Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
I've got a plan. Collection year end was 8th March and I just made the cut. I have two companion vouchers and > 250,000 Avios (not much in the scheme of things here, but enough for the plan). What this means I can do is burn Avios and vouchers on 2 x 125k trips in the coming year without worrying about those "0 Tier Points" bookings, then focus on March 21 - March 22 for the revenue trips.

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this, so I wonder what is going to happen to reward availability over the next couple of months? :-)
T8191 and jonr405 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by Bobdh13
GOOD NEWS!

My tier points: 2,185 (so had already qualified for Gold)
Year ends: 08 Sept 2020
Card expiry date: 31 Oct 2021

Just got a reply from BA:
Dear Mr X

Thank you for getting in touch with us about your membership status.

I have checked your account, and I'm happy to say that your membership at Gold will renew for another year, until October 2022. Your new expiry date will update on your account shortly after the end of your current Tier Point collection year.
Now if this is indeed correct then the process is, as I said earlier, the same as what was applyed with the IT meltdown extensions. hopefully we will find out when those who got the required TPs report what actually happens on their renewal dates.

This thread is now a total nightmare......
DrGee and george77300 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Bobdh13
GOOD NEWS!

My tier points: 2,185 (so had already qualified for Gold)
Year ends: 08 Sept 2020
Card expiry date: 31 Oct 2021

Just got a reply from BA:
I am in the same boat as you. Thought I’d get nothing. How did you contact them to get a response so quickly? Twitter, email or the contact form?
Old Jun 12, 2020, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by internetplumber
I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this, so I wonder what is going to happen to reward availability over the next couple of months? :-)
Had a quick look at a couple of possibles for later this year. Not a huge amount of availability where I was looking, but I completely agree with your thinking on TP-free trips!
internetplumber likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Mike P
Someone with a year end of July 8th 2020 who has enough Tier Points from the current year to re-qualify as Gold will have to start earning Tier Points from July 9th 2020. Said person will have to earn 1125 Tier Points before July 8th 2021 or they will drop to Silver.
And hopefully that someone will be able to re-qualify on their own by July 8th 2021. BA reacted to what is going on now. We don't know what the future holds. If the current situation when flying is almost non-existent continues for much longer, BA may respond again and cover those who need to, but can't, re-qualify by a future date. When it comes to those BAEC members not being able to collect the lowered number of TPs because flying is still very much limited or impossible, then we'll talk if they lost out. As things seem to be, right now it's about those who can't re-qualify on their own.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Andriyko
And hopefully that someone will be able to re-qualify on their own by July 8th 2021. BA reacted to what is going on now. We don't know what the future holds. If the current situation when flying is almost non-existent continues for much longer, BA may respond again and cover those who need to, but can't, re-qualify by a future date. When it comes to those BAEC members not being able to collect the lowered number of TPs because flying is still very much limited or impossible, then we'll talk if they lost out. As things seem to be, right now it's about those who can't re-qualify on their own.
You've quoted part of my original post which removes the context of it completely in order to try and justify your point; I don't find that very helpful. The point I was making was that the policy vastly favours someone with a June year end over a July year end when the reality is that the latter is likely to have very little more 'normal' flying time to be able to 're-qualify on their own' than the former.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Follow-up from the 'does the 25% count for this year?' debate

I emailed to confirm

"Are you saying that there is no clear TP number for me to aim for this year and to stay tuned? We are half-way through the year, meaning I only have 5 months left to plan my travel to achieve GGL.
To confirm, for me to assure GGL in this current year, I would need to get 5000 TP?"

Once again, they are clearly unsure, and the answers are ambiguous as always.. I am going to assume 3750 and will argue with them at year end if they fight it.
Jonnyboy1977 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
A quick question if I may, as I think there is some confusion floating around as to what people mean by their expiry.

Do you mean:

A) It currently says on your account/virtual card that your expiry is "30 Nov 2021"
B) It currently says on your account/virtual card that your expiry is "30 Nov 2020" but you quote Nov 2021 because you have already retained status in this (Oct19-Oct20) period

Thanks in advance
My account, virtual card and real card all quote November 2021.

I let my silver status lapse on October 8th 2019, and by Nov 2019 I was back to silver, and the by Jan 2020 I'd gained enough for gold for the first time. So, got it for this year and the next year.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Mike P
You've quoted part of my original post which removes the context of it completely in order to try and justify your point; I don't find that very helpful. The point I was making was that the policy vastly favours someone with a June year end over a July year end when the reality is that the latter is likely to have very little more 'normal' flying time to be able to 're-qualify on their own' than the former.
I am sorry, I did not mean to distort what you wanted to say. I apologize if I did. But it seems you still can't hear me either. I selectively quoted you to say that BA wanted to help those most in need (so to say). They had to make a cut off at some point, and they chose those whose membership year ended in June. BA may come back to re-evaluating whether those whose membership year ends in July or August or September of 2021 need help as well. Yes, right now the assumption is that those whose membership year ends after June 2021 will be able to collect the necessary TPs on their own. It is just an assumption. You can't make it an open-ended extension though, as far as I can see. If the situation continues and those whose TPs collection years happens to be after 06/21 can't collect enough TPs and BA does not do anything, then, yes, they will have lost.
Mike P likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Thanks stephenjc, I was asking as (at that time in the thread) there seemed to a lot of uncertainty over different dates etc. I'm not sure it's that much clearer now!

