Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Latest official update, posted by BA refund helper on 16 August (post no 579)

Historic wiki updates:
There seems to be some confusion over the ‘vouchers’ for future travel so here is some clarity in the hope it proves helpful to others.

The ‘voucher number’ will be the customer’s existing ticket number. The process is no different to putting a booking on hold for medical reasons and the existing booking will be reused for future travel, with the ticket reissued following payment of any difference in fare. This is why it takes so long to receive confirmation as someone has to manually go into each booking (as you’ll imagine there are a lot!), remove the live flights, hold in a ghost flight and send the confirmation email to the customer. It is not an eVoucher that you would enter into ba.com for a discount off a brand new booking and new travel arrangements should NOT be made in this way.

Similarly, customers should NOT cancel their own bookings at any point in the voucher process. This will invalidate any eligibility for the voucher and process a fare rules refund.

When ready to rebook (and once the lines are a lot quieter!) customers will need to call to be rebooked as there is no facility to do this online at all and anything done online in this manner will be at the customer’s own expense since you won't be able to deploy the eVoucher's funds. The voucher is valid for travel completed (both outbound and inbound) by 30th April 2021.

There is no telephone service charge for using the eVoucher, you have to call up, but you won't have to pay an extra fee to make the booking in this scenario.
Print Wikipost

Rebooking with e-voucher

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2020, 5:52 pm

Currency question. I have a flight CGD-LHR-SJC-LHR-CDG scheduled for July, it was purchased in € - if I take a voucher it will be in €, but can I use that voucher for flights in other currencies (eg departing US so it would be in $)?
Old May 20, 2020, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by olouie
Currency question. I have a flight CGD-LHR-SJC-LHR-CDG scheduled for July, it was purchased in € - if I take a voucher it will be in €, but can I use that voucher for flights in other currencies (eg departing US so it would be in $)?
Yes.
Old May 20, 2020, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Hawk777
no rules haven't changed you have applied for a voucher for future travel and got that to use by 30 April 2022 but what is being mentioned above is if your new booking is say for 50000 Avios less and £500 in taxes and fees less you then get these credited back to you rather than another voucher

the voucher you have will be for the value of what paid for example if you used 75000pts and £350 that is the value of your voucher, you can use it for any booking in any class on any route. If it is a more expensive journey you pay the extra if it's less you get it refunded
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The original version of this was that the £400 in the example was a standard EMD which could be used online, but there are several reports of the EMD not being in the open eVoucher type and thus the £400 would need a call to the Contact Centre to use. I think you can choose your flight / Avios use in the usual way if you want to part pay (though the usual CWS warning applies that apart from the lowest band this is poor value for money), so you are not forced down one particular course of action, and you would see the return of the 20k Avios.
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Just so I'm clear, say I have a FTV for £500 and 30000 Avios. I call up to make a booking worth £100. I understand that BA will issue a voucher for the remaining £400 and this will be a standard e-voucher that can be used for part payment online? In terms of the Avios, am I able to choose how many Avios I use when using the FTV? So, in this scenario I can choose to pay £100 and use 10000 Avios. Can this be done and do I get the 20000 remaining Avios credited back to my Exec account? Thanks.
These seem to conflict with each other. Specifically with FTV's issued against an Avios redemption, what happens with residual Avios and tax/fee amount on a FTV not fully consumed on a new booking?
Old May 21, 2020, 1:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by slice
These seem to conflict with each other. Specifically with FTV's issued against an Avios redemption, what happens with residual Avios and tax/fee amount on a FTV not fully consumed on a new booking?
As we understand it, for redemptions Avios and spare cash are returned to the passenger's account and credit card respectively. However for commecial bookings - revenue bookings - these are retained in the FTV or maybe the similar instrument knwn as EMD, until there is only £20 left. The potential confusion is that if you Part Pay with Avios, it's still a commercial booking.
Old May 21, 2020, 6:19 am

