Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Hahahahahahaha
I was one of them who thought that it was a gift ( either another reduced threshold/extension ) or a promo. From the title, I didn't think it was a mail just with a letter.
Yeh was hoping it was an early xmas present. Not to be, yet. With 640 booked in, i at least have a chance, but let's see
Old Dec 11, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by TTmex
Anyone else get the 'A thank you from us' email and just for a moment think it might be an extension?haha
Yeah, I got one too. Was a little disappointed to see that it was quite literally just a thank you and nothing else.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by TTmex
Anyone else get the 'A thank you from us' email and just for a moment think it might be an extension?haha
yes, maybe there was an offer of a free cup of tea for our loyalty there though?
alex67500 and HighwayToHEL like this.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by firstlight
yes, maybe there was an offer of a free cup of tea for our loyalty there though?
They did say they would have the kettle on
Old Dec 12, 2020, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by alex67500
They did say they would have the kettle on
I'm glad I'm not the only one who (over?) interpreted this as being a return to free tea/coffee post-pandemic!
alex67500 and TTmex like this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
Yeah, I got one too. Was a little disappointed to see that it was quite literally just a thank you and nothing else.
it wasn’t a thank you it was a badly timed ( in my case) advert arriving at the same time as flight cancellations in February!

On the up side my wife’s silver status renewed for second successive year without a single tier point! Last year just 30!!
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:06 am

What is the thinking about the latest UK restrictions PLUS other countries' responses, regarding future BA status extensions?

Millions of us are now not allowed to travel for leisure, and many potential work destinations are now off limits (even with quarantine), just at the point when there was light on the horizon for travel in the spring. And all due to the new 'Kentish Virus'(!). The UK gov is saying that Tier 4 could remain for a long while, and certainly until there is significant vaccination. This optimistically takes us to Spring (lets say late April).

For me, this is 8 months of my 'extended' year gone (which is more than the 6 months lost of my most recently earned year); for July year end, it is 10 months gone. There is no way I could earn a minimum of 1125TPs in four months (I never have had such a high earning rate, its getting into CCR level), assuming of course that countries will allow vaccinated individuals in without quarantine. BA are once again failing to adapt their loyalty program to the challenging times.

I was relieved when the original extension was announced, believing the government's aim of normality by xmas (which I can see now was what appears to be a policy of a moving window of promising normality in 6 months from now, whenever now is). I am now anxious again. Travelling post COVID will be bad enough (extra queues, testing, masks, no 747 and more dry 777s and cramped 787s).... the least BA can do is assure us that when we are free and able to travel again we won't have lost status. The further complexity is people in the UK will be vaccinated at different rates, and destinations will also open up at different rates, depending on domestic vaccination schedules. Are we going to see the vaccinated elderly/vulnerable able to retain status and the rest of us be demoted? (and no I'm NOT saying the vulnerable should not first to be vaccinated!)

Why on earth are BA just not freezing status at this stage? They could unfreeze at the time when customers choose/are able to travel again (they could, for example, allow one return flight during the freeze (e.g. to see family/emergency visits etc), before unfreezing your account and starting the 12 month clock ticking again on the date of commencement of a second trip). I'm sure I'm not the only person who could do with one less thing to worry about right now.

The situation is changing, and, unlike in Spring, BAEC need to show some proactivity.... sooner rather than later.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by GBOAC
I am now anxious again... I'm sure I'm not the only person who could do with one less thing to worry about right now.
There are many things to worry about at the moment, but I don't think loss of status in an airline frequent flyer programme should be one of them. You can choose to not let it worry you.
Originally Posted by GBOAC
Are we going to see the vaccinated elderly/vulnerable able to retain status and the rest of us be demoted?
I know that it wasn't your intention, but the very fact that you asked this question is somewhat insensitive and even a little disturbing.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Misco60
There are many things to worry about at the moment, but I don't think loss of status in an airline frequent flyer programme should be one of them. You can choose to not let it worry you.
some can, some cant. for some of us, travelling is a hobby. i couldnt care less that gyms are closed right now. some others are worried a lot about that. bodybuilders for example.

