Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2020, 7:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
My replacement GGL cards arrived today. Maybe I should frame them, along with my unused CCR card. As an August refugee I'll not be requalifying
I still think there will be more developments for those with July and August renewal dates.
Tobias-UK and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 11:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by golfmad
I still think there will be more developments for those with July and August renewal dates.
...not relying on it given the many more illustrious people on this board who have already been told that they aren't going to be helped !
Old Nov 26, 2020, 11:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by golfmad
I certainly hope so (as someone with an August birthday), but I'm not holding my breath.

I fully expect to become BAEC Silver next September. Flying out of Australia next year (and more to the point, returning) may not be that easy.

And then, I also need to do something to maintain my Qantas status...
HighwayToHEL and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
As I mentioned upthread, BA would probably not be the leader extending status one more time and BA would not reconsider extending status 7-8 months ago the expiry date in a situation where they don't even know where could passengers fly in February or March. They might reconsider another extension/reduction closer to July 8 where the first impacted members would drop status if they don't meet the current reduced thresholds. ( My prediction would be May or June depending on how the situation evolves ).

FlyingBlue would have members whose status is going to expire in March 2021 and they haven't still taken action yet. Their website has the generic message that we are looking at the evolving situation and if so, we would make a decision at a later stage. ( I am mentioning FB as their format is similar to BAEC and does not have a calendar year format )

I totally understand that the situation is frustrating but BA doesn't know how the future would look nor do us.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As BA has shown time and time again, they are the laggards in regards to status extensions, and have been since day one. As was documented in real time BA was behind almost every other major carrier in making such decisions, and my guess is that they will continue to be.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by KARFA
yes it will be, if your year end is 8 October 2020 you are in the range from the quote above, you will get a 1 year extension of status, your new card expiry will be 30 November 2022.

My year ended 8th October. I received a renewal pack for GGL, but the new expiry date is 11/21, NOT 11/22. No mention at all in the letter about the one year extension.
No CCR card either. knowing that they usually don't have the CCR status in their systems, and given that I am actually planning to be flying in the near future and needing the CCR card, should I contact them to ask what's going on?
Old Nov 30, 2020, 6:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mikebg
My year ended 8th October. I received a renewal pack for GGL, but the new expiry date is 11/21, NOT 11/22. No mention at all in the letter about the one year extension.
No CCR card either. knowing that they usually don't have the CCR status in their systems, and given that I am actually planning to be flying in the near future and needing the CCR card, should I contact them to ask what's going on?
did you requalify for ggl anyway based on TP earnings in your 9 nov 2019 to 8 nov 2020 year?
Old Nov 30, 2020, 6:39 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
did you requalify for ggl anyway based on TP earnings in your 9 nov 2019 to 8 nov 2020 year?
Under the new reduced thresholds, yes.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 6:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by firstlight
...not relying on it given the many more illustrious people on this board who have already been told that they aren't going to be helped !
Who was told this?
Old Nov 30, 2020, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Who was told this?
BertieBadger in post #2275
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Many people have not had their status extended, indeed I have been told explicitly by BA that mine was not and would not be. But perhaps you misread my point, or more likely I did not express myself clearly - it is not about whether people have "lost", but rather whether there are members whose loyalty was taken for granted, and it seems to me that many will feel exactly that way. The presumption from BA appears to be that because many people re-qualified early, they were spending at a rate that they would continue to do so and retain their status organically. Meanwhile others who had been busy shovelling money into the coffers of BA's competitors would be gifted a free year. Everyone is of course entitled to their own conclusion on whether this demonstrates BA taking loyalty for granted, but I would not be surprised to find that many do.

(Yes, "loyalty" is arguably a misused word for what is ultimately a transactional relationship, however it is one that BA are very fond of so it seems fair to use it in the same manner they do)

A generous appraisal to be sure! Based on some of the comments on this thread, some people found it downright disingenuous, rather than merely clumsily worded. And if it is simply a poor choice of words, why not send out another email saying what they actually meant? To my knowledge they never did. But again this is not about whether people feel hard done by, or whether they "lost out" but whether BA's policies are consistent with their statement that they do not take members' loyalty for granted.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Unfortunately, 11/21 is right. I'm a July year end, and I was 'extended' to 8/21, although I had enough TPs to renew prior to the extension. It was the 8 June year ends who had renewed to 7/21 prior to the 'extension' in mid-June and were then extended to 7/22 that scored bigtime.
mikebg is now entering the 25% reduction requalification year having been 'extended' to 11/21 (and having the 8 October 2020 yearend earnings ignored) and will need to earn 3750TP between 9 October 2020 and 8 October 2021 to retain GGL/CCR card into 2022.
No issue with not receiving CCR card in the pack. I never have and always have to call to ask for it.

Last edited by gcuk; Nov 30, 2020 at 7:22 am
Old Nov 30, 2020, 7:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Under the new reduced thresholds, yes.
so bascially you are in the same situation as me. it seems you get your 1 year extension as back in june your card expiry was changed from 31 dec 2020 to 31 dec 2021. however if you requalify anyway in your current year you don't get another year added on top of that. effectively those who requalified in their current year are not getting any benefit.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 7:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
BertieBadger in post #2275
That appears to reflect the position for the last extension, not any future one. BA will almost certainly review its position as we move closer to July-September renewals. BA are aware that many members with renewals in those months have not benefited from any extension and those same members will have been prevented from travel since their previous renewal.

I’d be very surprised if BA chose to do nothing to protect affected members, loyalty will be even more important to airlines as the world begins to reopen. We need to exercise a little patience rather than assume nothing will be offered.
bisonrav and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
so bascially you are in the same situation as me. it seems you get your 1 year extension as back in june your card expiry was changed from 31 dec 2020 to 31 dec 2021. however if you requalify anyway in your current year you don't get another year added on top of that. effectively those who requalified in their current year are not getting any benefit.
Yes, and as the year goes on, more and more people are commencing their 25% reduced threshold target to renew at their next year end. So as a July, I'm 5 months into my 25% reduced collection target, with 0TPs and with USA and Australia still shut to me, no prospect of renewing my GGL/CCR card past July 2021.
So I'm banking on some further extension.
ThatT1Feeling, KARFA and Tocsin like this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I’d be very surprised if BA chose to do nothing to protect affected members, loyalty will be even more important to airlines as the world begins to reopen. We need to exercise a little patience rather than assume nothing will be offered.

I am in the same boat. August renewal, requalified before lockdown, haven't flown since. I really hope BA do review this. The whole BAEC is geared to loyalty, and clearly they want to keep loyalty. At what's likely to be the top tier of revenue customers (GGL), being "overlooked" by BA isn't simply an omission, it feels worse!

Last edited by HighwayToHEL; Nov 30, 2020 at 7:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.