Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I was disappointed to not get an update last week on status, but watching the latest meltdown gives me faith we might be back in with a chance in the next couple of weeks. I truly love BA and defend them regularly, but watching what is happening right now is embarrassing. I can't see how they can not end up comping status extensions after another such meltdown. I'm flying on Saturday and for the first time ever I'm genuinely worried about how long the journey may be. I've told my wife to pack some extra essentials in hand luggage in case we don't make our connection (MEX-LHR-BCN) or our bags don't make it...
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:23 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
I'm still holding out and hoping, but have kind of accepted now that I'll go from GGL to Silver in a few months. I still can't get to where I normally travel, but have a lot of trips planned for the tail end of this year, which will ne too late.

I enjoyed the ride though.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 3:46 am

Programs: OW
Feels like this isn't going to happen for July year-ends onwards...
Old Apr 8, 2022, 4:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by eh220160
Feels like this isn't going to happen for July year-ends onwards...
I mentioned a while back that the mood music was no more global status extensions were likely. Since then I've heard nothing to suggest that has changed. Those who are pretty close to renewing, or those with a significant BA travel history might be able to seek a discretionary extension. That would be on a case-by-case basis.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 4:27 am

I'm on 120 points (hooray) so only need another 2130 before August 8th. Clearly that's not going to happen. My goal now is to try to get the 1125 to avoid dropping to silver, but even that might be a tall order.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
It certainly is looking less and less likely that there will be any further extensions at this point.

Does anyone know if the reduced thresholds definitely apply if you are moving down a tier? For example, I'm currently GGL but doing much less work travel than I was. If I get 1125 Tier Points before December 31st, will I definitely retain Gold whilst obviously losing GGL?
Old Apr 8, 2022, 6:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Reduced thresholds end at end of June 2022, so you would have to get your 1125 by then to take advantage.

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 8, 2022 at 6:43 am
Old Apr 8, 2022, 6:39 am

oh cr*p that means I need to get 1380 by 8th August!
Old Apr 8, 2022, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Reduced thresholds end at end of June 2022, so you would have to get your 1125 by then to take advantage.
That doesn't match what I see in my account:

COVID-19: How the Executive Club is supporting you

We have reduced the amount of Tier Points required to renew your Tier status by 25% throughout 2022. As a Gold Guest List member, this means that you could renew your Gold Guest List membership if you earn 2,250 Tier Points by the 31st December 2022. From 1st January 2023, the normal Tier Point thresholds will then apply. Read more here
Old Apr 8, 2022, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
reduced thresholds end 31 Dec 2022
Old Apr 8, 2022, 6:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Ah, hold on, apologies I missed the recent update, it will apply to end of December

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...efits#vouchers

Tier Point threshold reduction extended

In addition, we previously reduced the amount of Tier Points needed to renew or upgrade each Tier by 25% until June 2022. We have now extended this by another six months, so that the reduced thresholds are now applicable for all Members until 31 December 2022.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Yes, a rare occurrence but I think KARFA is mistaken on this one. It was previously June 30th 2022, but at the same time as the last (and apparently final) tranche of extensions, it was moved to Dec 31st 2022.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...efits#vouchers

Specifically:

From 1 January 2023, these thresholds will revert back to normal.
So some small crumbs of comfort for HighwayToHEL I guess?
Mike P, gliderpilot and KARFA like this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 6:51 am

I think 1125 Tier Points this year is more likely than 2250 for me sadly. Work travel just hasn't returned to anything like pre-pandemic levels. I think I'd be happy with remaining Gold (and am not all that far off GfL)
Old Apr 8, 2022, 6:52 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
On the question of moving down a tier, I don't see anything that suggests the reduced thresholds would not apply equally for someone in that position - I suppose it only applies to those lofty GGLs since everyone else soft lands anyway?

It would surely be a spectacular own goal to insist that previously high value customers, who could well be again if and when travel picks up further, should have a higher threshold than some low-CIV oik like me!

(And just to argue against myself, of course that's pretty much what they did do with the first set of extensions, whereby long term status holders were significantly worse off than those who had reached a status that year, but I hope they'd have learned from that!)
Old Apr 8, 2022, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Mike P
I think 1125 Tier Points this year is more likely than 2250 for me sadly. Work travel just hasn't returned to anything like pre-pandemic levels. I think I'd be happy with remaining Gold (and am not all that far off GfL)
Identical for me. I normally do 4x flights to India (via DOH, so 360tp each trip), alongside lots of other stuff. Our India staff haven't even returned to the office....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.