Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:56 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by alexwuk
I don't think you understand what's happening. Within a week it will likely be impossible to fly to Australia. So, do you need a week or to get you affairs in order or do you need to get back to Australia? Because it's most probably a choice between the two now.

If you do need to get back home: Forget the baggage allowance. Pack your stuff, book the first flight you can get and give any stuff above whatever baggage allowance the earliest ticket gives you to a mate to ship.

Your options are dwindling by the hour - get on with it, or accept being in the UK for a while.
Im waiting from HR to see if I get a job offer ... Otherwise hunkering back home with family + a govt that will offer some cash support makes sense :-/

Looks like all options gone anyway with UAE closing transit :-(
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Now that we are on lockdown in the UK, I would assume that "travelling to the airport so as to do essential travel" is allowed?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Might have been posted elsewhere, but Dominic Raab, UK Foreign Secretary, has advised that anyone looking to return to the UK should do so immediately due to border closures limiting options.

From his twitter (@DominicRaab)

My message to British people travelling abroad: As borders around the world close and international travel becomes more difficult, you are strongly advised to return to the UK now, where & while there are still commercial travel options available. Keep up to date with @FCOtravel
​​​​
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
Might have been posted elsewhere, but Dominic Raab, UK Foreign Secretary, has advised that anyone looking to return to the UK should do so immediately due to border closures limiting options.

From his twitter (@DominicRaab)

​​​​
That seems a bit late now to be honest. Well better late than never, I guess.

The Swiss government have been urging for Swiss to get home for around 5 days already. I could totally see the current situation coming.
rossmacd and ens100 like this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Now that we are on lockdown in the UK, I would assume that "travelling to the airport so as to do essential travel" is allowed?
You can get in the car. You won't be stopped on the motorway! Have you driven recently? The roads are as busy as ever.

However, people on here are acting as if flights will just continue as normal. Everything indicates this won't be the case for much longer - the government telling people not to travel, the government telling people to return home, plus more and more countries closing borders only means that airlines will have no choice but to stop flying as they won't guarantee they can get people home. You cannot run a business allowing bookings which you can't guarantee.
florens likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by chriswiles
You can get in the car. You won't be stopped on the motorway! Have you driven recently? The roads are as busy as ever.

However, people on here are acting as if flights will just continue as normal. Everything indicates this won't be the case for much longer - the government telling people not to travel, the government telling people to return home, plus more and more countries closing borders only means that airlines will have no choice but to stop flying as they won't guarantee they can get people home. You cannot run a business allowing bookings which you can't guarantee.
you will have skeleton routes for essential connections, to Brussels, Geneva, Zurich etc, mainly for government officials, WHO, UN, etc.

Govt will subsidise airlines one way or another, they will not fail, but yeah basically 5-10% of fleet and employees will be needed.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
If your travel is genuinely essential, all constituent elements of that travel are 'essential' (although you may need documentary proof of such). This seems like basic common sense logic, I'm surprised you would need to ask.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
From an inside source, BA will be running some flights with non-stopping crew. These flights will be double crewed- the returning crew will he dead-heading to take the plane back.

The source also confirmed, which someone already partially started a thread about, will be a reduced service;
No IFR [refreshments not instrument flying]
No BOB
No Hot meal service (just a hot / cold snack)
No alcohol
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by chistery
Just got through to the gold line. Told no email voucher. I have to phone up and quote the old PNR when i'm ready to book and they'll apply the credit. I can't book online.
Seems consistent advice is needed as I got this from the Twitter team:-

"It's been very crazy but we're getting there. It's taking a little longer for the vouchers to come through at the moment due to a large number of requests. It should be with you in around 5 business days."

This and the email is had telling me they were processing the vouchers and would send an email confirming them and how to use them suggests an actual voucher will be recieved at some point.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by navylad
From an inside source, BA will be running some flights with non-stopping crew. These flights will be double crewed- the returning crew will he dead-heading to take the plane back.

