Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
WHAT'S OPEN IN T5?

Current to 14 January 2022. Changes from previous update in red where applicable.

Landside - Departures
Boots
Caffè Nero
Excess Baggage (both units in Zones B and F)
Excess Baggage Wrap
Kanishka Kitchen
Travelex
WHSmith (both units in Zones C and H) - including Post Office in WHSmith Zone H

Landside - Arrivals
Boots
Bradley Smith Hair Express Bar
Caffè Nero (both units North and South)
Costa Coffee
Excess Baggage
Hotel Reservations / Sim Local
Marks and Spencer
Travelex
WHSmith

Airside - T5A Upper Level
Accessorize
Boots
Dixons Travel
Giraffe
Glorious Britain
Gordon Ramsay Plane Food
Harrods
The Harry Potter Shop
The Macallan Boutique
Travelex
Wagamama
WHSmith
World Duty Free Tobacco

Airside - T5A Gate Level
Be Relax
Boots
Bottega Venetta
Bulgari
Burberry
Cartier
Case
Caviar House & Prunier Seafood Bar
Chanel
Dior
Dixons Travel
Fortnum & Mason
Gucci
Hermès
Hugo Boss
InMotion
Itsu
Kurt Geiger
Louis Vuitton
Orlebar Brown
Paul Smith
Pilots Bar & Kitchen
Prada
Pret a Manger (both Main and Express units)
Ray-Ban
Reiss
Rituals
Rolex
Smythson
Starbucks
Sunglass Hut
Ted Baker
The Crown Rivers (JD Wetherspoon)
Tiffany & Co.
Travelex
Watches of Switzerland
WHSmith (both North and South units)
WHSmith Bookshop
World of Whiskies
World Duty Free (all units - Collection, Main, North, Perfumerie)

Airside - T5B
Boots
Dixons Travel
Sim Local
Starbucks
Sunglass Hut
WHSmith
World Duty Free

Airside - T5C
Boots
Starbucks
WHSmith
World Duty Free

Airside - Arrivals
World Duty Free (both North and South units)

Print Wikipost

COVID-19 and BA: Using Heathrow T5

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm also surprised, it was one of the last to close too. And I'm beginning to worry about the nutritional welfare of Heathrow's staff!
Clearly Boots and WHSmith dont cut it as their sandwiches are terrible. And Pret is only airside, assuming one can afford it!
Old Jul 21, 2020, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Our connecting flight to EDI has been cancelled so it’s going to be a 6 hour layover at T5. With a baby who now likes to crawl at the speed of V1, and the T5 floor off limits, I’m considering options to pass the time more bearably.

One option is to book a cheap room at the T4 Premier Inn and head there for a few hours, would also let us get out of our masks for a while. I went here from T5 once before for a short overnight layover, and recall it wasn’t too bad, but is this doable at the moment? Any obstacles to this that weren’t there pre-lockdown? I read about significant delays at the UK border which by the look of things could already eat up about an hour of our time?

Another possibility could be to find a local park but I’m not sure if there are any closeby, eg within 10-15 mins on the tube?

If all else fails, how busy is T5 airside itself these days? Can a quiet corner still be found?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 9:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Getting to T4 is now tricky since it's mothballed. You can take the TfL buses to Starlight Way / Sheffield Way which are right by the Premier Inn, 10 minute ride, free of charge, 6 buses an hour. Or Uber presumably.

There are plenty of unused gates at T5 and at B and C, so it will be easy to get a quiet spot. There are quite a few parks in the vicinity of LHR, right up to Kew Gardens, depends how far is reasonable. There are some green spaces within walking distance of T5 but I'm not sure I can recommend them. The absolutely obvious suggestion is the Hounslow Urban Farm, which has owls, chickens and pygmy goats. 490 bus pretty much door to door. It's currently closed but making plans to reopen fairly soon.

If you don't have BAEC lounge access, Aspire in T5 is now open. This has some dozing seats at one end (I think there is an extra charge for them though).

I've seen a few reports of delays at T5 checking the Passenger Locator Form, I just haven't seen them myself.
go_around and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: British Airways
Originally Posted by go_around
Our connecting flight to EDI has been cancelled so it’s going to be a 6 hour layover at T5. With a baby who now likes to crawl at the speed of V1, and the T5 floor off limits, I’m considering options to pass the time more bearably.

One option is to book a cheap room at the T4 Premier Inn and head there for a few hours, would also let us get out of our masks for a while. I went here from T5 once before for a short overnight layover, and recall it wasn’t too bad, but is this doable at the moment? Any obstacles to this that weren’t there pre-lockdown? I read about significant delays at the UK border which by the look of things could already eat up about an hour of our time?

