Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Old Oct 27, 2020, 2:46 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by GXWBA
I wrote to them and received the most generic response about how they're extending memberships by 12 months and reducing TP requirements (everything from back in the summer), which suggests that they didn't even read the email where I detailed how I missed multiple opportunities to reach Gold due to BA cancellations. It was absolutely nothing like the responses I see above where they at least engage in a pertinent discussion (including "Sorry but we don't think you qualify because..").
Unfortunately this seems quite common. I had a number of responses which plainly ignored my query and simply repeated back some variation of the "Something to make you smile" email (sometimes incorrectly). It is impossible to know if such responses come from a mistake by the agent reading too quickly (or at all!), or if they are deliberate in the hope that you will just give up. I can only suggest that you go back to them, politely point out that they haven't addressed your query and request that they do so.

In terms of where to contact them, I understand it all ends up in the same channel. If you have a case number, you should have a link in your reply that you can use to directly respond.

Counting the lost TPs due to cancellations in the summer and two runs which were cancelled now does bring me up over 1500, though they only cancelled one or two legs of the runs so I wonder if I have much of a strong position there?
For me it is difficult to appraise the strength of your case simply because - as I've noted before - I'm unaware of any public policy in this area and there seems to be a distinct lack of consistency. They have awarded a tier to members whose cancellations reached the reduced targets, equally we have seen more recently a flat out refusal on their part to do the same. They have awarded a tier to those whose cancellations reached the original targets (1500TP in your case, as I understand you would have passed), but possibly they are now implementing a stricter policy here and will be refusing to award on this basis.

Based on what I understand, I think you have a case insofar as
a) You would have passed 1500TP if BA had not cancelled flights (i.e. You are not relying on both cancellations and a reduced target)
b) They have awarded others the tier in the same position

However, as I note this all seems to be being done on an ad-hoc basis, and I am unaware of any relevant T&Cs etc you could appeal to. The fact that others have been awarded it does not seem to be a guarantee that you will also receive the same consideration.

I would try again, and hope for a more relevant (and positive) answer
Old Oct 27, 2020, 3:05 am

Counting the lost TPs due to cancellations in the summer and two runs which were cancelled now does bring me up over 1500, though they only cancelled one or two legs of the runs so I wonder if I have much of a strong position there?
PS, could you clarify this in terms of distinct bookings rather than TP runs, as it is not clear to me if you mean:

1) A single booking, in which they cancelled (at least) 1 sector.
2) A "TP run" consisting of 2 bookings, one being the run itself and one being e.g. positioning flights where only 1 booking has been affected/cancelled while the other is/was OK.

If it is 1) then cancellation of a single sector is enough to cancel the whole booking, so claiming all the TP from the booking is entirely reasonable.

If it is 2) that weakens your case somewhat.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Executive Club: Silver
Hi Bertie, thanks for the taking the time to help me out!

PS, could you clarify this in terms of distinct bookings rather than TP runs, as it is not clear to me if you mean:

1) A single booking, in which they cancelled (at least) 1 sector.
2) A "TP run" consisting of 2 bookings, one being the run itself and one being e.g. positioning flights where only 1 booking has been affected/cancelled while the other is/was OK.
I had two bookings for the TP run, A and B, which were 240 TPs each. First, they cancelled two legs on booking A, so I rebooked both A and B (B for convenience; references stayed the same because I rebooked using FTV). They then cancelled a leg on B. Since they cancelled one leg on both A and B at different times, I'm not sure if I can claim 480 TPs that way.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 5:07 am

Hi Bertie, thanks for the taking the time to help me out!

I had two bookings for the TP run, A and B, which were 240 TPs each. First, they cancelled two legs on booking A, so I rebooked both A and B (B for convenience; references stayed the same because I rebooked using FTV). They then cancelled a leg on B. Since they cancelled one leg on both A and B at different times, I'm not sure if I can claim 480 TPs that way.
Thanks for the clarification, though I probably need another coffee to fully understand it :-)

So as I understand it, booking B has been cancelled by BA (whether 1 leg or more doesn't matter) and you haven't rebooked it - so I would say certainly you can "claim" 240 TP from that.

What I'm still not clear about is what is the current status of booking A? You rebooked that originally, so is that a current booking that is still operating as of the time of writing? Or is it in the past, in which case what happened to it in its rebooked form? (did you cancel for FTV, did they cancel it again etc)

Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2020, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Do bookings A and B therefore still exist for future dates?

I would have thought you would be on stronger ground if, as a result of BA's flight cancellations, you had cancelled the bookings for refunds. That's the basis on which I was upgraded to Gold, and also the reason why I did not ask until all the relevant bookings had been cancelled for refunds.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club: Silver
So as I understand it, booking B has been cancelled by BA (whether 1 leg or more doesn't matter) and you haven't rebooked it - so I would say certainly you can "claim" 240 TP from that.
Yes, booking B is cancelled and I haven't rebooked it so it currently takes me to the disruption recovery page, where I haven't accepted their proposed new flights. I also claimed 240 TP in my second email.

What I'm still not clear about is what is the current status of booking A?
Booking A is still active as they haven't cancelled it. If they do I'd have an even stronger case!

Do bookings A and B therefore still exist for future dates?
BA has cancelled a leg on B and it currently stands as such, while A is active for a future date.

I would have thought you would be on stronger ground if, as a result of BA's flight cancellations, you had cancelled the bookings for refunds.
I haven't requested refunds on them yet, are refunds on cancelled flights more likely to give Gold upgrades than FTVs, if I were to accept one?
Old Oct 27, 2020, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I haven't requested refunds on them yet, are refunds on cancelled flights more likely to give Gold upgrades than FTVs, if I were to accept one?
I have no insight into whether BA's thinking is anything along these lines. But my personal reasoning was as follows.