As we understand it, for redemptions Avios and spare cash are returned to the passenger's account and credit card respectively. However for commecial bookings - revenue bookings - these are retained in the FTV or maybe the similar instrument knwn as EMD, until there is only £20 left. The potential confusion is that if you Part Pay with Avios, it's still a commercial booking.
This is a straight Avios redemption (no Part Pay with Avios). So it seems like a reasonable workaround to rebook and throw away a cheap award (as it’s all
-in-all comparable to paying the cancel/redeposit fee on the original redemption which was the intent all along).
Old May 21, 2020, 7:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by slice
This is a straight Avios redemption (no Part Pay with Avios). So it seems like a reasonable workaround to rebook and throw away a cheap award (as it’s all
-in-all comparable to paying the cancel/redeposit fee on the original redemption which was the intent all along).
That was mentioned some weeks ago in the main Rebook thread as one valid course of action, though I can't recall anyone actually doing this. One possibility would be to book LHR-MAN with the minimum cash component for sometime next year, hopefully get the remaining Avios back, then see what happens in reality when you cancel LHR-MAN next year. But I guess it would be better to make a booking of some description which would be useful.. The cancel/redeposit fee is capped at a maximum of £35 per person, it can be less than that.
Old May 21, 2020, 7:13 am

That was mentioned some weeks ago in the main Rebook thread as one valid course of action, though I can't recall anyone actually doing this. One possibility would be to book LHR-MAN with the minimum cash component for sometime next year, hopefully get the remaining Avios back, then see what happens in reality when you cancel LHR-MAN next year. But I guess it would be better to make a booking of some description which would be useful.. The cancel/redeposit fee is capped at a maximum of £35 per person, it can be less than that.
Thanks, I'm in the US so will probably book an AA award for a later date but likely end up canceling. The redeposit is $55 US for us.
Old May 25, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Has anybody managed to use a voucher in their name to pay for a booking that includes other people in addition to themselves?

I have 6 vouchers from cancelled flights that I would have been the only traveller on, with being able to use 3 vouchers on one booking I'm thinking at some point before April 22 a family holiday might be nice... Would they let me use the value of the 3 vouchers against the total cost of the booking which included wife and kids?
Old May 26, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Got the answer myself... Vouchers not transferable.

I tried to explain they're not being transfered if I'm the lead on the booking and travelling with my family but they were having none of it.

Seems a pretty crappy way to treat your customers who have taken vouchers as a leap faith rather than cash refund to be honest (Don't know why I'm surprised). I also contrast it with Legoland in Denmark who offered a voucher for the full cost of the stay, valid for a full 3 years, can be used in the shop, to book accommodation, to buy tickets as they just send a gift card to the value of the booking.

​​​​​​
Old May 26, 2020, 11:00 am

voucher booking

so i have a booking for 15/07/20 to orlando and i have decided to take a voucher .so its a flight only booking for 5 adults an 2 children for the value of £4000 when i rebook for next year can use it for flights ,car and airport hotel and also is the voucher for phone bookins only many thanks.
Old May 26, 2020, 11:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by louisjake1
so i have a booking for 15/07/20 to orlando and i have decided to take a voucher .so its a flight only booking for 5 adults an 2 children for the value of £4000 when i rebook for next year can use it for flights ,car and airport hotel and also is the voucher for phone bookins only many thanks.
why didn't you wait as you were advised to do? if you had a cancellation you could have got a full refund and then you would have been fully flexible in your new booking. i am not sure why the rush to act?

to answer your questions, yes you can only use it on the phone, and yes you can put it towards a BA holiday booking.
Old May 26, 2020, 11:55 am

the reason i took the voucher was there are ten of us on the booking and we had to book asap because of school and work .we found the dates and prices that suited us all but they need to be booked asap so rather than wait maybe into august for our refund assuming it does get cancelled .so i went for the voucher we looked at tui and virgin they couldnt get anwhere near the BA price.
Old May 26, 2020, 12:57 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by louisjake1
the reason i took the voucher was there are ten of us on the booking and we had to book asap because of school and work .we found the dates and prices that suited us all but they need to be booked asap so rather than wait maybe into august for our refund assuming it does get cancelled .so i went for the voucher we looked at tui and virgin they couldnt get anwhere near the BA price.
ah, well in that case you could have just called and done the rebooking all in one - the value of your current booking would have been put towards your new one. you didn't need to go via the voucher.

anyway, hopefully your voucher comes soon - the wait times for them seem much reduced now.
Old May 26, 2020, 1:07 pm

had my voucher it took less than ten minutes for the email to arrive .
KARFA likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:36 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by KARFA
why didn't you wait as you were advised to do? if you had a cancellation you could have got a full refund and then you would have been fully flexible in your new booking. i am not sure why the rush to act?

to answer your questions, yes you can only use it on the phone, and yes you can put it towards a BA holiday booking.
Just to confirm, can a voucher be used against an existing BA Holidays booking ie pay off the balance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.