Another possibility could be to find a local park but I’m not sure if there are any closeby, eg within 10-15 mins on the tube?

If all else fails, how busy is T5 airside itself these days? Can a quiet corner still be found?
You might consider Yotel which is inside Terminal 4, cabins are booked in increments of 4 hours. It's located in the Arrivals Hall. Used it frequently when my daughter was a baby/toddler.
go_around likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Caroline Lomas
You might consider Yotel which is inside Terminal 4, cabins are booked in increments of 4 hours. It's located in the Arrivals Hall. Used it frequently when my daughter was a baby/toddler.
Unfortunately Yotel and T4 are currently closed (Yotel) or mothballed (T4) as CWS likes to say. Yotel says they are not accepting bookings until 1SEPT.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, HGC, Spg
What is everyone doing about parking these days? I notice that T5 Longstay is closed, as is the pod. (When I looked at parking options on the BA site they offered a fairly high rate to park over at T2 and get the bus). Previously I've used the various "valet" services but they really are shady: last time we even found a note put under the fuel door/flap which detailed which suburban street the car had been left on. I felt rather bad for the poor residents who are clearly sick of it.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk Caroline Lomas, and welcome to the BA Forum. It's a good idea, just not one that is going to work.

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
mothballed (T4) as CWS likes to say.
Is that not a thing in Alaska?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by watersign
What is everyone doing about parking these days? I notice that T5 Longstay is closed, as is the pod. (When I looked at parking options on the BA site they offered a fairly high rate to park over at T2 and get the bus). Previously I've used the various "valet" services but they really are shady: last time we even found a note put under the fuel door/flap which detailed which suburban street the car had been left on. I felt rather bad for the poor residents who are clearly sick of it.
Quite a bit of discussion in this thread:
Current parking costs at Heathrow T5!

Is that not a thing in Alaska?
Oh, it is although I don't actually know that many people that still use mothballs. I just find it somewhat amusing that you seem to me to be the only person consistently using it in relation to T4 (while others use shut, closed, shuttered). Just having a bit of fun.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by watersign
Previously I've used the various "valet" services but they really are shady: last time we even found a note put under the fuel door/flap which detailed which suburban street the car had been left on. I felt rather bad for the poor residents who are clearly sick of it.
If you use the official Heathrow service (when available), this won't happen.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Justpark. Amrik or Jazz in Stanwell Moor.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 12:19 am

Question: do you know if HAL is giving out masks for travellers? Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2020, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 13901
Question: do you know if HAL is giving out masks for travellers? Thanks!
Yes, they do at the entrance to the building. If you come up by lift from HEX, TfL Rail or Tube you may miss them, but on the doors from outside (ie as if arriving by bus, car or taxi) you will pass trestle tables where HAL staff hand them out. My first mask of the epidemic, some time back when they weren't readily on sale in UK shops, came via HAL.
13901 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 2:24 am

Yes, they do at the entrance to the building. If you come up by lift from HEX, TfL Rail or Tube you may miss them, but on the doors from outside you will pass trestle tables where HAL staff hand them out. My first mask of the epidemic, some time back when they weren't readily on sale in UK shops, came via HAL.
Great, thanks c-w-s. As I'll be taking the tube I'd have missed them were it not for you!
Old Jul 22, 2020, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC, Amex MR, SPG, HHonors
I’m flying with my family from T5 on Saturday morning and suspect it may be fairly busy landside if last Saturday morning is anything to go by,
I’m therefore tempted to drop off bags the night before as I’m not too far away – however can I do this on behalf of the whole family (we will probably check in 2 suitcases between us) or would everyone (or at least 2 of us) need to be present?

I can't seem to find anything conclusive on the matter, but I'm wondering if it is feasible if at OLCI I attach both checked bags to my own ticket, and hand luggage only to the other tickets?

Has anyone had any experience of this?

thanks
Old Jul 22, 2020, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsto
I’m flying with my family from T5 on Saturday morning and suspect it may be fairly busy landside if last Saturday morning is anything to go by,
I’m therefore tempted to drop off bags the night before as I’m not too far away – however can I do this on behalf of the whole family (we will probably check in 2 suitcases between us) or would everyone (or at least 2 of us) need to be present?
I don't know for certain whether Twilight Check-in is still allowed. I will try to find out. But if it is allowed then the rule is you can check up to your own allowance, so if you are allowed 2 bags on your personal allowance then that's OK. Bear in mind OLCI doesn't work for a number of countries now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.