i can only speak for myself, misco. I totally understand what you mean. but i just cant ignore lose of status. it bothers me. and it annoys me. and i know that this is no important matter. still it matters to me.
MatJarosz likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
.I know that it wasn't your intention, but the very fact that you asked this question is somewhat insensitive and even a little disturbing.
I didn't mean it to be insensitive or disturbing. However there are wider questions about vaccination lead times and the resultant opportunities that will be available to those who have been vaccinated earlier vs later, leading to issues of freedom, equality and opportunity.
discussed for example here:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1765641.html

Pregnant and nursing women will not be offered the vaccine. Therefore presumably anyone who is currently expecting will not be able to get back up to speed with work and soceity as it unlocks until they have had their baby, plus further time if they are feeding, plus parental leave. This means they face being second-class citizens for up to 18 months+ longer than the rest of society. And it seems like BA are not giving baby leave on top of existing COVID-extensions... I'm just bringing this as one example as to how circumstances will differ significnatly across different groups.

My fundamental point stands however, how are service providers (including airlines and loyalty schemes) able to fairly provide access to services that account for opportunities that are beyond the control of the customer?
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Nephoi
some can, some cant. for some of us, travelling is a hobby. i couldnt care less that gyms are closed right now. some others are worried a lot about that. bodybuilders for example.

i can only speak for myself, misco. I totally understand what you mean. but i just cant ignore lose of status. it bothers me. and it annoys me. and i know that this is no important matter. still it matters to me.
Your analogy makes sense and I know of many people who have been upset by lack of access to gyms and it has, in their eyes, negatively affected their self-esteem due to perceived worsening of physical fitness. And I think it is completely understandable that being unable to fly leading to loss of airline status would be upsetting for someone whose hobby is airline status.

I would put it to you that it would be worth trying to develop some cognitive flexibility about this and see if you can find a way to reduce the significance you place on maintaining airline status. My observation during the pandemic is that people who have been able to adapt, make compromises, and recognise and celebrate features in their life which are positive (e.g. having a roof over your head, having food to eat, having connections with friends and family virtually when previously there was no technology available at all to support this etc) and who have also directed their time/energy to support those who have been made worse off through the pandemic (e.g. through bereavement, personal ill health etc) have coped much better than those who have struggled to make such adaptations.

We are in this for the long haul and I am afraid many of us have a lot more to lose than airline status in the coming years. I think it is a good idea to cherish the positive things we still have in these difficult times and live our lives the best that we can within the current constraints. Let us celebrate that we are alive and breathing, and that in a few years' time, we will be able to enjoy what we used to once again!
Old Dec 21, 2020, 9:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Going into 2021 and with BA’s schedule still in sheds, lounge contracts not being renewed, and I suppose most crucially mass vaccinations not starting until May, I’d frankly be surprised if a second 12 month extension isn’t forthcoming.
SKT-DK, pjh981, Tobias-UK and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 9:47 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
A further extension of status is totally dependent on BA surviving at this point. I'm sure most here recall Alex Cruz saying that BA is fighting for survival in September this year: https://www.standard.co.uk/business/...-a4548556.html

We are at a much worse point now. Government ministers have already said we will be locked down till potentially summer - who knows, maybe even longer. I think the bigger worry here is if BA, and indeed other airlines globally actually survive this.

When the Pfizer vaccine was approved, many people hailed it as the "beginning of the end of this virus". Today, it seems like this virus is only getting started.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by HB7
A further extension of status is totally dependent on BA surviving at this point. I'm sure most here recall Alex Cruz saying that BA is fighting for survival in September this year: https://www.standard.co.uk/business/...-a4548556.html

We are at a much worse point now. Government ministers have already said we will be locked down till potentially summer - who knows, maybe even longer. I think the bigger worry here is if BA, and indeed other airlines globally actually survive this.

When the Pfizer vaccine was approved, many people hailed it as the "beginning of the end of this virus". Today, it seems like this virus is only getting started.
Feel bad for the staff, can only get worse now..
Old Dec 21, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by HB7

Sadly, I fear BA (in its current form) may not survive 2021.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.