue 75% of the normal number of Tier Points to retain status from August 1st 2023.
Old Jun 13, 20, 9:34 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
My understanding is that it is the following one. Imagine someone with a June 8th Tier Point collection year end. They have just entered their 'current' Tier Point collection year which runs from June 9th 2020 through June 8th 2021 and will then benefit from a year long extension from June 9th 2021 through to June 8th 2022; call this the 'next Tier Point collection year'. During this second period, they will need to accrue 75% of the normal number of Tier Points to retain status from August 1st 2023.
Would the 25% reduction not apply to the current year too?
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jun 13, 20, 9:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jonnyboy1977 View Post
Would the 25% reduction not apply to the current year too?
and why should the 25% reduction count to the next year beginning somewhen in 2021? nobody can tell how travelling will be then... why only 75% thresholds when travelling may be close to normal...
Old Jun 13, 20, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I’m sure the answer is buried somewhere up-Thread, but where do we stand regarding the required number of qualifying flights for renewal?

Disregard ... found it!
You don’t need to have met the minimum eligible flights requirement to benefit from the 12-month extension, which is being applied to those memberships with Tier Point collection end dates of July 2020 – June 2021.

The eligible flights requirement will apply for members to qualify for the 25% Tier threshold reduction in order to upgrade, or subsequently renew their membership for the following year.
crazyarmadillo likes this.

Last edited by T8191; Jun 13, 20 at 9:51 am
Old Jun 13, 20, 9:44 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Sorry to ask this but still confused a bit-- my collection year ended 08JUN, and I did already get the 450 TPs for Silver.
My card already said the Card Expiry is July 31 2021.
Does that mean that it'll now be July 31 2022?
A little confused since they'd already extended the May and June collection year people.
Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 20, 9:45 am

Good point. I was working on the premise that someone's status remained the same when I put that example up. Partly personal bias as I'm GGL / CCR so can't go anywhere but down! I do think it holds for the scenario I described however.

The 25% reduction definitely applies to upgrading during the current year. Can one benefit from the lower Tier Point thresholds in two years? I don't know the answer to that one I'm afraid.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jun 13, 20, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by kyushuman View Post
Sorry to ask this but still confused a bit-- my collection year ended 08JUN, and I did already get the 450 TPs for Silver.
A little confused since they'd already extended the May and June collection year people.
Thanks!
That's correct, whatever your card expiry is now will have an additional year added to it sometime in the next two weeks.
Old Jun 13, 20, 9:48 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by kyushuman View Post
Thanks!
Yes if you are june 8 2020 collection date end and renewed silver, then yes you will get extended and your card will show July 2022, subject to BA IT.

This may not show up in the app until your card expires July 2020.

Search this Thread