As someone who stepped up in status, I think you're a clear winner here, w.r.t. outcomes I know many people say Silver is the sweet spot, but I'm glad you'll be able to enjoy Gold for a good length of time, you may find it addictive
stephenjc likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Nephoi
I just got off the phone with German BA. The lady called in the UK earlier today and told me that:

- there will be no point reset for me on May 8th 2021 and my current year will run thru 2022 and I have to earn 3750 for GGL in that timeframe (some 21 months)... I don't know if that's right.
Interesting... I have the same TP collection year end and had assumed what you had been told, but others further up the thread today told me that I had assumed wrongly.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
Follow-up from the 'does the 25% count for this year?' debate

I emailed to confirm

"Are you saying that there is no clear TP number for me to aim for this year and to stay tuned? We are half-way through the year, meaning I only have 5 months left to plan my travel to achieve GGL.
To confirm, for me to assure GGL in this current year, I would need to get 5000 TP?"

Once again, they are clearly unsure, and the answers are ambiguous as always.. I am going to assume 3750 and will argue with them at year end if they fight it.
Thanks for the update.

I'm guessing/hoping that this is because the situation is still ongoing in terms of when we can start flying again. I would be very disappointed to say the least if there were no reductions for this year as this would essentially mean I would have gained absolutely nothing from all this.

​​​​
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I am sorry, I did not mean to distort what you wanted to say. I apologize if I did. But it seems you still can't hear me either. I selectively quoted you to say that BA wanted to help those most in need (so to say). They had to make a cut off at some point, and they chose those whose membership year ended in June. BA may come back to re-evaluating whether those whose membership year ends in July or August or September of 2021 need help as well. Yes, right now the assumption is that those whose membership year ends after June 2021 will be able to collect the necessary TPs on their own. It is just an assumption. You can't make it an open-ended extension though, as far as I can see. If the situation continues and those whose TPs collection years happens to be after 06/21 can't collect enough TPs and BA does not do anything, then, yes, they will have lost.
No problem at all. I do get your point and I do agree that the point here is that BA needed to help people who have been unable to earn status due to the inability to fly. I think the issue is down to when the policy has been announced rather than a proactive choice of dates. By announcing the policy after June 8th, it helps those people with June year ends disproportionately in comparison with July year ends when the reality is that both are likely to be in much the same boat when it comes to the ability to fly or not.

If I take my own situation, I renewed GGL / CCR with a March year end and have not been able to fly since. My status has been extended to the end of April 2022 and I don't need to earn a single Tier Point before March 9th 2021. I will then need to earn 3750 Tier Points from March 9th 2021 and before March 8th 2022 to ensure continuity of status for the following year. That feels very fair and equitable given how difficult it is likely to be to travel normally during 2020.

If I contrast this with someone with a July 8th year end who also has already re-qualified for GGL / CCR with the C5500 Tier Points I had, they will have earned status valid until the end of August 2021. They will need to start earning Tier Points from July 9th 2020 and earn 3750 to retain GGL / CCR status from Sept 1st 2021. That theoretical person is hugely disadvantaged in comparison with my own situation as to earn C300 Tier Points a month from July 2020 is going to be difficult to say the least.
Andriyko and orbitmic like this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Jonnyboy1977
Thanks for the update.

I'm guessing/hoping that this is because the situation is still ongoing in terms of when we can start flying again. I would be very disappointed to say the least if there were no reductions for this year as this would essentially mean I would have gained absolutely nothing from all this.

​​​​
Yep.. Again the logic, if they were to be super generous is 8.3% discount per month! I'd settle and be happy with the 30% flat they gave, or even the 25%.. If there's no reduction at all, my cost per TP over the next 5 months is going to go sky high to squeeze it all in. Nephoi Can you book me something for 2k TP and £1000?
Jonnyboy1977 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
Yep.. Again the logic, if they were to be super generous is 8.3% discount per month! I'd settle and be happy with the 30% flat they gave, or even the 25%.. If there's no reduction at all, my cost per TP over the next 5 months is going to go sky high to squeeze it all in. Nephoi Can you book me something for 2k TP and £1000?
im headed to Abu Dhabi in October so might have to do the old Abu Dhabi to Jakarta run on Sri lankan
jjLDNY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.