Assume that I have a booking on which I'm going to earn 280 TPs in January, and my year end is February.

If a sector on that booking is cancelled, and I change the date of the booking to March, I'm going to be earning those 280 TPs on that booking in March. There's no obvious reason why BA should credit me 280 TPs in January when all I've done is to defer the TP earning for a couple of months, in the same way as a voluntary change of booking. Otherwise, even if BA is prepared to give credit for Covid-related cancellations, that booking will double-dip TPs.

However, if a sector on that booking is cancelled and I completely cancel the booking for a refund, I'm never going to be earning the TPs on that booking at any time. It's in those circumstances that BA might allow me the credit for that booking - there will be no question of double-dipping on that booking. That's why I waited until all my relevant bookings were cancelled for refunds before I asked.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 3:16 am

..snip..
BA has cancelled a leg on B and it currently stands as such, while A is active for a future date.
..snip...
Thanks for the clarifications, much appreciated. I also agree with the analysis Globaliser has presented.

So I'd like to make sure I understand the situation properly. Returning to your original post, you said:
I'm about 400 TPs short of the reduced 1125 TP requirement for a 8 Nov collection end date.
So, you need the contributions of both bookings A and B, and even together they will only reach the reduced target, but not the normal target of 1500.

Unfortunately, I think this puts you in a much weaker (in fact: impossible) position to claim Gold, at least at this moment in time. Taking each booking in turn:

For booking A, I strongly suspect that BA will regard this as being rebooked and the original cancellations as now being irrelevant. If the flights operate, you will of course need to fly them to earn the TPs. If there is a cancellation then after that you may revisit the question but I don't think they will even entertain this query prior to either a cancellation or the flights operating. I don't think taking an FTV and moving the flight into your next TP year will help with getting Gold in this year, as that would be the double dip Globaliser describes. If booking A is already rescheduled into your new TP year (i.e. on or after Nov 9th) then I don't see how you can possibly get Gold this year I'm afraid. Can you confirm what TP year the rebooked booking A falls into?

For booking B, I think you can reasonably claim 240TP towards your total, but alone that doesn't help you right now. Those 240 don't get you to 1125.

In summary, if booking A is rebooked such that all sectors are on Nov 8th or before and you fly them (or BA cancel, but perhaps unlikely this close in) then after that, and only after that you have a 'weak' claim to Gold insofar as some people have reported success with cancelled bookings taking them over the reduced limit. Equally we have seen more recent refusals for the same position, so I don't really fancy your chances.

Sorry to be pessimistic, but if I've understood the facts then I don't think you have a claim right now.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 4:55 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Back to another sub-thread on this thread, has anyone received a replacement physical card from the July 8th year-end onwards? I tried a re-order from ba.com but just got Pending and Fulfilled again - no Dispatched. The only comms I am getting from BA at the moment is them trying to get me to fly to places which will be probably closed off by the time of departure!

Old Oct 28, 2020, 4:59 am

Programs: BA GGL
I've had a new CCR card but not a new GGL card, my year end is August 8th.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 5:02 am

Programs: BAGold, Star Alliance Gold
TP year or card year?

Sorry but I'm a bit lost with the qualifying criteria. I have Gold TP year end 08 May 2021. Card expires 30 June 2022.

By when do I have to earn my "1125 TP and 4 eligible BA flights"?

08 May 2021? pretty much impossible
30 June 2022 could manage it hopefully

thanks to those who understand this stuff
W
Old Oct 28, 2020, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Back to another sub-thread on this thread, has anyone received a replacement physical card from the July 8th year-end onwards? I tried a re-order from ba.com but just got Pending and Fulfilled again - no Dispatched.
Yes. Just a regular Gold Card for me, but it was dispatched fairly quickly - a week or so as I recall. I ordered it in August. The printed expiry is of course 2021.

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
The only comms I am getting from BA at the moment is them trying to get me to fly to places which will be probably closed off by the time of departure!
I was thinking that very thing lately and not to reopen old wounds but seems to me a little bit of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing in that some bits of BA really want me to spend money with them, while others do everything to convince me not to!
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 5:05 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Beaulieu
I've had a new CCR card but not a new GGL card, my year end is August 8th.
Thanks - yep me too. Odd
Old Oct 28, 2020, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Winnie1
Sorry but I'm a bit lost with the qualifying criteria. I have Gold TP year end 08 May 2021. Card expires 30 June 2022.

W
You don't need to earn any TP at all prior to 09/05/21

To retain Gold after 30/06/2022 you need to earn 1125 TP (+4 flights) between 09/05/2021 and 08/05/2022 inclusive. If you do so you will retain Gold until 30/06/2023. If you are unable to do so, you will "soft land" to Silver on 1/07/2022 retaining that until 30/06/2023.

Hope that helps. With a May renewal date, you are one of the "winners" in this scheme, relatively speaking.
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 5:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Winnie1

W
so you have gold with a card expiry 30 June 2022.

in which case there is no point earning from now until 8 May 2021 as you will maintain gold in to your 9 May 2021 to 8 May 2022 membership year regardless. any TPs you earn from 9 May 2020 to 8 May 2021 will just get zeroed out overnight on 8 May 2021.

what you earn between 9 May 2021 to 8 May 2022 will determine your status in your 9 May 2022 to 8 May 2023. you will have the reduced thresholds that year so only 1125 needed for gold.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.