Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Exclamation BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

This thread is for BA-related (that is a strict condition - it must be BA-related!) musings and "noise" related to Covid-19, to discourage people from posting random things on *Noise Free* threads.

If you are wondering about whether to cancel or postpone your BA flight, BA-holiday bookings, or generally want to talk about BA-related matters in connection with Covid-19, this thread is for you.

Anything not strictly complying with specific thread requirements on "*noise free*" threads that have been posted so far will be brutally deleted without notice. Sorry about that, but we really need to keep the noise-free threads noise-free, as intended.

By the way, if your post meets the requirements of the "noise-free" thread, you are of course welcome to post there instead of this one.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 15, 2020 at 3:24 am
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:51 am

Last updated 14 March 2020, 09:45

Our commitment to your safety and peace of mind

Thank you for the trust you place in us every time you choose to travel with British Airways. These are unprecedented times for our industry, our country and the world.

Please be assured that our expert teams are working closely with the UK Government and health organisations around the world to ensure we’re following the very latest advice. We’ll do everything we can to help customers affected

Can't get the date right today!
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'm still wondering to go ahead with a LHR-OTP flight/hotel trip tomorrow. Bucharest tourist spots all closed but I'll be ok as long as there are pubs to visit. Can't get through to BA Holidays to discuss options though.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by DrGee
I'm still wondering to go ahead with a LHR-OTP flight/hotel trip tomorrow. Bucharest tourist spots all closed but I'll be ok as long as there are pubs to visit. Can't get through to BA Holidays to discuss options though.
It feels rather 'down in the dump' everywhere in Bucharest at the moment.
Hotels would be quite appreciative of your business but the city just feels 'down' at the moment. If you can postpone it, I'd change it to a more normal time. Pubs and restaurants are still open, but despite the beautiful sunny days, it really feels down. If it's your first time, you'd probably get a wrong impression of the place.

I'd also be concerned about any additional measures that might be imposed by them especially any attempt to ban visitors from certain countries like Czech Republic have done, which could result in canned BA flights. In fact I shortened my trip to Bucharest in case that happens, as they have already imposed quarantine requirements on people from northern France, Madrid and Italy, and banned transport to/from Italy as well.
wrp96, eugnk, DrGee and 1 others like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 13, 2020 at 10:08 am
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:22 am

Travel to Heathrow on Monday then on to JFK on Tuesday for a 5 night stay (Mrs AAHCHs 40-10th birthday).

Using a 2:1, flying in J and with accommodation booked with Expedia (night at Sofitel LHR, then staying at AKA Wall Street).

Mrs A reflects that were entering a city on lock down, with all but a few attractions currently closed, bars either closed or closing around 10pm ... the city that never sleeps seems to be napping - or worse.

2:1 voucher expires in May (when somewhat ironically were using another voucher to [maybe] visit DXB) so if we canx flights, the voucher is unlikely to be used in time.

accommodation is non-refundable, though Aka may issue a voucher for future use - havent checked Sofitel yet.

views, advice, support or well-intentioned and humorous jesting welcome from all 😬🤔😊
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:24 am

I've booked a BA holiday to Warsaw for next weekend. The museum closures hit me a little bit however the sites we want to see (old town, zoo etc.) are still open at the moment. I'm figuring that unless BA cancels flights there / some sort of ban on entry for UK Nationals; Ive got no real options to postpone this trip?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
I've got an open jaw ticket starting tomorrow from LHR-GIG and then back on the first seasonal flight from LIM to LGW in a couple of weeks. However Peru has announced a ban on all flights from Europe, so I don't see how the latter flight can possibly operate. BA still hasn't cancelled the flight, though, and I'm not holding my breath that it happens in the next 24 hours.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by rachie
Please be assured that our expert teams are working closely with the UK Government
Translation: Frantically refreshing the FCO website
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC
I have a BA holiday booked for the end of this month, already paid for, which I have decided I wont be taking. It is via DFW, so my only hope for a possible refund or voucher from BA is if flights from the UK through US are cancelled. Failing that, I will try my travel insurance citing my OHs health.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by aahch
Travel to Heathrow on Monday then on to JFK on Tuesday for a 5 night stay (Mrs AAHCHs 40-10th birthday).