The source also confirmed, which someone already partially started a thread about, will be a reduced service;
No IFR [refreshments not instrument flying]
No BOB
No Hot meal service (just a hot / cold snack)
No alcohol
IFR = In-flight Retail (i.e. duty free), not refreshments.

And double-crewing, yes, but it’s been happening for a few days already, it’s not new news by any means. The Ghana flight had a double crew on board. Presumably this is only possible for the middle-length flights... short ones can do there and back anyway, long range they would need min rest downroute. It also seems the crew will still be getting full hot meals, which is bound to lead to some jealous looks particularly from premium passengers.
navylad likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Are BA cancellations due to coronavirus not eligible for compensation under EU law?

My flight from TLV to LHR was cancelled. In the end I was rebooked on United.

Here is the email I got from BA:Thanks for contacting us about your claim for EU compensation. We're sorry it was necessary to cancel flight BA0162 on 14th March 2020. Unfortunately, your claim's been refused because BA0162 was cancelled because of the coronavirus outbreak.
We take all reasonable measures to avoid disruption to a flight and we always consider if there are any other alternative solutions before we make a decision. The cancellation was out of our control and caused unforeseen disruption to our schedule.Thanks again for getting in touch with us.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Confus
IFR = In-flight Retail (i.e. duty free), not refreshments.

And double-crewing, yes, but it’s been happening for a few days already, it’s not new news by any means. The Ghana flight had a double crew on board. Presumably this is only possible for the middle-length flights... short ones can do there and back anyway, long range they would need min rest downroute. It also seems the crew will still be getting full hot meals, which is bound to lead to some jealous looks particularly from premium passengers.
Thanks, I had seen no report on here to say it is happening hence my post. They are on a flight there and back with flight time around 11 hours to a destination towards the west of USA, so I guess it depends what you count as long range.

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Are BA cancellations due to coronavirus not eligible for compensation under EU law?

My flight from TLV to LHR was cancelled. In the end I was rebooked on United.

Here is the email I got from BA:Thanks for contacting us about your claim for EU compensation. We're sorry it was necessary to cancel flight BA0162 on 14th March 2020. Unfortunately, your claim's been refused because BA0162 was cancelled because of the coronavirus outbreak.
We take all reasonable measures to avoid disruption to a flight and we always consider if there are any other alternative solutions before we make a decision. The cancellation was out of our control and caused unforeseen disruption to our schedule.Thanks again for getting in touch with us.
I don't know, I'm not one of the EC261 experts on here, perhaps you could try the specific thread, but I personally wouldn't ask for compensation as it is clear that this is certain extraordinary circumstances, others may well disagree.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by navylad
Thanks, I had seen no report on here to say it is happening hence my post. They are on a flight there and back with flight time around 11 hours to a destination towards the west of USA, so I guess it depends what you count as long range.

I don't know, I'm not one of the EC261 experts on here, perhaps you could try the specific thread, but I personally wouldn't ask for compensation as it is clear that this is certain extraordinary circumstances, others may well disagree.
Indeed the EU have released a statement on this very matter, I don't have the link to hand but I'm sure someone will chime in soon.
navylad likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by flashware
Indeed the EU have released a statement on this very matter, I don't have the link to hand but I'm sure someone will chime in soon.
It makes sense that where governments have forbidden travel you are out of luck on compensation (beyond a straight refund, which you are due if they don't fly you). However, in some cases BA has consolidated flights for commercial reasons (e.g. 5 flights a day reduced to one flight the night before), I think in this case you should be due compensation. But I'm not an expert and that is just my opinion.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
“In light of the mass cancellations and delays passengers and transport operators face due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Commission wants to provide legal certainty on how to apply EU passenger rights. In case of cancellations the transport provider must reimburse or re-route the passengers. If passengers themselves decide to cancel their journeys, reimbursement of the ticket depends on its type, and companies may offer vouchers for subsequent use. Today’s guidelines will provide much-needed legal certainty on how to apply EU passenger rights in a coordinated manner across our Union. We continue to monitor the rapidly evolving situation, and, if need be, further steps will be taken.”
See here for a bit of discussion about it: Expertflyer - COVN Cancellation Code

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.