Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
WHAT'S OPEN IN T5?

Current to 14 January 2022. Changes from previous update in red where applicable.

Landside - Departures
Boots
Caffč Nero
Excess Baggage (both units in Zones B and F)
Excess Baggage Wrap
Kanishka Kitchen
Travelex
WHSmith (both units in Zones C and H) - including Post Office in WHSmith Zone H

Landside - Arrivals
Boots
Bradley Smith Hair Express Bar
Caffč Nero (both units North and South)
Costa Coffee
Excess Baggage
Hotel Reservations / Sim Local
Marks and Spencer
Travelex
WHSmith

Airside - T5A Upper Level
Accessorize
Boots
Dixons Travel
Giraffe
Glorious Britain
Gordon Ramsay Plane Food
Harrods
The Harry Potter Shop
The Macallan Boutique
Travelex
Wagamama
WHSmith
World Duty Free Tobacco

Airside - T5A Gate Level
Be Relax
Boots
Bottega Venetta
Bulgari
Burberry
Cartier
Case
Caviar House & Prunier Seafood Bar
Chanel
Dior
Dixons Travel
Fortnum & Mason
Gucci
Hermčs
Hugo Boss
InMotion
Itsu
Kurt Geiger
Louis Vuitton
Orlebar Brown
Paul Smith
Pilots Bar & Kitchen
Prada
Pret a Manger (both Main and Express units)
Ray-Ban
Reiss
Rituals
Rolex
Smythson
Starbucks
Sunglass Hut
Ted Baker
The Crown Rivers (JD Wetherspoon)
Tiffany & Co.
Travelex
Watches of Switzerland
WHSmith (both North and South units)
WHSmith Bookshop
World of Whiskies
World Duty Free (all units - Collection, Main, North, Perfumerie)

Airside - T5B
Boots
Dixons Travel
Sim Local
Starbucks
Sunglass Hut
WHSmith
World Duty Free

Airside - T5C
Boots
Starbucks
WHSmith
World Duty Free

Airside - Arrivals
World Duty Free (both North and South units)

Print Wikipost

COVID-19 and BA: Using Heathrow T5

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2020, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
But as with T5 it's easier to get diamonds than coffee there.
So true! Having landed after 6pm and had some time to kill untill my transport there was nowhere to get coffee in T5 landside, both Nero's closed, Costa closed, same for Giraffe and WHSmith (don't know if they sell coffee anyway). Only place open was Boots.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 2:17 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Originally Posted by T5ops
UKBF should be wearing masks along with every other staff member in the terminal, did she really day they aren't allowed?
she did
Old Jul 17, 2020, 3:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
I spoke to a UKBF person

- they have to check 30% of forms, so use the egates sporadically. They tend to close them when they get busy and then open them again when the main line gets busy.
- UKBF staff don’t have to wear masks if on duty. They are not allowed to wear them if they are checking passports.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by simonsmith
A similar story returning from Bologna today at 1310. It took 48 minutes in the EU/ UK queue to get to border control .
It was badly organised and a complete embarrassment in its failure to provide a safe and efficient service . People were getting hot and bothered and there was some shouting and ineffectual crowd management by border control.

What concerned me was that the system does not comply with government guidelines in respect of social distancing , it is impossible as you are constantly passing people well within 1 meter on either side . Through out my entire trip this was probably the riskiest bit of the journey . I had a delightful border agent who agreed and said she was terrified as they are not allowed to wear masks .
Again a very similar story. Arrived at 1220 yesterday, no e-gates open and took 50 minutes to get to a desk.
There was a HAL employee loudly asking if people had filled the locator form in, but no checking before letting them join the queue.
It seemed that many people had either not filled the form in when they’d got to the desk or they’d not downloaded the PDF from the email. It was taking ages for the border agents to check their phones especially families.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by T5ops
UKBF should be wearing masks along with every other staff member in the terminal, did she really [s]ay they aren't allowed?
Originally Posted by Vgravity
UKBF staff don’t have to wear masks if on duty. They are not allowed to wear them if they are checking passports.
​​​​​​​Presumably there must be some reason for this?
Old Jul 18, 2020, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
The following retail units are open in T5 as of 17 July, with changes from last week in red:

Landside
Boots
WHSmith
Caffč Nero
PlayNation
Bradley Smith
Travelex
Excess Baggage

Airside
Boots
WHSmith
World Duty Free
Pret a Manger (including Express)
Gucci
Burberry
Louis Vuitton
Chanel
Bottega Veneta
Tiffany
Prada

Dior
Watches of Switzerland
Rolex
Ted Baker
Kurt Geiger
Harrods
Paul Smith
Macallen
Glorious Britain
Collection
Thomas Pink
Smythson
Fortnum and Mason (bar and shop)
Mulberry
Bvlgari
Hermes
Dixons Travel