Using a 2:1, flying in J and with accommodation booked with Expedia (night at Sofitel LHR, then staying at AKA Wall Street).

Mrs A reflects that were entering a city on lock down, with all but a few attractions currently closed, bars either closed or closing around 10pm ... the city that never sleeps seems to be napping - or worse.

2:1 voucher expires in May (when somewhat ironically were using another voucher to [maybe] visit DXB) so if we canx flights, the voucher is unlikely to be used in time.

accommodation is non-refundable, though Aka may issue a voucher for future use - havent checked Sofitel yet.

views, advice, support or well-intentioned and humorous jesting welcome from all 😬🤔😊
Hmm. Sorry to tell you but the Missus sounds to have it about right. Has she also reflected on the possibility of return travel being disrupted, or of quarantine orders either in NY or on return to UK? Sounds unlikely today but in an evolving situation crazy things happen, e.g. Trump bans flights from EU. Bottom line: how long would it take for Mrs AAHCH to forgive you for a birthday treat that turns to disaster? I feel your pain.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Many of us have imminent trips coming up that are not presently covered by BA's cancellation policies. And we either can't practically take those trips because of government regulations at the destination, or are disinclined to take them given the current state of the world.

I'm aware that many of us are unable to change flights online, and of course it's impossible to get through to BA call centres at the moment, so there has been various advice to capture screen shots documenting attempts to contact British Airways, given that our only remaining option will be to no-show the flight. What are others thinking the end goal is here? Deal with BA after the fact and hope for the best? MCOL them if they are obstinate when presented with the evidence of attempts to contact them?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze
We are supposed to be flying to Vegas from Inverness at the start of April, although the flights are to/from Vegas we are spending the middle part of the time in LA for Universal and Disney etc. Given that Disney is now closed until end of March (and probably will continue into April) and Vegas shows etc are now being cancelled, there is little reason for our trip at this time.

We booked last May and the tickets are non changeable, what realistic options do we have, I know there's no real chance of a refund, would there be potentially a flight voucher instead? Flights were paid for with BA Amex so is there a way for refund through them ?

Really have no idea what to do.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
I just boarded the LBA-LHR flight and the cabin crew greet everyone with a big disinfectant pump bottle at the door so you can rub it on your hand.
I hope this is more widespread across the fleet as its a great reassurance for passengers in my opinion.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by injom
We are supposed to be flying to Vegas from Inverness at the start of April, although the flights are to/from Vegas we are spending the middle part of the time in LA for Universal and Disney etc. Given that Disney is now closed until end of March (and probably will continue into April) and Vegas shows etc are now being cancelled, there is little reason for our trip at this time.

We booked last May and the tickets are non changeable, what realistic options do we have, I know there's no real chance of a refund, would there be potentially a flight voucher instead? Flights were paid for with BA Amex so is there a way for refund through them ?

Really have no idea what to do.
i would wait a couple of days. I think BA will have to see what is going to be the load. There is a chance that you flight get cancelled so then you could have a full refund. Hotel chains already more flexible about cancellations. Worth to check your travel insurance too.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:29 am

I've got a couple of BA trips planned - next month to Spain and Germany, and then May to Germany. I'm not really worried personally if I get it, but I do have concerns about picking something up and transmitting it to others (elderly relatives, NHS staff who we will need at peak capacity).

One thing that I suspect affects a lot of people is how their travel insurance deals with this. Although mine does cover pandemics (cancellation and curtailment of trip), it only kicks in upon official FCO advice against travel. That doesn't apply to Spain or Germany at the moment - or indeed, many places at all!

From what I can see a lot of insurance companies adopt a similar position. I'm fortunate enough that if I were to completely cancel these trips I could take the financial hit. But I suspect we're going to have a situation where many holidaymakers cannot afford to do this - so go ahead and travel anyhow, and this results in ongoing transmission to/within the UK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.