Travelex
Sunglass Hut
Gordon Ramsay Plane Food
Old Jul 19, 2020, 5:13 am

Any news on when M&S arrivals will open?
Old Jul 19, 2020, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Any news on when M&S arrivals will open?
Nothing yet! I’m surprised it’s not already open given the number of local passengers and crew who rely on it for their post-trip groceries and ground staff who do the same.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 6:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Genius1
Nothing yet! I’m surprised it’s not already open given the number of local passengers and crew who rely on it for their post-trip groceries and ground staff who do the same.
I'm also surprised, it was one of the last to close too. And I'm beginning to worry about the nutritional welfare of Heathrow's staff!
Genius1 and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can anyone who has arrived recently and transfered to a domestic flight help me out with understanding exactly what will happen arriving on AA or BA from North America and transferring to BA to Edinburgh? I moderate a St Andrews parents group and people are getting majorly conflicting info from different AA/BA staff regarding immigration, customs, if bags are checked through, and how much time to allow for the transfer. Thank you very much! We have a couple of hundred students making the trip and everyone is very confused. Note that many of them are new students who cannot use the egate as this will be their first arrival in the UK on their Tier4 visa.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 7:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Can anyone who has arrived recently and transfered to a domestic flight help me out with understanding exactly what will happen arriving on AA or BA from North America and transferring to BA to Edinburgh? I moderate a St Andrews parents group and people are getting majorly conflicting info from different AA/BA staff regarding immigration, customs, if bags are checked through, and how much time to allow for the transfer. Thank you very much! We have a couple of hundred students making the trip and everyone is very confused. Note that many of them are new students who cannot use the egate as this will be their first arrival in the UK on their Tier4 visa.
all described in the T5 connections guide in the dashboard.

you will go through immigration and security at T5. This is a separate immigration to arrivals, you will need to follow signs for UK connections.

if this is all one bookings your bags will be checked through and you won’t see them until EDI. Customs is at EDI but there really aren’t any active check.

the minimum connection time is 60 minutes which is plenty, so if you have longer there shouldn’t be an issue.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 7:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
As I'm sure you know more than me, the Tier 4 passport stamp check would be a university rule, Tier 4 can use the e-gates, it's Tier 5 that needs the stamp along with non Tier 4 students on short stay visas (or hypothetically a parent of a Tier 4 who is under 18 at the start of the academic year who is staying until the student's 18th birthday). And if you need a stamp you can use the e-gates and get stamped before leaving the UK Border area, though it's understandable why it's probably easier to wait in line. For the UK and Ireland Flight Connection it shouldn't make much difference, the aren't many people using it at the moment.
https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/at-border-control

But not a lot has changed. If on a through ticket to EDI then there bags can be through checked to EDI, where customs takes place (but probably won't). If a student wishes to declare something in their bag there is a red telephone on the right hand side of the EDI baggage hall. Immigration takes place at the UK and Ireland Flight Connection area, discourage the students from using the main UK Border area. If they see more than 10 passport desks they are in the wrong place, there are only 3 in the UK and Ireland Flight Connection area. One hour is all they need for connections, 2 hours is too long in my view. The only thing that has changed is that they need a printed or digital copy of their Passenger Locator Form. If they have never been outside the USA before it may be their phones won't pick up a UK signal, so make sure they have it locally downloaded, not sitting on a cloud somewhere. HAL wifi should work but there is a short pre-registration webform before getting online. This may or may not be checked at the UK Border but it is a requirement.

Happy to participate in a telco or Zoom call if a lot of people are worried about this, but it's straightforward. Well, apart from the no large liquids in checked luggage rule!
squawk likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you. I suspected the above but wanted confirmation. AA staff are telling parents a 1 hour connection is ok because they don't need to go through immigration if only transiting LHR. I suspect the staff is reading a script that refers to international transit.

Last edited by VickiSoCal; Jul 20, 2020 at 8:07 am
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA; SELECT TA; BAEC Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; IHG Plantinum Amb
Originally Posted by speedbird85
There was a HAL employee loudly asking if people had filled the locator form in, but no checking before letting them join the queue.
It seemed that many people had either not filled the form in when they’d got to the desk or they’d not downloaded the PDF from the email. It was taking ages for the border agents to check their phones especially families.
Having just returned from LCY the system seems relatively similar (although perhaps more pleasantly operated and certainly no queues when I arrived). I was allowed the use the e-gates after an LCY staff member asked whether I had completed the form, but she didn't need to check it. The e-gate then managed to completely shut down whilst I was using it, so was re-directed to an officer who diligently checked the form.

It did make me wonder why they don't use QR codes, which would surely be a lot quicker. On arriving in Spain we had a QR code (either downloaded PDF or via an app) and they just had to scan that, your name popped up and you were good to go - seemed a lot easier than having to enlarge the small print on a PDF for an officer to manually check (let alone the fact that most people seemed to have forgotten to do the form in the first place)!
Old Jul 20, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by lewincg
It did make me wonder why they don't use QR codes, which would surely be a lot quicker. On arriving in Spain we had a QR code (either downloaded PDF or via an app) and they just had to scan that, your name popped up and you were good to go - seemed a lot easier than having to enlarge the small print on a PDF for an officer to manually check (let alone the fact that most people seemed to have forgotten to do the form in the first place)!
Well you do have to provide your passport number, and since BF scan that, maybe they could link the system to check?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.